18 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Investigator Minis rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
Just a heads up to anyone interested in upgrading their investigator mini-cards with plastic investigator minis: the five investigators in the Core Set are still available for sale on the FFG website, for $3.99 apiece (+ shipping). Sounds like a worthwhile investment.

LINK: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/products/arkham-horror...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
I saw those and in the tiny thumbnails the painting looks pretty horrific. Like the old Heroclicks figures.

My suggestion is get those little stands for cardboard miniatures like these

http://www.boardgameextras.co.uk/item.php?id=1405

and put your mini investigator cards in them.

What do you reckon?

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
While the FFG miniatures are no works of art, I find them much better than the mini-cards in the game (which take up too much space). Maybe it's just my old eyes, but they look okay enough to me to enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Rydin
Sweden
Helsingborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One could always strip the pain of these pre-painted investigators and do a proper paint-job with them.. If unpainted minis are not to be found with less than buying old AH boxes..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bowling
msg tools
mb
I put a wash over them and layered up again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
I have to admit that I'm not so fussy about the paint job on the FFG minis. Even the unpainted ones of Mansions of Madness 2nd ed. seem a lot nicer than the mini cards that come with the game. Just my opinion, though.

I have also found (on Ebay) some minis for a lot of the monsters that also show up in the Core Set game that have been rebased to resemble the FFG investigator minis. The paint quality is about the same as the FFG investigator minis, and I still use the enemy cards that come with the Core Set, but just having a couple of monster minis on the table in front of me really dresses up the game.

Hopefully, future expansions will continue to use investigators that remain available for purchase through the FFG website (or at least in MoM 2nd ed. and its expansions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I paint miniatures, and yet purchased these pre-painted minis.

They aren't amazing paint jobs, but are just dandy, more than adequate for the games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I put an order in for the core investigators. I'd been on the fence about them for a while, but they aren't that expensive for prepaints so if the paints are really bad I could just strip them and repaint them. I suspect they'll be fine though. The close up photography on those minis I think may have been a mistake. They are showing off a lot that probably won't be too noticeable when they are at arms length on the table.

I decided to go with them because I just feel like mini sculpts work on the location cards better than the mini cards. I like leaving the mini cards in the player area to denote who has taken a turn currently, but I hate having them out in the field cluttering up the card area. When 4 investigators are at the same area with a monster or other encounter card it does get a bit jumbled.

Will let you guys know what I think when I get them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for speaking up guys.

Chick how are the sculpts? If they were to be stripped and repainted is there enough detail to make them shine?

Phoenix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Pérez Cantalapiedra
Spain
Zaragoza
Zaragoza
flag msg tools
SirRoke wrote:
While the FFG miniatures are no works of art, I find them much better than the mini-cards in the game (which take up too much space). Maybe it's just my old eyes, but they look okay enough to me to enjoy.

In fact, I am missing the stands, like those of Eldritch Horror. I think I will craft some homemade ones so that the mini cards can be used in vertical.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Taylor S
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
You don't have to strip them. They've done the base coating for you! Just wash with the appropriate shades, then do a bit of highlighting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I bought all of them because I do not see myself painting anytime.

They are nice enough. They obviously will not be as nice as someone hand painting, but it's much better than gray!

I would advise only getting them if you play some of the other games too (Elder Sign, Arkham Horror, Mansions of Madness, Eldritch Horror) as it's quite an investment for a single game - unless that game happens to be your absolute favorite (such as Arkham Horror for me - but I play all the games I listed so I went for it).

If you paint, then you can look at Mansions of Madness to get the unpainted ones; just make sure whatever you buy has the figures you want as they are spread throughout multiple expansions. But, due to cost, I'd recommend actually liking Mansions of Madness to offset the cost.

Note that the confusion below is that there are 2 editions of Mansions of Madness. The supplement packs contain figures/tiles for use in 2nd edition, but if you already have or do get the 1st edition equivalent, you will not need the supplement packs as the 1st edition has all those tiles/figures plus everything needed to play 1st edition.

Nothing besides the figures and tiles is needed for 2nd edition (as anything else comes in the 2nd edition base game), which is why those supplement packs only include tiles/figures.

Note, the issue is that so far, you cannot buy any packs that have the following AHLCG investigators:
Agnes
Daisy
Skids
Roland
So - only Wendy (which is in the 2nd edition base game) but new AHLCG investigators will come out over time so I put up the full list (although Mansions of Madness is going to expand as well - and I only listed ones that have already been released).

2nd edition Suppressed Memories Figure and Tile Collection - 8 investigators:
Also all in 1st edition base game:
Jenny Barnes
Gloria Goldberg
Kate Winthrop
Sister Mary
Harvey Walters
Joe Diamond
Michael McGlen
Ashcan Pete

2nd edition Recurring Nightmares Figure and Tile Collection - 8 investigators (both sets of 4):

Also in 1st edition Forbidden Alchemy expansion:
Vincent Lee
Dexter Drake
Carolyn Fern
Darrell Simmons

Also in 1st edition Call of the Wild expansion:
Amanda Sharpe
Bob Jenkins
Mandy Thompson
Monterey Jack

The 2nd edition base game comes with:
Minh Thi Phan
Rita Young
Wendy Adams
Agatha Crane
Carson Sinclair
Father Mateo
Preston Fairmont
William Yorick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I will also note that some prefer using the tokens given as they enjoy looking at the artwork so not everyone will prefer minis vs tokens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xuzu Horror
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
And a good summary of the miniature breakdown can be found here:
https://mattsigal.shinyapps.io/MoM_Investigators/

(it's an app to pick a random Mansions of Madness character, but it gives a breakdown of the investigators before selecting the random part).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
So I received the mini sculpts in the mail today. They are actually pretty nice. As I suspected if you hold them at arm's length you can't really see the imperfections that you see in the website photos. That said when I held them up closer to my eyes I can see the color bleed and missed details, but I think all these guys are gonna need is a wash to make the details pop and hide the bleed on the borders of two colors. Then they'll look like perfectly fine tabletop quality paint jobs.

I got all five core investigators and Rex and Zoey. Jenny and Jim have been sold out for ages now and they still haven't restocked them. Roland's sculpt probably has the most issues. His face lacks some detail and he has a lot of color bleed between his face and his popped collar. Though even in his case you can't tell if he's two feet away from you.

So the short of it is the photos were telling the truth but in a real world setting they actually look quite nice. I hope they do a reprint for the popular investigators.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
You think that's air you're breathing?
badge
We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant That We Should voyage far.
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish they would offer them for sale painted AND unpainted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess technically they do since many of these investigators can be found in the various boxes for Mansions Of Madness. Though you can't buy them separate from all the game components in those boxes.

I wonder if they will bother reprinting these prepaints. They weren't flying off the shelves before AH LCG. I guess Mansions got a second edition so there might be a new market for prepaints between the two games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
Don't forget Marie Lambeau, especially if you preordered The Investigators of Arkham Horror book. Her mini is currently in stock at the FFG website.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.