Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Shadowrift» Forums » General

Subject: I think fist flurry needs a buff rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Travis Wu
msg tools
I like how you can have essentially what is a strike on hand every turn but I also feel that sometimes it's a waste of a card draw, especially for a card that costs 4 prowess. Many other attacks cost 4 prowess but their immediate impact is greater. I think the card should say if an epic attack is played after, put fist flurry back in hand. That way it can be like a situational 2-3 melee damage card if you can chain a couple epic attacks and still retains the flavor of punching a monster to death with multiple weak strikes
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
yummypanda90 wrote:
I like how you can have essentially what is a strike on hand every turn but I also feel that sometimes it's a waste of a card draw, especially for a card that costs 4 prowess. Many other attacks cost 4 prowess but their immediate impact is greater. I think the card should say if an epic attack is played after, put fist flurry back in hand. That way it can be like a situational 2-3 melee damage card if you can chain a couple epic attacks and still retains the flavor of punching a monster to death with multiple weak strikes


I think to match its proper intention most easily the buff may be simply to remove the [Epic] from its text: If you play an Attack after Fist Flurry, put Fist Flurry on top of your deck.

In this case it's back next turn as long as it's paired with any attack. You've almost always got 1 attack. This can get you into trouble, Wound-wise, but that's what you sign up for when you take on a Stormreaver with your bare hands.

I originally wanted it to exclude Strikes as ways it could be returned, but with no inherent way to do more damage with the single card or to avoid the Wound, I think it may have enough built-in flaws that it's fine if it shows up all the dang time.
The other big benefit of this change - what I've found really lacking with the card as-is - is that it makes the card a legit option as your first purchase.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor L
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
karishi wrote:
yummypanda90 wrote:
I like how you can have essentially what is a strike on hand every turn but I also feel that sometimes it's a waste of a card draw, especially for a card that costs 4 prowess. Many other attacks cost 4 prowess but their immediate impact is greater. I think the card should say if an epic attack is played after, put fist flurry back in hand. That way it can be like a situational 2-3 melee damage card if you can chain a couple epic attacks and still retains the flavor of punching a monster to death with multiple weak strikes


I think to match its proper intention most easily the buff may be simply to remove the [Epic] from its text: If you play an Attack after Fist Flurry, put Fist Flurry on top of your deck.


I think this is a good idea. One nice thing about removing the [Epic] requirement is that you can build a deck that is heavy with Fist Flurries. That would be highly thematic, I think, and give a nice flavor to that hero, quite different from any other.

One other suggestion is to make it optional to put it back on your deck (sometimes--I find often--you don't need an attack next turn).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
intheory wrote:
karishi wrote:
yummypanda90 wrote:
I like how you can have essentially what is a strike on hand every turn but I also feel that sometimes it's a waste of a card draw, especially for a card that costs 4 prowess. Many other attacks cost 4 prowess but their immediate impact is greater. I think the card should say if an epic attack is played after, put fist flurry back in hand. That way it can be like a situational 2-3 melee damage card if you can chain a couple epic attacks and still retains the flavor of punching a monster to death with multiple weak strikes


I think to match its proper intention most easily the buff may be simply to remove the [Epic] from its text: If you play an Attack after Fist Flurry, put Fist Flurry on top of your deck.


I think this is a good idea. One nice thing about removing the [Epic] requirement is that you can build a deck that is heavy with Fist Flurries. That would be highly thematic, I think, and give a nice flavor to that hero, quite different from any other.

One other suggestion is to make it optional to put it back on your deck (sometimes--I find often--you don't need an attack next turn).


I don't think "make it optional" is a big deal. Because you're allowed to play your Attacks in any order and it only gets recycled if you play the [Epic] card after it, it's only non-optional on turns when playing it is the direct cause of the card-draw that leads to the [Epic].
That event seems vanishingly rare.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor L
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
karishi wrote:
I don't think "make it optional" is a big deal. Because you're allowed to play your Attacks in any order and it only gets recycled if you play the [Epic] card after it, it's only non-optional on turns when playing it is the direct cause of the card-draw that leads to the [Epic].
That event seems vanishingly rare.

It is fine, of course, if you don't want it to be optional, but I think it wouldn't be that rare that it would make a difference. You might draw the card because of the Wound you take from the Battle, if you have Holy Aura or Armor of Mist, or perhaps because you enhance the Attack with Lightning Daggers or Frenzy. I would guess those are some of the most common reasons I draw cards, other than drawing cards at the beginning of each round, and the extra draws from Might and Heroism. Other than Might, which makes you draw another card, and Skills and Loot, which stay in play, and so don't clog up your deck, I usually buy only four or five cards per hero, if that many, and for a hero that buys Fist Flurry, almost all those cards would be attacks. It would be even more common if non-[Epic] Attacks also cause Fist Flurry to go back on the deck.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Anderson
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
intheory wrote:
karishi wrote:
I don't think "make it optional" is a big deal. Because you're allowed to play your Attacks in any order and it only gets recycled if you play the [Epic] card after it, it's only non-optional on turns when playing it is the direct cause of the card-draw that leads to the [Epic].
That event seems vanishingly rare.

It is fine, of course, if you don't want it to be optional, but I think it wouldn't be that rare that it would make a difference. You might draw the card because of the Wound you take from the Battle, if you have Holy Aura or Armor of Mist, or perhaps because you enhance the Attack with Lightning Daggers or Frenzy. I would guess those are some of the most common reasons I draw cards, other than drawing cards at the beginning of each round, and the extra draws from Might and Heroism. Other than Might, which makes you draw another card, and Skills and Loot, which stay in play, and so don't clog up your deck, I usually buy only four or five cards per hero, if that many, and for a hero that buys Fist Flurry, almost all those cards would be attacks. It would be even more common if non-[Epic] Attacks also cause Fist Flurry to go back on the deck.


I had another thought: Under this rule you can instantly kill anything if you have 2 Fist Flurries and an Armor of Mist, as long as you're willing to take (its health)-1 in Wounds.
I think I'm gonna allow it. devil
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Harrison
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
karishi wrote:
intheory wrote:
karishi wrote:
I don't think "make it optional" is a big deal. Because you're allowed to play your Attacks in any order and it only gets recycled if you play the [Epic] card after it, it's only non-optional on turns when playing it is the direct cause of the card-draw that leads to the [Epic].
That event seems vanishingly rare.

It is fine, of course, if you don't want it to be optional, but I think it wouldn't be that rare that it would make a difference. You might draw the card because of the Wound you take from the Battle, if you have Holy Aura or Armor of Mist, or perhaps because you enhance the Attack with Lightning Daggers or Frenzy. I would guess those are some of the most common reasons I draw cards, other than drawing cards at the beginning of each round, and the extra draws from Might and Heroism. Other than Might, which makes you draw another card, and Skills and Loot, which stay in play, and so don't clog up your deck, I usually buy only four or five cards per hero, if that many, and for a hero that buys Fist Flurry, almost all those cards would be attacks. It would be even more common if non-[Epic] Attacks also cause Fist Flurry to go back on the deck.


I had another thought: Under this rule you can instantly kill anything if you have 2 Fist Flurries and an Armor of Mist, as long as you're willing to take (its health)-1 in Wounds.
I think I'm gonna allow it. devil


To be fair, you can do all sorts of overpowered stuff with Armor of Mist. One game I was playing solo vs. zombie archfiends I got 6 armor of mists + some shining blades, which let me reuse the shining blades for every attack I used (they go in the discard, then drawing cards from wound lets me draw them back for next attack).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.