GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,924 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
18 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
9 Posts

Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The first Delve rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I decided to try out the new Delve module for Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) – Road to Legend. I thought I'd keep it simple and run with two heroes: Dezra the Vile (Necromancer) and Reyhart The Worthy (Champion). In briefly reviewing the rules I note the adjustment for playing with only two heroes, which gives me a free attack (or small heal) each round. Awesome!

Stage I
A quick intro followed by a note that each hero has 1 xp that they can spend before we begin. I take Corpse Blast for Dezra and Glory of Battle for Reyhart.
The map sets up symetrically like "T" with an Ettin and a Meriod to the right. Behind the heroes (at the base of the "T") a group of Goblin archers. There is a portal to either end of the T and a couple of search spots (both behind the monsters). I have to choose and enter one or the other. Dezra goes first, summoning her reanimate and then moving to try and hold off the Ettin for a minute. The Ettin shows her what he thinks of that and runs up and hits her for 3 wounds. Reyhart moves into position, blowing his battle horn and giving Dezra a valor token (this is awesome since I can do it every single round as long as the two are general close to each other). Reyhart slices into the Ettin and uses his bonus attack (2-player rules) to put the beast down. The Merriod has his buddy's back and retaliates for a couple damage and immobilize on Reyhart. The wounded Goblin master takes out the reanimate, then gets into position for next round. The minons take turn shooting (and finally downing) Dezra and then retreating.

Reyhart is ever the gentleman (plus Dezra scares him) and revives his companion, then being immobilized, he rests. The goblin minions close in on Dezra (after their retreat last round) and ready to shoot her up. The master Goblin hits her for 1 wound and retreats. Dezra needs to rest, and since the Goblins have activated already, she moves in adjacent to them to heal up next round. The Merriod rounds the corner and whomps on Reyhart, immobilizing him again.

Dezra heals up, re-raises her animate, and kills a minion - healing again because of the Reaper Staff's power. The animate kills the remaining minion Goblin. The Merriod attacks, but Reyhart deflects most of it. Reyhart retaliates with his extra attack and vanquishes the beast. The master Goblin has a great attack, but only gets away with a single wound on Dezra.

Reyhart runs for the portal and searches a spot, but all he finds is a curse. Dezra takes an arrow from the remaining monster, the master Goblin Archer, but her return volley misses. She sprints to catch up to Reyhart and they portal away through the green portal. Moving through the portal, the group snags a Sunburst rune for Dezra. The location shifts...

Stage II
"Some time ago, I enslaved an irksome spirit and abandonded its prison in this place." Within a wide room filled with brightly lit torches, you spot a golden lamp sitting upon a pedestal. "Speak with it and do what you wish after; I no longer recall the spirit's transgression."
The heroes start in the middle of a large room, flanked by an Arachyura and some Dark Priests. Looks like I have to interact with the bottle to get the portal to open...

Dezra starts by raising her Reanimate. She follows that with two quick blasts against the Dark Priest master. Only the first blast hits, so she sends the Reanimate in to finish him off (he does). The Dark Priest minion then activates and looks to extract revenge, but misses his attack on Reyhart. Reyhart runs to the pedestal and speaks to a Djinn (and thus I acquire the Djinn Lamp item). Of course, this unlocks the portal and of course brings in a load of Flesh Moulders. Reyhart uses his free attack on the Arachyura for a single wound. The Arachyura activates and curses Reyhart (literally). Then he is attacked with a Pincer attack that only causes a single wound, but immobilizes him. The minion Flesh Moulder activates and whomps on Dezra for 4 wounds and then the master Flesh Moulder heals the Arachyula. Gah.

Reyhart (through a small miracle) sheds his curse and takes out the Arachyula, but is stuck in place until his turn is over. The Flesh Moulder minion makes short work of Dezra (two deaths, I'm not sure this adventure is going to last much longer). The master Flesh Moulder targets the reanimate, but can't quite put him back in the ground. The Dark Priest makes an attack on Reyhart for one wound then backs off.

Back off buddy!

Dezra moves to the portal, then takes out the minion Flesh Moulder that took her out last round. The reanimate also gets some payback. Master Flesh Moulder heals then retreats. Reyharts makes a mad dash for the portal. The Dark Priest takes out the reanimate, but the heroes escape.

Leather armor was one of the items inbetween stages, so I grabbed that for Dezra. Both heroes heal a bit. Each hero has 2 xp, so I spend that on extra abilities.

Stage III
You arrive, standing in a small, unused camp site. "Odd. This seems to have formed directly from significant memories that you--" She's interrupted by a pack of goblins shouting and jeering from a shelf of rock above you, drawing their bows and aiming at you. A particularly large Goblin picks up a bow of his own before frowning, setting it aside, and hefting a large rock instead. "Get 'em boys!" he shouts.

The setup is straight from the scene in the movie The Rock where the navy seals are about to be gunned down by the bad guys.

