• [+] Dice rolls
Trueflight Silverwing
United States
Waverly
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
still annoyed with these as I would rather have new ships and upgrades that just repackaged old ones. I didn't much care for the new plaint scheme on the repainted Galor either.

The ship itself is cool, but I already have 4.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
We have a total of 6 new players in our OP group, this amounts to at least 1/3 of all players for STAW at the local store. For them the re-releases are neccicary so they do not have to pay stupid prices to online scalpers to get the old retail ships.

Its a pain for those of us that have everything and want new stuff, but probably good for the life of the game overall.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The strange thing about this game is that it doesn't really need to cost more than you want it to. Now that seems a crazy thing to say when you look at the prices on eBay for the old ships. But the rules themselves aren't that difficult to come up with and you can always make up your own ships and your own cards and match them up with miniatures you already have or can get on a place like Shapeways.

So maybe all you have to do is to judiciously dip into the Player created ships on BGG for ship models you can find (anywhere) and make those legal for your venue. As long as you agree on what the rules are going to be, and as long as you authorize whatever new ships you allow people to play, everything should go OK.

But if you're waiting for Whiz Kids to get all those old ships back on the game store shelves, I think you're going to be waiting a long time. I know this seems like a wacky concept, but it's really not much different from other games like Full Thrust. That game is all about re-using any old ship miniature you might have. But there's no reason you can't do that with this game too.

Or even easier just allow your players to use proxies. You can create copies of existing cards on your computer and print them out, or you can make copies of the existing cards. Either way, as long as the player can get a moderately believable ship model for the game, let him play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
While totally true for friendly games, it's not the case for OP play as the cards need to be tournament legal.

Also, Shapeways can be WAY more expensive than ebay sometimes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Typheron wrote:
While totally true for friendly games, it's not the case for OP play as the cards need to be tournament legal.

Also, Shapeways can be WAY more expensive than ebay sometimes.

True on Shapeways, Regionals and Nationals yes. But if you are just a bunch of guys playing OPs, the rules are what you say they are. Even if the game store is buying the OP packs, if the players are paying entry fees you could probably play anything you want as long as they get their money.

Now if the store actually STOCKS the ships you may get pushback. In my area only 1 store still has any ships and they are drying up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Typheron Joyzxqk
United Kingdom
Bathgate
Scotland
flag msg tools
Ordo Xenos | T.I.U.F.
badge
Set Phasers tae Malkey!
mbmbmbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
True on Shapeways, Regionals and Nationals yes. But if you are just a bunch of guys playing OPs, the rules are what you say they are.

While this is true, we find we have to have some consistency on the ruleset we are using, a lot of people get intimidated by the full Tournament rules. Conversely to this, poeple also get put off if there is not a solid structure to things with limitations on what can and cannot be done. Photocopying a bunch of Type-8 phasers and upgraded phasers to make any 3 attack fed ship into a 5 attack beasty is a big on on the list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Typheron wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:
True on Shapeways, Regionals and Nationals yes. But if you are just a bunch of guys playing OPs, the rules are what you say they are.

While this is true, we find we have to have some consistency on the ruleset we are using, a lot of people get intimidated by the full Tournament rules. Conversely to this, poeple also get put off if there is not a solid structure to things with limitations on what can and cannot be done. Photocopying a bunch of Type-8 phasers and upgraded phasers to make any 3 attack fed ship into a 5 attack beasty is a big on on the list.

There does have to be an agreement on what to allow -- what new ships are reasonable in power, what proxies to allow. This might be hard to achieve if a few people already have all the ships and like to maintain their advantage by denying others without the ships or the money to compete. But it might be easier if all or most are starting out fresh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.