Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
fer moros
South Korea
Kwang-Ju
Gwangju
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the look of the games with the screens.
But, have you experience the game without them? that is, allowing tiles and icons to be seen by the other players?

To leave the icons at the open releases players of the effort of trying to remember how many of each type everybody won.. unless you consider that part of the game... players can focused better on the game tactics and dont have to remember about the icons taken.

I am not sure about playing with the tiles at open, but I am interested to know your opinions. thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Ben-Ezra
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Screens or not Screens?
fmoros (#24729),

I will admit that I have not played without screens, but I do consider the hidden information to be an important part of the game. In 2-player play, hiding the figures isn't critical, because it is possible to determine your opponent's score via some quick math. However, with more players, this simply isn't possible. In this way, it becomes important to track (either precisely or by "gut feeling") your opponent's standings.

In any case, I think that hiding tiles is critical. A big part of the game is the "surprise move" or "snatching victory from the jaws of defeat". Much of the game revolves around timing and surprise. Revealing all the tiles ruins the surprise function, turning the game into an exercise in calculation.

Plus, the screens do add a pleasant aesthetic touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Weage
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
fmoros (#24729),

Because I have a very good memory, I often end up playing many games (at the request of the others in the group) in some sort of "open face" version. Samurai seems relatively unchanged by keeping the captured figures in the open. And just for those who missed it, the rules for two-players leave the figures exposed - because, of course, it is calculatable so why waste time and slow the game down making people do it.

(If you play with exposed figures you won't ever see that end of game moment of surprise when the screens go down and a player realizes they have miscounted and are better off than they thought. The player with perfect memory will only see that loss and nothing gained in return, because they already knew where everything was, but the other players will gain the benefit of being able to see and understand their progress toward the victory conditions.)

Playing with the tiles in the open ruins the game. The tactical play loses any element of surprise killing half the fun. Also, people seem compelled to mentally process through every possible response, which slows the game down and drains away the other half of the fun. So I completely agree with the other opinions expressed previously.

BTW I recently lost a game. Another player thought she had a majority in one item, but it turned out she was only tied for that type figure. Due to a very even split, she did have the majority in her second best figure type. This increased her "non-majority" scoring figures and allowed her to win. That was a great moment that could not have happened with exposed figures.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Kwan
Hong Kong
Hong Kong
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
B Weage (#35491),

BTW I recently lost a game. Another player thought she had a majority in one item, but it turned out she was only tied for that type figure. Due to a very even split, she did have the majority in her second best figure type. This increased her "non-majority" scoring figures and allowed her to win.

With exposed figures, she could have grabbed one more figure in her best type and won with two majorities. So she isn't getting any disadvantage for having one less figure in this case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BoB 3K
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Kwan (#87739),

I've only played the game two player so far, but I like the figures exposed. I think it adds to the strategy of the game, because you know what you have to go for. Now, if everyone is keeping good track of the captured pieces, they could still do this. But the people I game with wouldn't take that much time, and so in essence, it would simply lower the level of strategy in our games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
fmoros (#24729),

Screens. Ditto for Euphrate & Tigris and Zoo Le Mio

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Karlsen (#484377),

Quite. I wouldn't consider play Samurai with the figures behind the screens (why bother?), and only play E&T with the cubes in front of the screens (only the tiles behind).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leonardo Gonzalez
Mexico
Laredo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I could play both ways but in the end screens is better.

There could be a situation without screens in a 3 or 4 player game that one of the players that cant no longer win will decide the victory for one of the other players. It should be rare but it has happened.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Leonardo wrote:
I could play both ways but in the end screens is better.

There could be a situation without screens in a 3 or 4 player game that one of the players that cant no longer win will decide the victory for one of the other players. It should be rare but it has happened.

Ths has nothing to do with screens and every thing to do with the simple test of memory. The only thing screens add to that equation is an opportunity for human fallibility to be the reason the game was thrown. A player with good memory can still kingmake in confidence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.