Hat-Trick» Forums » Variants

Subject: Official solo variant thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patryk Kowalski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Please find here a pdf version of the official Solo Variant for Hat-Trick, version 1.04. Alternatively, you can download it, directly from our homepage in the news section.
Keep in mind that this is by no means a final product, but a foundation on which I'd be working to develop a Solo Goal expansion (for more, subscribe to our newsletter). Once I find the rules satisfactory for you all to play (at least until the Solo Goal comes out), I will shoot playthrough videos and post them here. Of course, until then you are all welcome to join in and playtest these rules and give your feedback, share opinions or post anything else that comes to your mind related with this variant.
For all wishing to participate I started the Solo Tournament where all wishing to play(test) the solo-variant can pick a venue and play it (results of your matches will be official).
Note, however, that any ideas you post concerning the solo play might be used in the final product (the Solo Goal expansion) without acknowledging your contribution. So if that should make you feel exploited in any way, please refrain from sharing those ideas with me.
Thanks
Patryk

1-3. Solo play: Turn sequence
0.00 – Turn sequence
1.40 – Move: success/fail
4.20 – Action: anticipated/unprepared

4-6. Solo play: Human move
0.00 – Human successful move
1.10 – Human failed move
4.56 – Example of play (human)

7-11. Solo play: AI move
0.00 – A.I. on the attack
2.05 – A.I. failed move
4.40 – A.I. successful move (step 1)
7.51 – A.I. successful move (step 2, 3, 4)
13.09 – Example of play (A.I.)

12-16. Solo play: Scoring Opportunity
0.00 – Human Scoring Opp. (successful move)
1.50 – Human Scoring Opp. (failed move + action/shot)
8.18 – A.I. Scoring Opp (successful move)
11.15 – A.I. Scoring Opp (failed move)
13.09 –A.I. Scoring Opp (action/shot)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is early in the first half of Poland Vs Rep Of Ireland. The human player (me) is playing as Poland. Poland are the Red team. ROI have the ball and are attacking.

The cards are as per the photo, and I am really struggling with the flow of what should happen. Could you talk me through how this situation would resolve...

ROI have drawn a dribble card with one power on their left. Poland have drawn a short pass of two power on their right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patryk Kowalski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
It is early in the first half of Poland Vs Rep Of Ireland. The human player (me) is playing as Poland. Poland are the Red team. ROI have the ball and are attacking.

The cards are as per the photo, and I am really struggling with the flow of what should happen. Could you talk me through how this situation would resolve...

ROI have drawn a dribble card with one power on their left. Poland have drawn a short pass of two power on their right.

First 2 things to consider are:
1) IF THE ATTACKING MOVE IS SUCCESSFUL
2) IF THE DEFENDER ANTICIPATED THE ACTION

Answers:
1) No - the move has failed because the defender has predicted the side where the attacker wants to move.
2) No - the defender was prepared for a short pass, whereas the attacker will dribble.

We start with an AI's (ROI) FAILED MOVE (we always look at attacker's successful/failed move). You move only human players, so the Red Team. The table for the AI's FAILED MOVE says that you MAY move your player BACKWARD on the side matching your card, so on the right.

And now you check the points in the move table, starting with number 1. Once a move is doable, you make it (or not if it's optional) and that's it. If number 1 is impossible to perform, you move to number 2 and so on.
But here the 1st point of the FAILED AI's MOVE TABLE tells you to make a move that STARTS BEHIND THE BALL (always looking from your perspective). So there are players available for this move, namely the UTILITY MAN 7, and the OVERLAPPING FB. You MAY move one of those BACKWARD.

Once you do it, you make a sideways pass for the AI. So the ball goes to the COMBATIVE MID. And then we move to the action phase.

And here, since you did not anticipate AI's dribble, the AI's Action Card's Power is doubled, so it is 2. There's a draw and since in a draw we always consider the Action card's original power, Poland (you) have a stronger card, so you get the ball.

One last thing - you wrote that Poles have 'drawn' a short pass. Perhaps it's a shortcut, but I just to make sure: since you play Poland, you play cards for them.

Hope it helps. Come back if you have more questions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, thanks for that. I will head back to the stadium and consider the move. To be clear, as Poland, I did choose the card - poor terminology on my part!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patryk Kowalski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I corrected my answer as I just realized, I got the sides mixed up (considered left, instead of right).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, that's great. I think I got myself in a muddle 'trying to make the AI move successful'. I will continue...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patryk Kowalski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
OK, that's great. I think I got myself in a muddle 'trying to make the AI move successful'. I will continue...

