Popular Tags: [View All]
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
Don't be humble you're not that great -- Golda Meir
mbmbmb
I had to share this because I've asked the same question all the time when driving around during working hours and seeing all these people driving about.

Who are ALL these people!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
You mean the people who post on the Geek through all hours of the day, their musings often punctuated by short videos or photoshopped imagery? Those people?

Me too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
I was born and raised in Vegas and I now live in Austin. Both places have a healthy night time economy. I imagine here (and Vegas) there are a lot of people that, for them, the day to them is our evening.

Also, in Vegas there are a decent amount of people who are day sleepers. It's pretty common to see a "Day Sleeper" sign above a door bell, as anywhere else you would see a "No Solicitation" sign.

Hmmm... I'll never look at all of those "day people" the same again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
You mean the people who post on the Geek through all hours of the day, their musings often punctuated by short videos or photoshopped imagery? Those people?

Me too.

Hey, don't be hatin' if your job just sux.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I live in LA and it's amazing to see how many people are just out and about during the day.

There are so many "alternative" jobs out this way, that people have all different kids of schedules and thus the day, (or one or two days during the week) they have off work.

But I do drive in traffic and there are enough of us working for a living!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
ronster0 wrote:
I live in LA and it's amazing to see how many people are just out and about during the day.

There are so many "alternative" jobs out this way, that people have all different kids of schedules and thus the day, (or one or two days during the week) they have off work.

That's what gets me, as I drive to work at 8am...And traffic is bad, but granted it's rush hour and everyone is going to work. I accept that. But if I have an errand to run at 2pm...guess what, traffic is bad. What!? Why!? It's not rush hour, GO TO WORK PEOPLE. Drives me bonkers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronster Zero
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
That's what gets me, as I drive to work at 8am...And traffic is bad, but granted it's rush hour and everyone is going to work. I accept that. But if I have an errand to run at 2pm...guess what, traffic is bad. What!? Why!? It's not rush hour, GO TO WORK PEOPLE. Drives me bonkers.

I hear you. I need to get somewhere at by 3:00 pm and hit traffic. WTF. Then again, traffic in LA just plain sucks. Even the side streets are packed anymore.

There USED to be shortcuts, now it seems they are posted on some website and everybody knows about them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Most likely, in your neck of the woods anyway, they're politicians, frustrated musicians, college students, bored hosuewives looking for a nooner with a guy like you, people getting by on disability and a goodly portion of the 12-13 million illegal immigrants who are looking for a voting booth so they can get the national language changed to Spanish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
slowcorner wrote:

Me too.

Yea man, that kind of made me feel guilty. Then I got over it I'm pretty much on call 24x7. I get to come in at 4AM to install memory in a server tomorrow, so I don't feel too bad about spending some time with y'all here and there.

You kind of harshed my mellow man...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
@TaintedDragonInn
badge
www.TaintedDragonInn.com
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
frustrated musicians

Redundant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shellie Rose
United States
Vernon
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is no mystery why traffic increases around 2pm-3pm.

1. Most schools let out between 2:30pm and 3:30pm. This means that all the non-working parents that have been out running errands, taking classes, volunteering, etc. are heading towards schools and home. All the working parents that have "mother's hours" are getting off work. Add in all the teachers heading home.

2. Shift change is typically at 2pm or 3pm. So in addition to school traffic, you get a mini rush hour from all the people who work first shift going home, and all the people who work second shift heading to work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Kinney
United States
Bellefontaine
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Around here, the majority out during the day are retirees or housewives. Traffic isn't heavy, but it moves slower and more erratic.

The rest just work 2d/3rd shift, weekends, etc.

Just a side effect of more businesses being open later, weekends, etc. Which as plenty of us remember, was far from common years ago.

And of course there are also 100 million more of us living in the US than there where when I was a kid, that's gotta have something to do with it. So numbers like '4% unemployed' or '10% self employed' means a lot more warm bodies than it once did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
vandemonium wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
slowcorner wrote:

Me too.

Yea man, that kind of made me feel guilty. Then I got over it I'm pretty much on call 24x7. I get to come in at 4AM to install memory in a server tomorrow, so I don't feel too bad about spending some time with y'all here and there.

Whoa...sorry about that. It's all in fun; the Monkey Man kind of lobbed that one up for me. I enjoy his work, and that of many of the regulars here. Except Tripp, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:

Whoa...sorry about that. It's all in fun; the Monkey Man kind of lobbed that one up for me. I enjoy his work, and that of many of the regulars here. Except Tripp, of course.

Hey, no, no worries. That was an easy setup. All in fun. And I'll even give you one that includes Tripp for your amusement...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
High Level
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Gee, someone needs to make a game about all the comings and goings in a city with all the traffic congestion and patterns at different times of the day... watching all the little people from above... maybe call it City Simulation or something.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lambert
United States
American Fork
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After reading the article, I would say they are journalists, trying to drum up a story or column where none exists so they can get a paycheck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Plainwell
Michigan
flag msg tools
Mi cabasa esta muy verde
badge
Et in Vantasia ego
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
vandemonium wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
slowcorner wrote:

Me too.

no worries here either! I probably *shouldn't* post during work hours as much as I do But like I said, my hours all balance themselves out with working from home at odd hours and the like. Which gets us back to on-topic - so I mentioned I'm going in at 4AM tomorrow morning, ever wonder what all the traffic that time of night (early morning) is? I mean a few poor Tech souls who have monstrous maintenance windows, I get but I still see way more traffic than weary IT folk that time of night.

Cheers,
Van

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do business to business sales. My boss tells me I have to be in the office on Monday mornings and Friday mornings, Other than that he doesn't want to see me in the office. "That's why we made you get a laptop," he says. Cool.

Except when I'm out and about I'm wearing a suit and tie. Ok, sometimes the jacket is in the car, the tie loosened and the shirt sleeves rolled up. Today another rep and I made some joint calls. About 3:30 she asked if we were done. If so she was gonna take her pantyhose off. She did and I damn near T-boned a car and I wasn't even in mine yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Cox
United States
Clemson
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
1024x768 works just fine - Don't Wide the Site!
badge
Missing old BGG
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem really started when someone thought it was ok for machines to share the paths with legged animals (people and horses). It went downhill from there.

But to your point, remember, not everyone works in the conventional sense. Take the unemployment rate and add to that all the people who are no longer considered "unemployed" because they've exhausted their unemployment insurance payments. They're off the rosters and not working, but not included in the percentages. Then add to that all those youngsters (college kids and younger) who don't necessarily work (yeah, yeah, yeah, I know there are a few self-sufficient and honorable youngsters not living off ma and pa, but you get the idea). And then there are retirees (who aren't all old). And don't forget the stay-at-home parents out there. I guess a good 40% of the population (not including kids too young to drive) are actually "unemployed." That's a lot of cars and errands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Reeves
United States
Akron
Oh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
ronster0 wrote:

Hey, don't be hatin' if your city's road infastructure sucks.

That is one thing I noticed when I moved to Dallas from Austin. They have roads here. And they build new ones pretty fast, at least compared to Austin.

Are they still building the Ben White / I-35 interchange?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls