Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a ton of fun playing epic mode. Epic mode connected all the players at the event in a way that made us feel like a fellowship well beyond our group of four. In total we had a group of 9. I look forward to playing again and this event seems like a way for me to get more of my friends into the game.

We won on the second attempt. Having many players at the location (1A and 1B) is a real grind and the players there must have ways to deal with locations. (Thrors Map came in handy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
United States
Saint Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
Btȝ patrem nrum, Benedictum
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah we had a great time too. 7p (2 on a/b, 2 on c/d, 3 on e/f). Won a real burner of a game (probably would have lost the following turn) on the first time. Four and a half hours (sheesh). Looking forward to trying to solo it (it looks like it's REAL tough), or with Epic solo (3 players soloing each stage). Any one try that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Well? Am I?
badge
Don't Blink.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Was a ton of fun. Props to our winning team up at the FFEC yesterday!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jensen
United States
League City
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would be tough to play 3 solo stages but not impossible.

Epic feels like the way to play this one. It felt very thematic. One team defending the walls another fighting the prc camp etc very fun.

The first loss allowed me exposure to a second stage so it was cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We had a pair of 12-player attempts at Games of Berkeley today, before I had to go. We got waxed badly both times. My table was the 1A one, and we got overwhelmed by enemies before we could do much with any of the locations. (I messed up in the first game and didn't take out the Hosts of Angmar, so we had one in stage 1, not that it made a big difference.)

The second game went better than the first. I think, given a couple more round and some deck tuning, we might have had a chance. Maybe. sauron
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex H
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I was also at the Games of Berkeley event today, and it was a ton of fun in epic mode! We did get rolled quite badly the 1st time - my group was at the middle ground stage (C, I think?) And we were overwhelmed by enemies that 1st game. The 2nd game our group stabilized and actually managed to put 10 progress on the quest, but I thunk the group dealing with the enemies got swarmed (at some point they had 11 enemies on the board, it was rough).

After that, I think the 3 remaining groups of 4 tried the quest solo. Our group eked by and won it (our Galadriel player had at that point spent 4 turns maintaining threat at 49, and our Erestor player had decked out that turn) with a few more good luck moments than bad luck turns. Would love to try it again in epic mode - seems like groups of 2 or 3 at each stage would be a bit easier, since you're less likely to get swarmed or location locked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esasafe wrote:
After that, I think the 3 remaining groups of 4 tried the quest solo. Our group eked by and won it (our Galadriel player had at that point spent 4 turns maintaining threat at 49, and our Erestor player had decked out that turn) with a few more good luck moments than bad luck turns. Would love to try it again in epic mode - seems like groups of 2 or 3 at each stage would be a bit easier, since you're less likely to get swarmed or location locked.

Hi! Yeah, you guys were the heroes of our second attempt. We got 4 progress tokens on Stage 1B, but that was the best we could do.

Indeed, one of the minor issues with 4-player games in these events is that they can be much harder. Treacheries were our main problem. They either wrecked our questing, spawned a ton of enemies, or often times both in the same round. Revealing four encounter cards a turn make treacheries very, very difficult to deal with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played yesterday with 9 as well, and it was a blast! I loved getting to talk to every one every stage and figure out who needed what bonuses the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.