4 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dice pool of zero, no enmity tokens left, port ability questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. If the nodifiers to a dice pool for an endeavour take the pool to zero or less, is that endeavour impossible to attempt, or an automatic failure, or dies thye player always have one die to use no matter how many modifiers reduce the dice pool?

2. One of the structures gives a 'free' repair to any ships thst end their sail action in the province woth the structure. I think it's the port. Does this cause damage that isually costs gold to repair to be free to tepair instead of costing gold?

3. If a player has no enmity tokens left and wishes to raid an island site, can he do this and lose glory as the note in the Captain's Booke says about entries? What about raiding other provinces?

4. Are the spaces on the board in the province regions for filling in player created names for the name of the province, or can they be used as the capital city of the province instead?

Eco
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Ecosmith wrote:
1. If the nodifiers to a dice pool for an endeavour take the pool to zero or less, is that endeavour impossible to attempt, or an automatic failure, or dies thye player always have one die to use no matter how many modifiers reduce the dice pool?

There's no minimum number of dice listed in the rules, so you just have no dice. (And fortune tokens work by changing a blank to a normal success, so you can't use those to succeed without dice).

Ecosmith wrote:
2. One of the structures gives a 'free' repair to any ships thst end their sail action in the province woth the structure. I think it's the port. Does this cause damage that isually costs gold to repair to be free to tepair instead of costing gold?

You still have to pay the gold. (There's a developer reference somewhere around here, I can dig it up if you need it).

Ecosmith wrote:
3. If a player has no enmity tokens left and wishes to raid an island site, can he do this and lose glory as the note in the Captain's Booke says about entries? What about raiding other provinces?

You can't attempt a raid without enmity to pay for it. (Again, there's a developer reference somewhere). If you're forced to pay enmity you don't have, you lose 1 glory per unpaid enmity.

Ecosmith wrote:
4. Are the spaces on the board in the province regions for filling in player created names for the name of the province, or can they be used as the capital city of the province instead?

We put our province names there, but we haven't seen anything that's made the written name matter.

EDIT: Here's the unofficial FAQ with developer references: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1606358/captains-log-unoffi...

The enmity question is actually in the rulebook, p. 11:

Quote:
Running out of Enmity
If an action would require more enmity tokens than you have available to spend, you may not take that action. If, through an unplanned course of events, you are required to spend an enmity token you do not have, instead lose 1 glory per enmity token you cannot spend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaël Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
lactamaeon wrote:
Ecosmith wrote:

There's no minimum number of dice listed in the rules, so you just have no dice. (And fortune tokens work by changing a blank to a normal success, so you can't use those to succeed without dice).

...But you need at least one success, so if you go in without any dice, unless you have some special effect granting you success, you're going to fail.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Unless you have some special effect granting you success" is a key phrase here. There are game effects that can grant bonus successes, and if your endeavor results in at least one success and your ship survives, then you succeed.

For example, (Box 1 spoiler)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
research cards will often grant bonus successes.

Here's a very contrived example: I am using an explore-2 ship (and no advisor bonus) to explore a "fire" site (difficulty 4) on ... Island E, I think? (The one that resists all endeavors.) So I have zero dice. I use two Ancient Maps, giving me +2 successes. I roll no dice, but get two successes from the maps; I take two damage and survive. Therefore I succeed in the endeavor.

I wouldn't recommend doing this; it's a very expensive way to get one glory and (probably) one good. But legitimate, to my understanding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.