Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
In several occasions in the rules, it is specified that "backtracking" is not allowed (while adding track tiles, when placing tokens and while running routes).
I have read the rulebook twice and failed to find the meaning of this word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

If a train arrives on this tile from the top right on the grey track, then heads to right using the black rail, that's backtracking. Only allowed directions for running trains on this track is from top right to top left (or top left to top right) or top left to right (or right to top left).

You can't run a train on a track, then head backwards on that same track. You can only pass each section of track once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc magner
United States
webster
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
msaari wrote:

If a train arrives on this tile from the top right on the grey track, then heads to right using the black rail, that's backtracking. Only allowed directions for running trains on this track is from top right to top left (or top left to top right) or top left to right (or right to top left).

You can't run a train on a track, then head backwards on that same track. You can only pass each section of track once.

can't find a great image to explain, but the NYC can neither go to the city at G7 nor can it go back to chicago via the "24 tile" SW of South Bend if its route originates in chicago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Kafka
United States
St. Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone else had a similar question a few weeks ago. The answers there may help as well:
Backtracking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
JosefK wrote:
Someone else had a similar question a few weeks ago. The answers there may help as well:
Backtracking

I went through the forum before posting and somehow missed it. modest

Thanks for the clarification. It all make sense now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
They way it was taught to me, and makes the most sense:

You can only use any section or length of track once, no matter how short the length. Circles representing cites are not track.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
afafard wrote:
I have read the rulebook twice and failed to find the meaning of this word.

That's because its ordinary English meaning *is* the intended meaning: "to go back over a course or path" (Merriam-Webster)

It is not a reserved game term with a special meaning for this game (unlike "closed", "debt", "redeem", or most of the glossary terms which have meanings related to their ordinary English meanings but specific to the game). The term is enclosed in quotes to indicate that it is a general concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
Canada
Candiac
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
English not being my first language, with the added fact that backtracking word is always between quotes in the rules, led me to believe there was a special meaning to it.

Thank you Tom for taking the time to clarify. Much appreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.