Subject: How great Australia is. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Well that's all it took to get me back to this cold etheric camp-fire.

Thought I'd tell you how great Australia is.
Some of you might be thinking of moving here and I might be able to help you.

So say you start a small business in Australia and you employ a few of the locals. And it's all going well and then after a year one of your workers just stops turning up on Fridays and Mondays. No notice, no phone calls. You ask what is happening but just get told stories. And the absenteeism just continues.
Reckon you can fire them for this? Reckon you can discipline them for this? Reckon you can warn them for sub-standard performance for this?

Nup you can't. And if you try it's probably harrassment. To get rid of them you'll have to do something like offer them $20K to leave, or find and build up some other reason to fire them.

The quickest growing company in Australia (privately held -I've already checked) will charge you just $2.5K per year to run your HR and contract and fire. And they'll insurure you against being sued by a disgruntled employee.

So if you Trump fleeers can share your details - especially about what sort of business you plan to set up in Australia - then I can see what sort of work I'd most like to do for a 3 day week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
I'm not your lover. I'm not your friend.
badge
I am something you will never comprehend.
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
So say you start a small business in Australia and you employ a few of the locals. And it's all going well and then after a year one of your workers just stops turning up on Fridays and Mondays. No notice, no phone calls. You ask what is happening but just get told stories. And the absenteeism just continues.

Reckon you can fire them for this? Reckon you can discipline them for this? Reckon you can warn them for sub-standard performance for this?

Nup you can't. And if you try it's probably harrassment. To get rid of them you'll have to do something like offer them $20K to leave, or find and build up some other reason to fire them.

Oh . . . like government jobs.

https://fee.org/articles/in-government-nobody-quits-and-you-...

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/civil-servant-protection-system-...

http://www.govexec.com/magazine/briefing/2012/07/wielding-ax...

http://dailycaller.com/2016/03/03/heres-why-its-all-but-impo...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Yes. Though for small business employees.

Are you going to flee Trump?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:

No. I didn't flee Obama either.

Most Americans don't have the money available to allow then to just jet off to another country and live as ex-pats.

And then even with the non-stop attack on our constitutional rights over the last 8 years, we still recognize that we have more freedom here than in most developed countries.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you really are encouraging Americans to emigrate, I think your biggest worry will be an influx of CNN personalities.

I recommend keeping a close eye on them. Perhaps set up internment camps in advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Pinook wrote:

No. I didn't flee Obama either.

Most Americans don't have the money available to allow then to just jet off to another country and live as ex-pats.

And then even with the non-stop attack on our constitutional rights over the last 8 years, we still recognize that we have more freedom here than in most developed countries.

Nobody will flee. The obvious havne for the butthurt liberals is Mexico, duh. It's cheap to live there. But the problem for the liberals is too many brown skins (which they like in principle but find deplorable to be around) and Mexico has some pretty serious (and fiercely applied) immigration laws. If our new president actually does deliver even a quarter of what he claims he will I'd hope that one of the things he does is make it easier to start a business here. It's already easier than in most countries but over the course of the last 3 presidents that has begun to tighten up.

Pinook, sorry to hear you guys down there are fucked. Perhaps New Zealand will have you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Чебурашка, ты настоящий друг!
United Kingdom
Durham
flag msg tools
Scheiß Inselaffen!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

The US seems to be behind Australia in rankings provided by the Cato Institute, the Fraser Institute and the Economist Intelligence Unit.

But they are incorrigible Marxists, that is true.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I work in the gun industry, please tell me more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pffttt..
You sack them before they have completed their qualifying period. 6 or 12 months depending on how big your business is. Then you pay them out one weeks "sorry you didn't make it" wage (two weeks if they are +45 years).

So easy..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Pinook wrote:
And it's all going well and then after a year one of your workers just stops turning up on Fridays and Mondays. No notice, no phone calls. You ask what is happening but just get told stories. And the absenteeism just continues.

I fail to see the downside.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Koldfoot wrote:
Pinook wrote:
And it's all going well and then after a year one of your workers just stops turning up on Fridays and Mondays. No notice, no phone calls. You ask what is happening but just get told stories. And the absenteeism just continues.

I fail to see the downside.
Take off your free-loadin hyper-subsidised Alaskan hat for a minute and put on your employee hat. The downsides here include not being paid for days off once your sick leave is used up. And then there is the loss of intangibles like being able to slack off at work while still getting paid. Or stealing stationary. As an employee this regime is very confronting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Andrew we have to have a beer. Are you still in Perth? We could probably find better things to talk about than "after a year".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
jeremycobert wrote:
I work in the gun industry, please tell me more.

Are your guns optimised for killing only the right enemy-type people?
If so contact http://www.aidn.org.au/ and ask about setting up a business using your technology in Australia.
If they are recreational guns you may still be able to export recreational M16 s to our neighbours.

Just because our city folk don't trust themselves or any Australian recreational shooter with guns that probably wouldn't get in the way of desirable export earnings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook is back. All rejoice!

I KNEW rsp would get better after the elections.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Venga2 wrote:
Pinook is back. All rejoice!

I KNEW rsp would get better after the elections.

Yes, I have no doubts that my presence will once again inspire considered and considerate dialog moving all involved to engage more fully with what life brings.

LOL
They really shouldn't have done that.
It's times like this that having a God who will guide the USA on the path of righteousness would be very re-assuring.
We've got a Radio National presenter, a former federal minister, who frequently repeats a mantra about respecting the elected representatives of democratic nations. Apparently because she thinks the electors knew what they were voting for. Fantastic epistemology. Though she doesn't see that it could apply to elected rep Jeremy Corben, who she lambasts.

I don't rember your presence the last time I looked in - have you too come to share the warmth of the RSP beacon-fire as you await the seemingly inevitable bad news?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
I don't rember your presence the last time I looked in - have you too come to share the warmth of the RSP beacon-fire as you await the seemingly inevitable bad news?
I am always here, except when I don't feel like it, am to busy, am on holiday etc etc.

In any case I lurk more and more rather then post actively, primarily because of a lack of fun and interactive denizens such as yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
Sandy Springs
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure you have some awesome point, but all I thought when I read this is there is no fucking way I am moving to Australia with your giant monster bugs.

Hey, I'm sure it's a beautiful country with awesome people. Or not, who knows. But I'll never fucking find out because seriously, what the fuck is wrong with your insect population?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
I'm sure you have some awesome point, but all I thought when I read this is there is no fucking way I am moving to Australia with your giant monster bugs.

Hey, I'm sure it's a beautiful country with awesome people. Or not, who knows. But I'll never fucking find out because seriously, what the fuck is wrong with your insect population?

It's not just the bugs. Everything in Australia is venomous. Especially the drop bears.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jasper
Netherlands
Leiden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meh. I've been there, and the worst that happended is some big fucking ant bit me and that hurt for an hour or so. Well, at least on the biting part. That obviously discounts swarms of flies trying to crawl up your nose and in your ears. And the mosquitos eating you alive at night.

So fair enough, I guess. Still an awesome place well worth visiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
Where they make a desert, they call it peace.
mbmbmbmbmb
wifwendell wrote:
galad2003 wrote:

It's not just the bugs. Everything in Australia is venomous. Especially the drop bears.

But we have cool birds -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers.
Australia
Point Lonsdale
Victoria
flag msg tools
Where they make a desert, they call it peace.
mbmbmbmbmb
Our spiders are cool too -

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.