Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Held
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
This shark, swallow you whole.
badge
I'll catch this bird for you, but it ain't gonna be easy. Bad fish.
mbmbmbmbmb
They seem similar-both look like they'll have nice miniatures, lightweight to moderate gameplay. Might comes down to a theme issue and personal preference-I'd opt for Dark Souls because it seems safer and the gameplay might be unique enough to stand out in a saturated CMON-ization dungeon crawler market. That too seems like it's still a work in process though.

Personally, I'd opt for Gloomhaven if such a thing is still a possibility for a consumer-it'll be at retail soon.

Personal favorites of the genre: Mage Knight, Kingdom Death: Monster, Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I'd go, and did go, for Dark Souls, based solely on the IP, which is much more appealing to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'll prolly skip both and try to save enough money for KD:M

P.S. enough = ∞

Deep madness does not look like it brings anything new to the table, and Dark Souls I'ill wait until I see the gameplay video.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Larkus
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have to confess I went with both...

I'm a huge Dark Souls fan and the board game seems to transport the gameplay quite well. But so far I'm curious how the exploration will work and how much grinding a group will do on those 4 boards they seemingly reduced the play area to. The miniatures look really cool of course, and were another simple selling point.

Deep Madness interested me, because I'm a Lovecraft fan and in general a fan of creature and psychological horror. DM stands to serve that up nicely with disgustingly detailed monsters in a claustrophobic science fiction setting.

I played Mansions of Madness a lot and really enjoyed that, while DM seems to move along those lines it foregoes the overlord player. Also, via the Kickstarter, you are set to get a ton of player characters and monsters for both games, which is always a plus.

Not sure how complex they are gonna get, but I'm sure DM and DS will be faster to set up and play than MoM. Which isn't a requirement, but convenient.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin
Australia
Terrey Hills
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I am a huge fan of c-op dungeon crawlers, and skipped both of these games.

If you are considering Deep Madness, then I would recommend also checking out Vampire Hunters, which is still open for late pledges. I absolutely love the theme of this game. I am close to backing it. I am just waiting for some more updates about the development progress.

As regards co-op dungeon crawlers, I would recommend checking out these titles. I ended up backing them all, and suspect that most, if not all, would be still open for late pledges:

Perdition's Mouth: Abyssal Rift
Gloomhaven
Darklight: Memento Mori
Massive Darkness
Sword & Sorcery

Then there is this one, which I am also watching with interest:

Dungeon Crusade

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Russo
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I originally backed both (and Massive Darkness), but then I saw that Gloomhaven was still open for pre-order with all stretch goals and to be delivered in January. So I decided to drop DM because I'm afraid they will take 2-3 years to deliver all the stretch goals and at least 1.5 year for the core game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Robert
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bookswinters wrote:
Also whats the best co op dungeon crawler

Gears of War
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I late backed Dark Souls and am an early bird for Deep Madness. Both games are completely different, get Dark Souls if you want a dungeon crawl with a Dark Souls twist. Get Deep Madness if you are looking for a highly randomized co-op puzzle to solve with a great underwater horror theme.

I feel that Dark Souls might require lots of expansions to keep it fresh since fighting the same enemies and bosses will probably get stale after a while (Especially since Dark Souls requires you fighting the same encounter multiple times per game). Deep Madness has so many unique stretch goal monsters, epic monsters, and extras that I feel it will have really high replayability with just the base pledge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deep Madness isn't a theme that appeals to me very much. I love lovecraftian horrors in the proper setting but this "Cthulu, but in the future against the military!" never gets me excited. When it's the old days of seemingly mad humans calling fourth these creatures through grusome rituals and monstorous unthinkable doctoring, I love it. Once they're just creatures coming through a portal, once that sci fi angle is added and otherworldly creatures just gets replaced with the word alien, you've lost me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Larkus
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
powermad wrote:
Deep Madness isn't a theme that appeals to me very much. I love lovecraftian horrors in the proper setting but this "Cthulu, but in the future against the military!" never gets me excited. When it's the old days of seemingly mad humans calling fourth these creatures through grusome rituals and monstorous unthinkable doctoring, I love it. Once they're just creatures coming through a portal, once that sci fi angle is added and otherworldly creatures just gets replaced with the word alien, you've lost me.

But although Deep Madness takes inspiration from Lovecraft, it has nothing to do with Cthulhu. Or a lot of military. In DM the "sphere" which is experimented on inside the deep sea mining facility, creates the monsters from the minds of the staff on site. They are no mythos creatures emerging from techy portals, but embodiments of strong emotions and the human psyche. Which in itself is a really cool and interesting twist on what's after you and why, and it also opens up all those awesome monster designs. They feel and appear very "alien", but not because they are from space, they are very earthly beings for that matter.
Even the Dagon expansion is only based around the idea, that there were a lot of staff around who had read the books and were really, really big fans. So the sphere took their belief and transformed them until the story became reality.

Oh and the unthinkable experiments might still be around in the Oracle's betrayal expansion. Where a mad scientists wants to harness the endless power of the mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Johnson
United States
St Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can call it what you want but if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck and had a sanity meter like a duck...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Steamforged Games has a record of game publishing a popular game (on Dakka). Diemensional Games has no record of game publishing, and this is the game designer's first published game. KS is not a store.

Or... wait for both games to hit retail and wait for the reviews!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Larkus
Germany
NRW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Steamforged Games has a record of game publishing a popular game (on Dakka). Diemensional Games has no record of game publishing, and this is the game designer's first published game. KS is not a store.

Or... wait for both games to hit retail and wait for the reviews!

Sure, but if you have no interest for a system, style, type or maybe just looks or miniatures there's no need to even consider backing a game on KS. Of course only time will tell, but there's still room and a lot of time to speculate, and to get fired up for a game some have invested 100+ £/$.

KS is no store, but many people pitched in their money to help these games make it into stores. Risk is projects fail, especially for DM with a "yet to be game publisher". We'll have to wait and see it through. I didn't even back that much for DM, staying safe, but I wish them all the best and am very excited for the games release, should it happen. Until then it's hanging around on BGG and mindlessly speculating. ^^

Also if you backed, reviews reach you too late anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Jaeger
Germany
Burtenbach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a short remark: I played the game last week (Deep Madness, I mean) and enjoyed it. It may not be so original that we have to name a new game genre after it, but the way turn order is handled is very interesting and strategic. I quite enjoyed the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.