$20.00
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, all,

AH:TCG is my first-ever "LCG". i was a "highly invested" MtG player back in the 90's, but kicked that crack habit some 16 years ago and have not, since then, had a game which was built off of an ever-growing card set which required meticulous organization.

So i'm here to ask experienced LCG'ers about their strategies for keeping their sets stored in a way which minimized setup and teardown times.

Right out of the box, i sorted all the AH cards numerically[1]. It's a simple fact of life that sorted data can be searched more quickly (often orders of magnitude more quickly) than unsorted data, so sorting the cards is a no-brainer. However, i've sorted them solely by their numeric value. In hindsight, after having set up my first game, i'm not sure whether that's going to be optimal, long-term (after a few expansions land in the box). e.g. should i sort them by type and number? Or is there some other organizational method which is likely to be better (where "better" means "faster storage and retrieval")?

Any advice on the organizational aspects of storage (as opposed to the physical, which isn't a problem here), or in regards to optimizing setup and teardown times for AH (or LCGs in general), would be much appreciated.

For bonus points: when storing two copies of the core set, is it "best practice" to store them both together or store them mashed into one big set? Is there any reason not to mix them? (My 2nd core set should arrive in 2-3 days.)

[1] = after sleeving them, of course .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Keep each scenario together with dividers. Use a standard order, like token card then agenda then act then locations, etc... Keep the shared set of encounter cards near the group scenarios they belong to (at the end is a good place). If you have two cores you can keep the encounter sets for the core scenarios pre-built along with the scenarios. This will likely only apply to the core ones, as few people want to buy doubles of everything down the line.

Player cards can be kept in boxes or binders. I prefer binders for ease of browsing in deck design. It's faster for finding stuff but extra work to file new cards when a new expansion drops. I like to sort by:
Faction/card type/XP/cost/name

XP in this case can be simply zero/nonzero or separate entries for each number, I haven't decided yet which I prefer but I definitely want to not be distracted by nonzero XP cards when I'm designing a new deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I keep player cards in a binder, all other cards in a box

For AH:LCG I shall sort them by grouping each Scenario set of cards together (like "The Gathering" which includes token, location, and some other cards types), and then also each Encounter set. Each one of those groups will have a vertical divider so I can locate them easily

The best advice I can give is to break down the total card set into the elements which the game uses to construct a play session : so using the above method you can easily pull out "The Gathering", and then the Encounter sets which the Scenario calls upon to go with it

Below is how I did it for LOTR:LCG and will follow the same logic

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For deck building purposes one of the advantages of this game is that you only have to consider level zero cards when starting a new campaign so any storage solution will only have level zero cards easily browsable… After that the higher level cards will require to only be searchable by their speciality and cost as you spend experience to improve/add new cards.

with the Lord of the rings there would be which sat/how much their resource cost is and their number to consider that really level zero cards are all that matter initially.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Levesque
Canada
Verdun
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will store player cards in a binder, and eventually when I keep up with releases and there are too many cards, one binder per color, like I do for Netrunner.

For encounter cards I think this time I will try something like spyfall. A small baggie for each encounter type, with a paper with the symbol on each side of the cards, both to avoid spoilers and locate easily. I'll keep those in the game box for now, along with tokens baggies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Llessur Nosnikliw
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have found that my thought process on storing LCG cards has been influenced differently based on the game.

Assuming Arkham Horror will follow the same train of thought as I used for the Lord of the Rings LCG: I plan on storing the player cards grouped by class, according to campaign (counting the deluxe and the subsequent packs) Why? If it works like LotR, they designed the player cards together as a unit across the campaign and then divided them amongst the packs. This way, if I choose to revise a campaign or one-of a scenario I can quickly access what was available at that point in time (while also having the option to open the card pool up if desired)

Now, it is quite possible that the upgrading nature of the game will bring me to adjust that strategy - which I might have to do like I did with Ashes, where I stored alphabetically. Albeit with Arkham I'll want to break it down by faction.

With the two cores you won't have to do anything with the encounter sets, as can keep all three of the of the scenarios together at the same time, so you just need to find something to do with the excess encounter cards (I stored them in the bag and placed them in the next box)

Note: for Android:Netrunner I store the cards separated by runner/corp and then in printed order (card #) broken up by each pack (but that is because I wanted it to be easier to locate the card I am looking for (online database) and when a cycle rotates out I can easily ignore that section. I did the same with Star Wars LCG, except the cards are stored within their mini arrangement and then numerically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Player cards: Sort by color (five classes plus neutral) first and then by type and then by number (alphabetically would work as well, I guess). Also, Investigators with all their special cards (investigator card, special player card, special treachery card) and the deck with the Basic Weaknesses should be kept together.

