Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike King7
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This game sounds very interesting. Should we go for it or punt? Lol! Sorry; I had to do it... In all honesty though, I will buy it just because it's Chris Kluwe. Go Vikings!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Here Chris (upper-left) explaining the game at a playtest session at Victory Point Games.

Alan Emrich

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Burnett
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Arg, I got caught up in a 13 hour game on Saturday and wasn't able to get by the booth again to check it out. I look forward to more being posted about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Smith
United States
Newburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Stay thirsty my friends.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, would love to see more! How about some more info here on BGG or the VPG page: Card images, game play shots, p/reviews, something!?

Thanks, and best wishes on the project! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nelson
United States
Idaho Falls
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdsmith wrote:
Hey, would love to see more! How about some more info here on BGG or the VPG page: Card images, game play shots, p/reviews, something!?

Thanks, and best wishes on the project! meeple

There is a playthrough video that explains it all. Not much like mtg, they stayed away from mtg for 80% of the gameplay. The "mana" idea is quite different and would not work as a ccg, so it has that bonus that it will not be a game where everyone needs their own deck. You move cards between players a lot.
So, it doesn't replace mtg if you still play it. But mtg doesn't fire totg because they work like completely different beasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The PEEK & PLAY video for Twilight of the Gods:

https://youtu.be/-lLwX5medWE
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Vestal
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be playtesting this in the D.C. area. I've started reviewing the rules while I wait for the cards, and I'm definitely looking forward to the game.

As Chris mentioned in his own notes, he likes Magic, but hates getting mana screwed. I believe Richard Garfield, himself, has stated that if he could go back and re-do Magic, he would use a different resource system. As a Magic player, I can tell you that mana flood also feels particularly awful.

We'll see how the gameplay is, but the rules are similar to Magic, and aside from the wholly different mechanics (e.g. card trading and resources), the rules did a good job of highlighting some of the more subtle differences (e.g. ability timing and stack resolution).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I'll be playtesting this in the D.C. area. I've started reviewing the rules while I wait for the cards, and I'm definitely looking forward to the game.

I took it to the post office myself yesterday. MAN, that place is busy this time of year!

Quote:
As Chris mentioned in his own notes, he likes Magic, but hates getting mana screwed. I believe Richard Garfield, himself, has stated that if he could go back and re-do Magic, he would use a different resource system. As a Magic player, I can tell you that mana flood also feels particularly awful.

I was quite involved with M:TG at its public inception and have a lot of stories to tell about that. When everyone first clapped eyes on the game was at Origins 94 in Texas (I'll never forget, our hotel was hosting Beauty Pagent contestants and the elevators were filled ladies who didn't dress like they were attending a game convention!).

I demoed the game at their booth and instantly saw that being (what we call today) "mana screwed" was a big deal. Still, I orders two cases "on the come" because I wanted a complete collection, and the TotC people at the booth plotzed and told everyone about "this one guy" who bought CASES of the game (pre-order, mind you -- it was not available for sale yet; they were just playing with some rush cards from Europe).

I try to offer suggestions with my critiques and told them that the simplest expedient was to have players create TWO decks, one Mana, one Other -- and they would choose which to draw from each turn. To me, that was "problem solved." Keep in mind, this is right after my first encounter with the game's preview prototype. It seems a little crazy to me that they haven't solved this problem yet, but who am I to complain? I don't play Magic anymore...

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.