15 Posts

Bullfrogs» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sliding LPs rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Artur Amorim
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yesterday we were playing the game for the first time and then a doubt came up.
The table was like that (LP = lily pad; 0 = no card):

LP1
LP2 (log) LP3
(0) LP4
LP5
LP6

LP3 was scored then removed.
So what to do with the LPs 4-6? Considering the rules saying:

"After sliding Lily Pad Cards, the grouping of cards can never be a straight line, if possible." [isn't always possible?]

The player should first put LPs in the space with no cards (0 and LP3 space) OR he can just put one of the cards in place 0 or LP3, so the grouping was done?

I really didn't understand what the rules say with that part about straight line. This means that if I have 2 (or more) lily pad cards I cant never place them in the same row or column??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If any cards are detached from the group attached to the log, you can slide each card that became detached individually to any spot attached to the log group.

Edit: Sorry, I thought you were asking something else. The straight line part means you can't have the whole group be a perfect single straight line after you are done sliding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Amorim
msg tools
mbmbmb
MrFettuccine wrote:
If any cards are detached from the group attached to the log, you can slide each card that became detached individually to any spot attached to the log group.

Edit: Sorry, I thought you were asking something else. The straight line part means you can't have the whole group be a perfect single straight line after you are done sliding.

I see that.. but i dot understand why it says "if possible". I have the feeling that something is missing.
Wish the designer could say what he means with this rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben
United States
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For the most part, it will be possible to not do a straight line but there may be an instance where the only lily pad left in play just got broken up and no matter where you put it, a straight line will happen. I think "if possible" is added just to cover all bases in case something like that happens.

The designer usually is pretty active so I'm sure he may respond in due time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heiliger wrote:
I don't understand why it says "if possible".
If you only have two lily pads you will always have a straight line. If you have a situation like
LP1
LP2 Log LP3 LP4

and score LP1 you will have a straight line, but since everything is still connected it is impossible to avoid this with sliding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Amorim
msg tools
mbmbmb
MrFettuccine wrote:
For the most part, it will be possible to not do a straight line but there may be an instance where the only lily pad left in play just got broken up and no matter where you put it, a straight line will happen. I think "if possible" is added just to cover all bases in case something like that happens.

The designer usually is pretty active so I'm sure he may respond in due time.

But in the case that I need to slide 2 or more LPs, means that I can't place them in the same row/column, if possible?
Thats my biggest doubt..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
heiliger wrote:
But in the case that I need to slide 2 or more LPs, means that I can't place them in the same row/column, if possible?
Thats my biggest doubt..

You're allowed to do this. The rule is simply stating that, once all sliding has occurred, the lily pads cannot form a single row/column (unless that is the only possible arrangement).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Amorim
msg tools
mbmbmb
FreedomGunfire wrote:
heiliger wrote:
Thats my biggest doubt..

You're allowed to do this. The rule is simply stating that, once all sliding has occurred, the lily pads cannot form a single row/column (unless that is the only possible arrangement).

If i'm not asking too much, please show me a way that is the only possible arrangement. I tried so hard, but I can't imagine how can 2+ LPs can only be in a straight line after all the arrangement..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Schwartz
United States
Jackson
Michigan
flag msg tools
www.therulesforge.com
badge
Get your slimy, webbed phalanges off ma boots!
mbmbmbmbmb
heiliger wrote:
FreedomGunfire wrote:
heiliger wrote:
Thats my biggest doubt..

If i'm not asking too much, please show me a way that is the only possible arrangement. I tried so hard, but I can't imagine how can 2+ LPs can only be in a straight line after all the arrangement..

With 2+ lily pads, this is a non-issue. The rule is covering the "one lily pad card remaining" instance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Amorim
msg tools
mbmbmb
FreedomGunfire wrote:
heiliger wrote:
FreedomGunfire wrote:
heiliger wrote:
Thats my biggest doubt..

With 2+ lily pads, this is a non-issue. The rule is covering the "one lily pad card remaining" instance.

But it says "After sliding Lily Pad Cards, the grouping of cards can never be a straight line, if possible."
That's why im wondering so much about 2+ cards.
I'm reading this like "if there is more than 1 LP card to slide, you can't slide the cards to the same column/row, unless that's not possible".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Amorim
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
heiliger wrote:
If you only have two lily pads you will always have a straight line. If you have a situation like
LP1
LP2 Log LP3 LP4

and score LP1 you will have a straight line, but since everything is still connected it is impossible to avoid this with sliding.

In a case which looks like that I figure like:

LPx
LP1
LP2 Log LP3 LP4

When LP1 got scored, this rules seems like an obligation to slide LPx to below or above the Log, in order to prevent the straight line..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heiliger wrote:
FreedomGunfire wrote:
heiliger wrote:
FreedomGunfire wrote:
heiliger wrote:
Thats my biggest doubt..

But it says "After sliding Lily Pad Cards, the grouping of cards can never be a straight line, if possible."
Sliding zero cards is arguably still sliding cards, so in the example I gave above you are sliding (zero) cards and afterwards all cards are in a straight line. This is one of the cases where the "if possible" is needed.

I think you are overthinking it. There is no need to read the sentence other than written, assuming that it is written to cover as many situations as possible (i.e. sliding any non-negative number of cards)
Of course the rules could be written like "If you are sliding one or more cards, all cards, including the ones not moved during this sliding, cannot form a straight line after sliding is completed. If you are sliding the only lily pad in play it may/must form a straight line with the log. If you are not sliding any cards the shape of the cards in play is irrelevant"
This comes out to the same result as the current writing, but is of course much longer.

Also, in your interpretation why write "if possible"? It is always possible to slide 2 cards into different columns/rows (since there is always at least one column and one row, one card can be added to the row and the other to the column) so that addition is never needed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
heiliger wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
heiliger wrote:
LP1
LP2 Log LP3 LP4

LPx
LP1
LP2 Log LP3 LP4

When LP1 got scored, this rules seems like an obligation to slide LPx to below or above the Log, in order to prevent the straight line..
Yes, that is correct.
I'm not sure how that relates to the question though, since that is clearly a case where it is possible to slide the card in a way that doesn't create a single line of cards in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artur Amorim
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
heiliger wrote:
Ze_German_Guy wrote:
heiliger wrote:
LP1
LP2 Log LP3 LP4

LPx
LP1
LP2 Log LP3 LP4

Yes, that is correct.
I'm not sure how that relates to the question though, since that is clearly a case where it is possible to slide the card in a way that doesn't create a single line of cards in play.

Because I was thinking in EVERY SLIDE we should put cards in another row/column. Now I see what it means.
And in the case of the thread post, now why I see why the player could slide the LP4-6 to any place: because the existance of the LP1..

Well, I will wait the pronouncement from @kmatejka to clarify this rule.

ps: actually sliding is the last part of the player turn, I don't see how sliding 0 cards can be = slide cards..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Matejka
United States
Middleton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow.

Hey Artur. Sorry for the late response here.

The intention was that after completing the "Slide Lily Pad Cards" step, the formation is not a straight line. In an instance of only the Log card and one Lily Pad Card left, then there is no choice, as a straight line must be created. That was the reason why the "if possible" phrase was included.

If the cards are in a straight line, then all players can play on every card, which makes the strategy of where to place your lily pad card less interesting. This rule was included to eliminate that situation.

Thanks to Ben, Dustin, and Niko. They pretty much covered it, I believe.

Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.