Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
stk mx
United States
Elburn
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I anxiously await the delivery of this awesome game, I have been reading rules repeatedly, planning the starting party, and preparing on which starting items, etc. Looking at the Chainmail armor card on page 8 of the rules, it can reduce the next three sources of damage by 1; however adds three -1 cards to your attack modifier deck. As I love this thematic mechanic of the armor being somewhat restrictive to one's attack, the Chainmail will be spent rather soon in a scenario since damage seems to occur frequently. Refreshing the Chainmail is an option after a long rest is performed; but not sure how detrimental this can be during a scenario. Without a long rest, it is a cumulative save 3 for a cumulative -3, and the three -1 cards stay in the attack modifier deck until the end of the scenario. Is the armor that beneficial by itself, or is it more beneficial in combination with other items? Or are long rests more frequent than I think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom H
Australia
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Chain-mail gives a basic 13% (3/(20+3))chance of doing -1 damage each time you attack. I think that is much less than the incoming damage it will prevent.

2. The more armour a character wears the more often they should choose to long rest, which is thematic.

3. Characters that will be wearing a lot of armour will prefer to get upgrades that add bonus cards to their attack modifier deck, whereas those who don't plan to wear much armour would be more likely to choose to remove penalty cards. Meaning the same character could be built to use heavy armour or they could prefer not so much armour.

I think it will be balanced and, further, I think it adds a lot of characterisation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Klein
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmb
Some classes also have upgrades that allow you to ignore negative item effects (e.g., -1 modifiers from armor). As soon as you have one of these, you can armor up as much as you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Owen
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi.

In regards to how often the long rests may occur, here is an interesting thread from early on where someone breaks down the average number of rounds.

https://boardgamegeek.com/article/20536715#20536715

Keep in my that both a short and long rest will force you to lose a card.

However, a short still allows you to play your turn. Where the long rest is your whole turn with minor healing, readying your equipment again, and choosing which card you will permanently lose

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.