7 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Watcher in the Water - the Victory Conditions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dragomir Anachkov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
Hi, guys! I'm playing through the Watcher in the Water adventure right now and I am about to get the third VP by playing a third copy of Flame of Anor. Am I actually allowed to win by doing that? I mean, I get the 3 VPs but I haven't dealt with the Watcher, nor have I "explored" the Doors of Durin. What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrickx
Belgium
Reet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my opinion this quest was intended so you have to defeat the watcher of open the doors, but of course, later cards made it technically possible to find other options.

It's a bit like "a Journey to Rhosgobel", where you can use northern tracker to clear out the location Rhosgobel and start healing the eagle in your first stage without the drawback of having to discard the card used... not intended imo, but a legal move for those who know the scenario
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragomir Anachkov
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
Yes, I agree. Thematically, the situation is a bit odd. Although... some imagination might be helpful here. Let's say that Gandalf drove away the Watcher by casting this spell. Actually, it's quite pleasing to find an alternative way of completing a scenario. If that's the case, of course.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Dortch
United States
Sparta
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foentje wrote:
In my opinion this quest was intended so you have to defeat the watcher of open the doors, but of course, later cards made it technically possible to find other options.

It's a bit like "a Journey to Rhosgobel", where you can use northern tracker to clear out the location Rhosgobel and start healing the eagle in your first stage without the drawback of having to discard the card used... not intended imo, but a legal move for those who know the scenario

I agree with you. Although I have to say, I find it more strategic just to quest like crazy in stage one. by turn 3 or so you're in Rhosgobel and no need to wait on playing a tracker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Koen Hendrickx
Belgium
Reet
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4wallz wrote:
foentje wrote:

I agree with you. Although I have to say, I find it more strategic just to quest like crazy in stage one. by turn 3 or so you're in Rhosgobel and no need to wait on playing a tracker.

Agree, but to be able to travel to Rhosgobel, you need to be in stage 2
And from stage 2 you need to discard cards used in healing... and not so in stage 1.

I'm not stating this is the best tactic to keep Wyliador alive, just giving another example of (imo) unintended possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stoyan Taskonidis
Bulgaria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pretty easy quest, If you play Lore..... Just draw a lot of cards and scry the encounter deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Dortch
United States
Sparta
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
foentje wrote:
4wallz wrote:
foentje wrote:

Agree, but to be able to travel to Rhosgobel, you need to be in stage 2
And from stage 2 you need to discard cards used in healing... and not so in stage 1.

I'm not stating this is the best tactic to keep Wyliador alive, just giving another example of (imo) unintended possibilities.

Makes sense. And wow good call. I'm a little slow I guess. Never thought about how you get almost free healing in the first stage! lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.