The kill box

Dezra desparately wants to rest, but sitting in the kill zone is not the best place for it. I run her towards the Goblins, she misses her free attack, then rests. The Ettin engages her and attacks for 6 wounds! A good defense roll and a valor token keep the damage to a single wound (whew). Reyhart chases after the Ettin and hacks away to nicely wound the beast, but he is still a little exposed to the Goblins. [At this point, Splig's turn comes up - I'm not sure if I'm supposed to use the lietenant card or the Agent card. A check of his special logic says Knockback and Not Me! (the ones from the lientenant card), so I go with that]. Splig gets to toss a boulder, with +3 range and ignoring the black borders. He targets Dezra.

Before

He hits her for only a couple wounds, but has knockback 5 which puts her almost back in the campsite. Much like in The Rock, the archers easliy take out Dezra.

After. Please don't taze me bro!

"Disappointing, but not surprising," the Caretaker says as you fall and do not rise. Black shadows writhe out of the darkness, reaching claws and tendrils towards you.

"I hope the rest of your kind shows greater promise."

The voice fades as the blackness swarms over you, enveloping you in a brutal chill. You hear nothing; you see nothing. There is naught left but the unyielding cold and the fading hope of a quick end.

Final Thoughts
* My first Delve. It was fun, generally quick to setup and each little stage was interesting. I hope FFG continue to add content.
* With recording all the story as I played, each stage was maybe 30+ minutes. If I just played quickly, I could see a stage not being more than about 20 min, plus a few minutes to tear down and setup the next stage. A great way to do a random crawler.
* Dezra got her butt handed to her. She heals when in close contact, but that never came up for me. Her getting armor helped, but getting that last scenario had all the goblins, not the number for two heroes, so once she got targeted, it was all over.
* I've played Reyhart before, but Champion was new to me. Not sure how great it is (especially for only two heroes) since Champion is best when he's "inspiring" the other heroes.
* I really hate playing with the unpainted monsters. I should do something about that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve R Bullock
United States
Palm Coast
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Having just entered the world of Descent, it's great to know that FFG is still releasing new material for this game- especially for the app, which is the main reason I jumped into it!

Thanks for the excellent walk through!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the session report. I still haven't had a chance to try Delve yet (darn work) but your post has me excited. It's brutal when your hero dies in the first turn. Pardon me if you already know this, but did you use the 2 heart heal option as a special two hero rule special action?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
Thanks for the session report. I still haven't had a chance to try Delve yet (darn work) but your post has me excited. It's brutal when your hero dies in the first turn. Pardon me if you already know this, but did you use the 2 heart heal option as a special two hero rule special action?

Once or twice I used the heal, but often, Dezra just got targeted and it was over. She only has 8 wounds, so a couple good (bad for me) rolls and she's toast. IIRC, the AI said something like target the fastest hero, there wasn't a great way hide her from the archers that first round.

One thing to note with the app - Delve or campaign mode - going slowly is bad. If you are too cautious, bad things start happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice session report.

Imo RtL is all about damage, so good hero-choices seem to be heroes with high HP and good Stamina and classes that fare well seem to be those that are good in dealing a lot of damage. Which is a pitty since it seems to em that the hero balance from the core game just doesn't hold up in RtL.

Also I picked up quite a few search tokens in the Delve that didn't tell me to draw a search card and are basically a waste of action, with the possibility of further bad consequences, so searching really does become risky in the Delve and the Treasure Hunter class suffers imo as a consequence.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Hasegawa
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DA_Maz wrote:
Nice session report.

Imo RtL is all about damage, so good hero-choices seem to be heroes with high HP and good Stamina and classes that fare well seem to be those that are good in dealing a lot of damage. Which is a pitty since it seems to em that the hero balance from the core game just doesn't hold up in RtL.

Also I picked up quite a few search tokens in the Delve that didn't tell me to draw a search card and are basically a waste of action, with the possibility of further bad consequences, so searching really does become risky in the Delve and the Treasure Hunter class suffers imo as a consequence.

I only searched once in the Delve and it was bad. Not much of a data point .

My next try may be Widow/Hexer and another fighter or a scout/stalker.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johannes Benedikt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tatsu wrote:
DA_Maz wrote:
Nice session report.

I only searched once in the Delve and it was bad. Not much of a data point .

My next try may be Widow/Hexer and another fighter or a scout/stalker.

I imagine Hexer and Stalker very suboptimal for RtL, but for the Delve in particular.

I would advise picking something like Berserker, Beastmaster or Knight alongside Apothecary, Geomancer, Runemaster, Wildlander, Thief or maybe Necromancer.

The strongest team would probably be Reynhart or Syndrael as Beastmaster with Avric as Apothecary or Quellen as Geomancer.

RtL is imo all about dealing damage quickly and having enough HP to endure the monsters attacks. You need to do much damage on your first activation to kill monsters before they activate and both Hexer and Stalker need some time for setting up their tokens, so I wouldn't pair them together. (in the case of Delve the stalker's traps are additionally lost when you enter portals)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Gelb
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For us non-descent players, whats the "delve" module?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
asgelb wrote:
For us non-descent players, whats the "delve" module?

It's in "in app purchase" for Road to Legend that is a random dungeon crawl where the heroes get items and experience as they go through a single dungeon, as opposed to a campaign module which consists of many quests where items and experience are awarded after the completion of each quest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.