Yeah, that would be your priority if the Ireland's move was successful (if they moved on their right). Then, your first option would be to make their move successful by, for example, moving number 8 forward or backward (you would be moving on the AI's card's side then). The sideways pass would go to the ROI's right wing (because of their Action Card's side) and they would win the dribble there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hunt
England
Lincoln
Lincolnshire
flag msg tools
Angry Imp Games
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question;

In the FAILED section of the "Human Player on the Attack" section. The top line says;

"The move may not turn your failed attack into a successful one"

and two lines down it says;

"If no move would make your action successful, ..."

I am a little confused by this as the second statement seems to contradict the first.

Also, I am not sure I understand the intent of the first line anyway! Does it mean that result of my subsequent action can not be successful?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good catch about the two conflicting sentences!

BrianJohnHunt wrote:

Also, I am not sure I understand the intent of the first line anyway! Does it mean that result of my subsequent action can not be successful?

It means you can not make it succeed through your move. It may still succeed if the conditions were there to make it succeed before your move.

But i have had my problems with that rule too. I fear it creates too many uncertainties and may make the game more complex than it needs to be.
Maybe there are other, less procedural options to strengthen the AI (like giving them a +1 bonus to all card values or something like that), but we will find out once we see more results and experiences with the existing rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patryk Kowalski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
BrianJohnHunt wrote:
Another question;

In the FAILED section of the "Human Player on the Attack" section. The top line says;

"The move may not turn your failed attack into a successful one"

and two lines down it says;

"If no move would make your action successful, ..."

I am a little confused by this as the second statement seems to contradict the first.

It can be successful – provided it was successful after revealing the cards.
However, if after revealing Action Cards but before making a move your action would fail (including the sideways pass), your failed move may not reverse this.

You're right that the second statement is a bit confusing – I wanted to express that if your action were to fail, you should move to AI's successful move. Perhaps "if before making a move you'd lose the ball, jump to..." would be better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patryk Kowalski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
But i have had my problems with that rule too. I fear it creates too many uncertainties and may make the game more complex than it needs to be.
Maybe there are other, less procedural options to strengthen the AI (like giving them a +1 bonus to all card values or something like that), but we will find out once we see more results and experiences with the existing rules.

Perhaps it would help if you checked your action before revealing the cards. If it was unsuccessful beforehand, you would know your play is risky and if the computer 'blocks' your move, you'll lose the ball.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
They call me Mister...
Ireland
Donegal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A couple of things that came up - sorry if they are stupid questions, these are my first games and I would have liked to started with 2 player ideally but that's not too easy here:

1) I had some confusion about "in front of" and "behind" the ball - is this always from the perspective of the human player or is it always from the perspective of the direction the ball is heading?

2) In tie breakers the higher power action card wins - does this ignore when the AI card is doubled or not?

Generally things flowed pretty smoothly except on the occasions where movement would make your failed move into a success. I wasn't very good but then that's to be expected.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ibbo wrote:
A couple of things that came up - sorry if they are stupid questions, these are my first games and I would have liked to started with 2 player ideally but that's not too easy here:

1) I had some confusion about "in front of" and "behind" the ball - is this always from the perspective of the human player or is it always from the perspective of the direction the ball is heading?

Since i also asked this and got an "official" answer, allow me to respond: it is always from the perspective of the human team (towards the human controlled goalie is always "behind")

ibbo wrote:
2) In tie breakers the higher power action card wins - does this ignore when the AI card is doubled or not?

This is mentioned on the solo rules sheet: ignore the doubling, just the normal value counts.

ibbo wrote:
Generally things flowed pretty smoothly except on the occasions where movement would make your failed move into a success. I wasn't very good but then that's to be expected.

I played two tournament games now and i agree. It would be great if that part could be streamlined a bit further. Overall, while i enjoy the solo games, i am missing the ease and speed of play of the normal game a bit. It changes from a fast paced sports simulation to a bit of a mind twister. Understandably so, but still...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patryk Kowalski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ibbo wrote:

Benji got all the answers right, so just go on with it.
Thanks for the feedback - much appreciated.
As for the rule you and Benji find mind twisting, it is just the first version so such things might happen - I will be looking closely into anything that you write and once the tournament finishes, I will gladly discuss the main issues and then react accordingly.
The printer friendly version coming soon.
Cheers!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patryk Kowalski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Benji68 wrote:
I played two tournament games now and i agree. It would be great if that part could be streamlined a bit further. Overall, while i enjoy the solo games, i am missing the ease and speed of play of the normal game a bit. It changes from a fast paced sports simulation to a bit of a mind twister. Understandably so, but still...

