Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
11 Posts

Space Hulk: Death Angel – The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: How does this play with 4~6 players? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tal Lavi
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Hello guys, I am quite interested with this game, and I was wondering how does it play with 4~6 players?

Me and my friends are new to board gaming, and this game looks super cool.
I was already looking for a co-op game when I came across this, but the BGG rating shows that its best played with 1.
While I see that 4~6 are rated quite low, can anyone give me the reasons behind it? does this just not work well with to many players?

Thanks in advance.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMOS BURKE
United Kingdom
WALSALL
WEST MIDLANDS
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Works good with any number of player.
The more players you have the more talking you get in the planning of the turn.
Like you move there i'll help you with that you can kill them.
So i takes a bit longer to sort it all out, we have had quick turns then some really need planning.
Played with 4 players and was oAmos
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Mann
United States
Corpus Christi
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It works fine, but some would say that it's harder to win. My win rate solo is probably in the 45 to 50% range, and my group is 1 and 1 with three players, while we have yet to win at 4 (2 tries). With my total gaming group down to 7 regulars, I doubt we'll play with more than 5.

Your mileage may vary.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rus
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it plays great with any player count. I actually prefer it with 4-6 for new players because then each player only gets one squad, which means less cards to learn and keep track of.

However, if you are new to boardgaming, this may not be the best game to start with, unless your group is big into the 40K universe, and/or have experience with other activities that involve a lot of thinking and rules. I will usually choose this game over any other coop game with experienced board gamers, but with people new to the hobby I will usually choose something like forbidden island or pandemic. If you have a regular group, pandemic legacy is fantastic (currently the #1 ranked game on bgg, which I think it deserves). Star Trek panic is also not bad if you are looking for a sci-fi coop beginner friendly game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tal Lavi
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Doug1020 wrote:
It works fine, but some would say that it's harder to win. My win rate solo is probably in the 45 to 50% range, and my group is 1 and 1 with three players, while we have yet to win at 4 (2 tries). With my total gaming group down to 7 regulars, I doubt we'll play with more than 5.

Your mileage may vary.


I don't mind this being harder to win, just a change of pace so we will work with each other for a change, instead of the usual backstabbing games we play.
I have the same issue with having more than 6 people, and this seems a bit to much. I guess we will either split or pull it out with less players, since there aren't that many 7+ players games.

420017 wrote:
Works good with any number of player.
The more players you have the more talking you get in the planning of the turn.
Like you move there i'll help you with that you can kill them.
So i takes a bit longer to sort it all out, we have had quick turns then some really need planning.
Played with 4 players and was oAmos


Did you play once? what would you say are the pros and cons?
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tal Lavi
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rbelikov wrote:
I think it plays great with any player count. I actually prefer it with 4-6 for new players because then each player only gets one squad, which means less cards to learn and keep track of.

However, if you are new to boardgaming, this may not be the best game to start with, unless your group is big into the 40K universe, and/or have experience with other activities that involve a lot of thinking and rules. I will usually choose this game over any other coop game with experienced board gamers, but with people new to the hobby I will usually choose something like forbidden island or pandemic. If you have a regular group, pandemic legacy is fantastic (currently the #1 ranked game on bgg, which I think it deserves). Star Trek panic is also not bad if you are looking for a sci-fi coop beginner friendly game.


We already had a run with a couple of board games and everyone seems to like them (Cutthroat Caverns, Smash Up, CaH) and I still have Cosmic Encounter and Rex:FDoE.

Thing is all these games are individuals vs individuals, and while I wanted Pandemic as a co-op game, it just seems so boring.
So while DA is a bit hard for first timers, it delivers that co-op niche and it looks interesting, its a risk I am willing to take for 15$.

Worst case I can play it solo like most players here, if not I'll sell it.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fenmar
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play solo (kind of 90% of my games), and never played with more than 3 players.

I can say this is a great solo game because, once you know the abilities of all the 6 teams, a game offers good variability in the setup (20 different combinatios of teams, randomized starting position), as well as in the game flow (event cards are almost impredictable, and while you may guess where the next spawn will be, you must always be open to many alternatives). Moreover, this is a game where each choice matters. There are always many ways to respond to a spawn, and the consequences of each of them are always significant (and/or catastrophic). Thus, I don't get tired of playing DA because, even when knowing the game well, things can still get bad quickly, and still you feel like you have to think deeply to beat the game.

How this translates to playing in 4-5? This game offers significant puzzles at each point, and you cannot survive for a long if you do continuously coordinate the teams. Thus, the games offers big chance for a lot of discussion.

Among novel players, everybody will initially ignore others' abilities. I guess this will make it very hard to consider all possibilities and find out the best strategy, and accordingly to survive in the long run. Still, it is my guess, the gaming experience should be fun, and people will be happy to be slain again. But different people might differently enjoy this.

