Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Bonin
United States
Otsego
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The teleport card reads teleport to another room, so I assume not, but can you teleport out of the castle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel like that might be a nitpick of the rules. While it does say "room," I personally have played it like it is an advanced form of movement.

Though, I get the reasoning behind the question. I would reason that if the designer had really thought of teleporting as something different from movement, that this would not have been overlooked.

From my own personal theory on game rules, anything that creates an extra exception that needs to be learned should be avoided. Thus, since teleporting is quite similar to movement, the extra rule is not worth the effort for the times it would matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Chris. This game stands above others as striving to be particularly lax with the fiddliness of rules. So I think it is safe to assume that teleporting out of the castle is allowed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Spak

Cambridge
Massachusetts
msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're asking if you can teleport out of Crystal Caves, the answer is yes. The rule is that once you enter a Crystal Cave you can't use boots to move for the rest of the turn. That means you can teleport out of caves -- since that's not using boots -- but you still won't be able to use boots once outside.

I actually can't recall the teleporting-to-leave-the-dungeon thing coming up in playtesting, but it seems like a pretty big flavor fail if that doesn't work, so I'd rule that it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aperfectcleanup wrote:
The teleport card reads teleport to another room, so I assume not, but can you teleport out of the castle?

I am playing a solo learning game and both the Teleporter card and the rules on Teleport say teleport to an adjacent room, which the rules further say that the room needs to be to connected to the room you're in. So you can't teleport to any room in the castle, but it can get you above ground avoiding locks, monsters, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Keller
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mb
ol_bubba wrote:
So you can't teleport to any room in the castle, but it can get you above ground avoiding locks, monsters, etc.

I think this is incorrect. I think the "teleport outside of the castle" question/answer is purely in reference to the connection of the top-left room with the outside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Patuxent River
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Synnical77 wrote:
ol_bubba wrote:
So you can't teleport to any room in the castle, but it can get you above ground avoiding locks, monsters, etc.

I think this is incorrect. I think the "teleport outside of the castle" question/answer is purely in reference to the connection of the top-left room with the outside.

Thanks for clarifying the OP's question. I read it as teleporting from one room to another inside of the castle/dungeon and not as teleporting from the last room to exit the castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmb
After reading through this entire thread I'm still not clear on the answer... :-/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
After reading through this entire thread I'm still not clear on the answer... :-/

I'm not sure there is a definitive answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
-=::) Dante (::=-
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
veector wrote:
Skrell wrote:

I'm not sure there is a definitive answer.

The posts above contend:

You can teleport out of the crystal caves. (but cannot use any boots after unless you began your turn already in the caves)

You can teleport from the first room in the castle to outside since it is connected by a corridor and therefore adjacent.

To dispel any doubts because the teleportation description uses the word "room" rather than "space" I've asked the designer to chime in with an official ruling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dennen
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
If you enter Crystal Caves on your turn, you may teleport out of them.

You can't use any boots on your turn after you've entered a Crystal Cave, even if you teleport out of the cave.

Yes, you can teleport from the first room to the flag outside the castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Merakon wrote:
You can't use any boots on your turn after you've entered a Crystal Cave, even if you teleport out of the cave.

I think the game is better without this rule. Seems cleaner and better to just say that if you move into a cave, you can't move out via normal movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Merakon wrote:

I think the game is better without this rule. Seems cleaner and better to just say that if you move into a face, you can't move out Via normal movement.

I think it's a well justified ruling. Teleporting is already incredibly powerful. Allowing someone to continue using boots after moving into a cave and teleporting out on the same turn would take it from powerful to easily abused. You'd almost have to buy them even if you don't really need them that turn just to prevent others from abusing it on a subsequent turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I ran into this problem too last night. The other player was already out and counting down with dragon attacks. I made it to the last room, had only 1 health left and no boots in my hand. We ruled that I could buy the teleport and teleport out before the next dragon attack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you teleport INTO Crystal Caves and still move?

The idea about losing movement is that it's so hard to navigate through them, but if you just teleport into the heart of it, does that really count?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
KEW GARDENS
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Homey_Christ wrote:

The idea about losing movement is that it's so hard to navigate through them, but if you just teleport into the heart of it, does that really count?

Of course it counts. If you teleport into the heart of the cave all the extra movement is lost wandering around in the labyrinthian caverns trying to find your way back out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Carpenter
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Homey_Christ wrote:

ninja Psst... Don't tell anyone, but you can actually play however you want. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blake Curry
United States
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Homey_Christ wrote:

ninja Psst... Don't tell anyone, but you can actually play however you want. ninja

lol true, but generally speaking unless something just doesn't make sense, I try to follow the game's intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Homey_Christ wrote:
curtc wrote:
Homey_Christ wrote:

lol true, but generally speaking unless something just doesn't make sense, I try to follow the game's intent.

I'm trying to visualize situation where this comes up?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
curtc wrote:
Homey_Christ wrote:

Well you can play however everyone at the table agrees to play. Otherwise its called cheating. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
curtc wrote:

Well you can play however everyone at the table agrees to play. Otherwise its called cheating. whistle

This is exactly the reason for this question and others like it. You usually go into a game knowing what the rules are and have a level playing field for everyone rather than waiting until the situation comes up and have to resolve it when everyone has a biased opinion of how the rule should be played.

Don't get me wrong, great game. Just defending the reason to want to ask for a ruling on BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not to beat a dead dragon with 'me toos', but:
Me too.
- I would play that you can teleport from the last room in the castle, to outside the castle.
- I would and have played that you can't use more boots the same turn you get into a crystal cave (unless you have a card that says otherwise, such as Flying Carpet, I think). You can teleport out of the cave the same turn.

Generally speaking everyone should know how to play the game before it starts (with the exception of rationing out rules as they become applicable, if that doesn't mess up the rest of the game.)
But there will always be "what do we do now" moments, every interaction of rules and cards can't (and shouldn't be) hammered out before every play.
Edge cases or "huh, how do we do this" will come up and should be dealt with a) in accordance with the intent of the rules and b) to the best agreement of the players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.