Please do not think I am defending the current version (I am not, it will be modified after all) but at the beginning I also found everything mind boggling - the sides, whose move succeeded, whose failed, etc. Even when I was shooting the first tutorials of the solo variant, I realized after a while that i keep ignoring the said rule. Still, after a while it sunk in pretty nicely and now the game seem to be flowing. Still, as I said, I'll be keeping an eye on this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefanos Pallas
Greece
Trikala
flag msg tools
Achilles and Ajax playing a boardgame
mbmbmbmbmb
One week later, I came upon a very long list of updates about the solo variant and I tried to read as many as possible.
So, I was anxious to see this variant in practice and I came up with the following case. Please, forgive me if it has already been answered but I didn't find it.
This is the situation ...

The AI (Red Team) is having a Scoring Opportunity. Its move is succesful and anticipated.
According to the rules, Human (Blue Team) player must switch places with an opponent and move a player forward that must end its move 1 line in front of the ball (3rd option but possible-exchange places of the Holding MD with the Target Man or even worse for the AI, exchange places of the Wingback with the Classic WG).
However, this will ruin the chance of the Red Team, since the ball carrier (False No. 9) will make a sideways pass to the TM/Classic WG and miss the chance to use its special skill to step inside the peanlty area in front of the keeper. The new ball carrier (TM), though, will have the chance to dribble the Utility Man in front of him but, since both are equal with equal cards, this will result to a penalty!
What to do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patryk Kowalski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
stepal wrote:
What to do?

Very interesting case, Stefanos.
The answer: you must move your Holding Mid forward, so it is a penalty.
Why Holding Mid and not the Wingback?
Look at the AI's SUCCESSFUL MOVE algorithm. There is a box after the 4 steps which says that:

while performing a move in a Scoring Opp. and presented with a choice (like in your case, between TM and Wingback), move:
1st: player with the ball (False 9 - in your case ineligible because of the wrong side)
2nd: player in the central position (and that is your TM)

I hope it is clear now. If not, let me know.
Cheers!

Please see Lunadpis's post underneath. There's the correct answer. Sorry for misleading you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lunadips Sixsmtih
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hat Trick wrote:
The answer: you must move your Holding Mid forward, so it is a penalty.

Oh Blimey.....you see i would have suggested that:

You must move the Holding Mid (BLUE) forward and swap positions with the Target Man (RED) and a sideways pass is made from False No.9 (RED) to the Target Man (RED)...(so far so good!).........BUT then i would have thought that since we are in Scoring Opportunity Action phase the Dribble card action merely means that the Target Man(Red) can shoot without having to pass first and since the power of the action card is "4 balls" then it meets the criteria for the A.I. Target Man(Red) to shoot on goal from the penultimate line (a 3 square).

Under Scoring Opportunity in the base rules it says:
"DRIBBLING does nothing, yet lets the player with the ball shoot without the need to pass." Hence that is how i have always played the Dribble card in Scoring Opportunity (even for A.I.. Have i been playing this incorrectly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patryk Kowalski
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
lunadips wrote:
You must move the Holding Mid (BLUE) forward and swap positions with the Target Man (RED) and a sideways pass is made from False No.9 (RED) to the Target Man (RED)...(so far so good!).........BUT then i would have thought that since we are in Scoring Opportunity Action phase the Dribble card action merely means that the Target Man(Red) can shoot without having to pass first and since the power of the action card is "4 balls" then it meets the criteria for the A.I. Target Man(Red) to shoot on goal from the penultimate line (a 3 square).

Under Scoring Opportunity in the base rules it says:
"DRIBBLING does nothing, yet lets the player with the ball shoot without the need to pass." Hence that is how i have always played the Dribble card in Scoring Opportunity (even for A.I.. Have i been playing this incorrectly?

Of course, you are right!
I was after a long journey, pretty tired and wanted to answer ASAP and missed the fact that it's a Scoring Opp.
Thanks for that.
I am working for my royal dipstick badge
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefanos Pallas
Greece
Trikala
flag msg tools
Achilles and Ajax playing a boardgame
mbmbmbmbmb
Hat Trick wrote:
Please see Lunadpis's post underneath. There's the correct answer. Sorry for misleading you.

Sorry for not reading or forgeting all or some of the Scoring Opportunity rules' section. Thank both of you for the clarification. Next time I'll think twice before asking. meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.