Scenario cards: I would, as much as possible, keep scenarios together (with two core sets you can build all three scenarios at the same time; but with expansions, it might not be so easy without buying multiple copies of deluxe boxes). For the cases where you cannot keep scenarios together permanently, keep the various encounter sets together (after playing a scenario, break it down into the encounter sets), so you can quickly switch them around.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, I much prefer building my decks in a deckbuilder (like this one here: http://arkhamdb.com/) and only go looking for my cards, when I actually need them.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schwieger
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorting my player cards numerically. I will deckbuild using a deckbuilding tool and then fish the cards out of the binder. This also helps if I later wish to sell the collection, because it's easy to spot all the cards in order. And I don't have to do a lot of reorganizing when new cards come out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
All X-Men
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The dividers are just plastic dividers. There are so many icons in LOTR I had trouble keeping up with it. I use regular penny sleeves to put each encounter deck in a packet. Each penny sleeve will hold about 15 cards. Then each packet goes with a particular divider. I plan on doing the same thing with Arkham LCG. That's about it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow! Lots of useful advice here! i very much appreciate it all!

It sounds like it'll make sense for me to start by splitting the cards into categories, sorting numerically within those (except Weaknesses, since those are apparently always shuffled), and grouping Investigator-specific cards together with their respective characters. i've got no binders (and don't really want any), but no shortage of boxes which i like for storing cards, so... here we go...

Thank you all for your diverse tips and photos!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, sorting these games isn't always straight-forward

I think numeric sort is the least useful in an LCG though, unless you mean cost of cards. That might work for some cards in AH:LCG. Cards are numbered within their box, so there will be a mix of cards of very different types in a sequence. In addition the games tend to start from 1 again when you get to a new cycle of releases, or even use two groups of numbers, like Conquest did (expansion numbering and war band numbering).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, in sorting for Netrunner or even LOTR LCG split out into faction then type and then set number. That is the way my thinking works for deck building "I want to try out that new NBN event that was released a pack or two ago."

It might eventually get to be like that for AH:TCG but I somehow doubt it. I won't be changing my deck so frequently.

Until we have more cards, I'm sort of winging it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gnurf wrote:
I think numeric sort is the least useful in an LCG though, unless you mean cost of cards. That might work for some cards in AH:LCG. Cards are numbered within their box, so there will be a mix of cards of very different types in a sequence. In addition the games tend to start from 1 again when you get to a new cycle of releases, or even use two groups of numbers, like Conquest did (expansion numbering and war band numbering).

Aha. i rather assumed that the next set would begin with number 160 (or whatever the next number is - just picked a random number there). i chose numeric because the base set refers to the cards by number for deck building (which i find ideal, actually - i'd rather that than alphabetically, simply on philosophical grounds (specifically: sorting is inherently locale-specific, and i opine that all sets of a CCG/LCG should sort equivalently, regardless of language)).

So far the core set is manageable however i sort/unsort it, but a second core should arrive on Wednesday, and expansions at some point, so i'll certainly need to re-evaluate what i've done here.

Once again, thanks for the insights!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Llessur Nosnikliw
United States
Ogden
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sgbeal wrote:
gnurf wrote:

Aha. i rather assumed that the next set would begin with number 160 (or whatever the next number is - just picked a random number there). i chose numeric because the base set refers to the cards by number for deck building (which i find ideal, actually - i'd rather that than alphabetically, simply on philosophical grounds (specifically: sorting is inherently locale-specific, and i opine that all sets of a CCG/LCG should sort equivalently, regardless of language)).

All of the LCGs I own start at card number 1 of XXX for each cycle/deluxe expansion. However, they all have a specific identification symbol to help distinguish which set they came from.

So, for example I keep the cycle complete in binder pages and then start a new page with the next cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bran Flying
United States
California
flag msg tools
Hi!Where did you buy these dividers and how did you print the icons on them? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hedyn Brand
Norway
Oslo
Lethargy
flag msg tools
Nothing to see here. Move along.
badge
Rules? I gotta read RULES‽
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice dividers

(Hopefully they fit in the average box too, being from BCW!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.