San Diego
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Milarky wrote:
Lucky after you have failed gain +2..
Tentical token failed as if you have zero

I think that would be a great use for Lucky...especially if you only needed "2" to pass the skill test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Haskell
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Milarky wrote:
Lucky after you have failed gain +2..
Tentical token failed as if you have zero

Sure you can, but it has no impact. Auto-fail means you fail. The +2 modifies your skill before it the test resolves, which is then resolved as if the result is 0.

EDIT:

To clarify -- look at RR. p. 26 Skill Test Timing.

Step 6. Determine success/failure of test

... If an investigator automatically fails at a test via a card ability or revealing the (tentacle) symbol, his or her total skill value for that test is considered 0.

Note that this happens AFTER the +2 modifier from Lucky is applied (which happens in Step 5).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Whitford
msg tools
mbmbmb
As far as I'm aware, you cannot. The primary effect of an automatic failure is that you fail the skill test. The reason the rules specify that it's as if you have zero is for skill tests for which the amount you fail by matters, rather than to give you an opportunity to stop it failing or to add to that number. This is the same reason drawing an automatic failure on a skill test (0) is still a fail.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Using Lucky on a tentacles fail, I would consider as:

You apply a +2 modifier to your skill value (your, say, Intellect of 3 is treated as a 5) to an autofail, furthermore an autofail which always counts as 0 for check purposes.

So, after adding the +2, the result is still an autofail and it will still count as zero for check.

edit: maaaybe, you'd commit the upgraded version to a failed tentacle check purely as an attempt to draw into some essential card sat in your deck somewhere.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
You can't win them all...devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can use it, and it will raise you above zero, but you still fail. Could maybe be useful on one of the "penalty for each number you fail by" cards or a few other odd situations.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
dboeren wrote:
You can use it, and it will raise you above zero, but you still fail. Could maybe be useful on one of the "penalty for each number you fail by" cards or a few other odd situations.

I don't agree that it would raise anything above zero. It would give you a +2 to the relevant statistic of your investigator, but I suspect that that inflated skill value would still result in a value of zero for purposes of resolving card results.

RR, p5, Automatic Failure/Success
Quote:
If a skill test automatically fails, the investigator’s
total skill value for that test is considered 0.

Even though you are increasing your skill value by 2 after the test is failed, I'm of the opinion that this still wouldn't override (or adjust post-result) the specific consequence of an auto-fail result noted above in the RR.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.