Among more experienced players, the game becomes more interesting. After some games, you realize that planning only the action of one (your) team is not much significant. Any individual action can be right or wrong depending on other ones. Accordingly, in playing with more experienced players, I like when each one is proposing a general strategy for the squad, and then we get to agree by discussing together the alternatives presented.

This is how I see playing SH-DA in a group. In my view, this is more like a solo-puzzle for a group rather than as a cooperative game where each player's choice individually determines the outcome for the group. However, one cannot plan and compare different strategies for a round until she does not know the abilities of all the teams, thus I expect the playing experience as a group to change significantly as people learn more about each other's teams.

I am curious about reading what others think about this...
3 
 Thumb up
5.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tal Lavi
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
mfenici wrote:
I usually play solo (kind of 90% of my games), and never played with more than 3 players.

I can say this is a great solo game because, once you know the abilities of all the 6 teams, a game offers good variability in the setup (20 different combinatios of teams, randomized starting position), as well as in the game flow (event cards are almost impredictable, and while you may guess where the next spawn will be, you must always be open to many alternatives). Moreover, this is a game where each choice matters. There are always many ways to respond to a spawn, and the consequences of each of them are always significant (and/or catastrophic). Thus, I don't get tired of playing DA because, even when knowing the game well, things can still get bad quickly, and still you feel like you have to think deeply to beat the game.

How this translates to playing in 4-5? This game offers significant puzzles at each point, and you cannot survive for a long if you do continuously coordinate the teams. Thus, the games offers big chance for a lot of discussion.

Among novel players, everybody will initially ignore others' abilities. I guess this will make it very hard to consider all possibilities and find out the best strategy, and accordingly to survive in the long run. Still, it is my guess, the gaming experience should be fun, and people will be happy to be slain again. But different people might differently enjoy this.

Among more experienced players, the game becomes more interesting. After some games, you realize that planning only the action of one (your) team is not much significant. Any individual action can be right or wrong depending on other ones. Accordingly, in playing with more experienced players, I like when each one is proposing a general strategy for the squad, and then we get to agree by discussing together the alternatives presented.

This is how I see playing SH-DA in a group. In my view, this is more like a solo-puzzle for a group rather than as a cooperative game where each player's choice individually determines the outcome for the group. However, one cannot plan and compare different strategies for a round until she does not know the abilities of all the teams, thus I expect the playing experience as a group to change significantly as people learn more about each other's teams.

I am curious about reading what others think about this...


First of, thank you for taking the time and writing such a detailed and well thought out answer.

I already have a general idea of how we will play, prob do a quick round where each player states his abilities and offers a general idea of what to do, everyone agrees on a certain strategy, and we each make our moves (without telling anyone) and we see the outcome.

I am guessing its not going to go this way, mostly because everyone is new and excited and are gonna be bossing others around, but ill try to keep it as individual as possible, I don't want one guy telling half the group what to do, and them just moving.

I hope that after a couple of runs, people are going to have this game down enough so that we might actually win once or twice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
culix _
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
mfenici wrote:
this is a great solo game because, once you know the abilities of all the 6 teams, a game offers good variability .. this is a game where each choice matters. There are always many ways to respond to a spawn, and the consequences of each of them are always significant (and/or catastrophic).

After some games, you realize that planning only the action of one (your) team is not much significant. .. I like when each [player] is proposing a general strategy for the squad, and then we get to agree by discussing together the alternatives presented.


Hey, thank you for writing this; this is insightful and fantastic. Your post is worthy of an entire game review all by itself

I love the idea of first mastering your own squad in isolation and not being very aware outside of your own bubble, and then later growing your awareness and skill outward until you understand the other squads that work around you, their abilities, and then finally being able to coordinate and suggest an overall strategy for the entire team. That's elegant.

There are many great analogies there for learning your own skills, learning your team's skills, and learning how to direct and discuss the entire team toward success. The same kind of growth could be useful for other games, for hobby groups, at your job, and so on.


Thanks for writing this. It makes me want to sit down to play 100 games and dive into the strategy and learning. And then do the same for other life skills too
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James B
msg tools
I have to disagree with most people here. I think the perfect count is solo or two players. When you play at higher player counts, you will end up with a huge list of marines (12) and it becomes impossible to really be strategic in the same way as a 2 player game. The game becomes too unpredictable and chaotic imo as it progresses and the aliens pile on.

Just my two cents
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergei Chavo
msg tools
Avatar
mb
Hulya wrote:
I have to disagree with most people here. I think the perfect count is solo or two players. When you play at higher player counts, you will end up with a huge list of marines (12) and it becomes impossible to really be strategic in the same way as a 2 player game. The game becomes too unpredictable and chaotic imo as it progresses and the aliens pile on.

Just my two cents
In my opinion the 12 marines is ideal number for balanced game, because you have all powers available and you don't stack with some bad teams (will be very hard game) or some good teams (will be easy game). At other hand my personal preference is 3 players (12 marines) and not 6 players (12 marines) because of possible quick player elemination.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.