Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Some cards you play or activate give a Bold action. For example, the Binding spell makes you evade with a special effect.

I see these mentioned in the reference manual, but I don't see anywhere where it says that the bolded action actually takes the place of the action you did.

So, playing a Binding spell is a Play action. It causes an Evade action to happen as well, but you still took a Play action (as far as I can find). That would mean an attack of opportunity would happen, because you took a Play action.

That seems counter to whole point of the card, but I don't see anything in the reference manual or LtP document that disproves that. Have I missed something? I can see this clarification being important down the road, even if right now it's pretty easy to know the intent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Pg 3. Of the rules reference:
Action Designators
Some abilities have bold action designators (such as Fight, Evade, Investigate, or Move). Activating such an ability performs the designated action as described in the rules, but modified in the manner described by the ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
Action Designators

Some abilities have bold action designators (such as Fight, Evade, Investigate, or Move). Activating such an ability performs the designated action as described in the rules, but modified in the manner described by the ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, I read that. It's not clear that the Play action itself no longer counts as a play action. It "performs the designated action" doesn't mean you DIDN'T do a Play action.

If you had a card that gives you a resource the first time you take a Play action each turn, would you get a resource for playing Binding? You DID take a Play action to play the card. If you say Yes, then why wouldn't taking that Play action get you an attack of opportunity?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Scutt
United Kingdom
Matlock
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, sorry, I understand what you're getting at now.
There are a few other threads which I think have tried to tackle this same question:
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1671599/blinding-light-and-...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1671399/dynamite-blast-back...
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1670076/backstab-weird-card

All these threads seem to conclude that it wouldn't provoke an AOO. However, I do think you make an interesting point about whether, as seems to be implied the Play action becomes the designated action, the player would benefit from a card that triggered off Play actions in this case.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're still taking a Play action, but you're taking it to do the bolded action in the Ability. That's why it wouldn't trigger an AoO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Dockery
msg tools
mb
You trigger an attack of opportunity when you perform an action that isn't a Fight, Parley, Evade, or Resign action. Playing Blinding Light is both a Play and an Evade action, so it's safe. The "play" part lets you benefit from Agnes's Heirloom, and the "evade" part protects you from attacks of opportunity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.