Subject: Germans in Paris rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Flaherty
Italy
Nanto
Vicenza
flag msg tools
Loves eurogames, but social deduction games are cool too!
badge
Venice Carnivale 2015 (best costume seen)
mbmbmbmbmb
Background: This was the fourth game for most of the five players, no prior experience with the other games in the system.

Turns 1-3: The Central Powers made a concerted push against both Italy and France at the outset and activated the Ottomans. Britain quickly mobilized to the key, three-navy threshold required for multiple Entente and one CP Status Card, and played the key U.S. Lusitania Sunk double-build card. In the east, Russia drove straight toward Berlin vice the usual Balkan thrust.

Turns 4-7: The CP onslaught West continued, with the Brits making an amphibious landing into the Alps to buy time for Rome to mobilize, and then garrisoning Paris after the German Schlieffen Plan laid waste to its defenders. France lacked a Build Army card, so activated Romania. The U.S. also played the key take-3-cards-from-discard-pile to redo Lusitania and build the naval bridge to Europe. Russia distracted Germany as it turned east to blunt the drive on Berlin and built the Black Sea Fleet to threaten Turkey.

Turns 8-11: After a valiant defense of Paris, a key German Air Force Recon allowed them to destroy the French prepared Double Defend card, and Germans found their Place in the Sun, allowing the key, build-after-attack to seize Paris from the Brits. The Brits tried a naval landing, but were blocked, and had run out of Land Attack cards (with no American ones either), so were forced to delay for several turns. Britain had nothing better to do than put down the Easter Rising, use Econ Warfare, and build into the Adriatic. France/Italy tried Italian offensives, but were blunted, and activated Burgundy as a VP zone and built status cards. Russia retook Serbia, as Germany shifted fully to Economic Warfare to add victory points.

Turns 12-15: Russia continued its aggressive offensives, clearing Istanbul, but running completely out of cards. Germany was also down to its last few cards in hand very early, as the UK/US finally got the key Event cards they needed, allowing them to take Picardy. France would have built in Paris, but alas, a series of five CP Victory Point cards pushed them just to the 12-point threshold to end the game 2 turns early.

Final Thoughts: This was a hard-fought game. The combined German/Austrian offensive West is very hard for France/Italy to block. With British help in the Alps and Paris, they managed to hold out to Turn 8. In retrospect, believe the Brits must always land the BEF in Picardy early (which I delayed by a turn or two to play the great U.S. early mobilize cards), as so many of their cards are tied there, and they have only 3 generic land attack cards which should be husbanded. Likewise, in extremis, France perhaps could have burned cards to used the generally avoided Draft Build Army, to have extra Defend/Build options to stop the German onslaught. Once Paris falls, it really cripples the Allied effort.

In the east, Russia was very active driving right for Berlin initially, but attacking into the rough Balkans terrain later costs extra cards they can ill afford to lose, hence 0 cards in hand by Turn 15.

Austria also has limited options in the Balkans given the many allied activations possible, but believe their initial drive toward Italy, though blunted this time, really pressures the Allies.

We finished in perhaps 2 hours 20 minutes (so a bit longer with 5 than 3 players), but all had a great time. It's certainly a game we'll come back to.

Scores: Spence (Germany) and Russ (Austria/Ottomans) won as Central Powers with 53 against Ted (US/UK), Brad (France/Italy), Joe (Russia) as Entente with 41 in this 15-turn game which ended early with high lead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Martial Solal - Bluesine || Balade du 10 Mars || Just Friends || In & Out
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ted11 wrote:
the Brits making an amphibious landing into the Alps...

... is a phrase I've never heard previously.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Flaherty
Italy
Nanto
Vicenza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, an amusing turn of events

The landings saved Rome (the Austrians immediately rebuilt in the Italian Alps, which means they had the card and would have built straight down into empty Rome had the Brits not landed). But a couple turns later Paris fell, so for naught in the end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
ted11 wrote:
the Brits making an amphibious landing into the Alps...

... is a phrase I've never heard previously.

...... and we thought global warming was a modern phenomenon......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Fiett
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ted11 wrote:
We finished in perhaps 2 hours 20 minutes (so a bit longer with 5 than 3 players), but all had a great time.

You can see that emotions were huge, as pretzels aroused little interest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bradley Kinser
United States
APO
APO AE
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It really does come down to the luck of the draw in a lot of cases. Each team had an operational strategy. I cannot see any mistakes that were made by either team. As the French/Italian - I played my priorities as I received them in my hand.

Rome quickly became a priority that became the focus that lost Paris (twice - sigh). If not for the valiant BEF it would have gone worse for us.

Great game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On an aside, how do you have this game? I kickstarted it and haven't received it yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Flaherty
Italy
Nanto
Vicenza
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I picked it up at Essen, great game.

That was actually our second for the day (so full on pretzels by then), earlier Entente victory, Italians at the gates of Vienna and Russians in Istanbul.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Daffin
United Kingdom
Ledbury
Herefordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
On an aside, how do you have this game? I kickstarted it and haven't received it yet.

I'm not sure what PSC's criteria is for sending out the KS games. I got mine a couple of weeks ago now, and it's on my table having a solo play through.

It plays very smoothly so far (I'm 6 turns into the game) - the usual tricky decisions about which cards to discard, which cards to prepare, and which cards to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Langley Kitchings
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mark: If it is of any consolation, I Kickstarted it too, and it has not arrived at my house either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Dubcek
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for an epic report, sounds like it was an awesome game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.