Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played Fury of Dracula for the first time last night but something seemed off in combat because we couldn't score damage against Dracula. I was left wondering whether a round meant the playing of a card or the playing of a hand of cards.

I think the Hunters played their turn right. But here's how it went down mechanically.

1. The Hunter's would pick up their item cards and the Punch, Dodge, Escape cards to form their "hand" and then the Hunter would choose one card to play. Dracula would then play one card from his hand of five cards and compare.

2. If either the Punch, Dodge, Escape card were played, then the Hunter would take that card back into his or her hand. If the card played was an item card, then the Hunter would discard it. Dracula would discard the card he played, regardless of whatever card was that was played by him.

3. Dracula would then draw a new card to refill his hand. The Hunter would then take any remaining item cards not yet used and the Punch, Dodge, Escape cards and choose one to play again. Dracula would then play one card from his hand new hand of cards (his 4 original cards + one new drawn card), choose one card, play it and then compare a second time.

Does this sound correct?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin S
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think you automatically discard an item card in combat after playing it. You were correct about Hunter's playing a hand of the three yellow plus any red banner cards. Note, other cards effect combat e.g surprise ambush (I think that's the right name) which allows the Hunter to swap their card after playing it.

Hunter and Dracula play a card. Dracula sees if his icon is matched on the Hunter's card - if so it the Hunter Dracula's card is cancelled (See thread below - my bad!). Any damage caused by Dracula's card is then applied to the Hunter.
Then the Hunter card, if not cancelled, applies damage to Dracula e.g. Punch = 1.
Dracula draws a new card to take hand back up to 5.
Next round Dracula and Hunter play two new cards and resolve as above.
Hunter can then take the first card played back into their hand, including an item such as a weapon.
Combat with Dracla lasts into 6th Round.

I hope this helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdbret wrote:
We played Fury of Dracula for the first time last night but something seemed off in combat because we couldn't score damage against Dracula. I was left wondering whether a round meant the playing of a card or the playing of a hand of cards.

A round is the playing of one card by each combatant.

Quote:
I think the Hunters played their turn right. But here's how it went down mechanically.

1. The Hunter's would pick up their item cards and the Punch, Dodge, Escape cards to form their "hand" and then the Hunter would choose one card to play. Dracula would then play one card from his hand of five cards and compare.

Correct, although strictly all cards are played simultaneously.

Quote:
2. If the Punch, Dodge, Escape card were played then the hunter would then take those previously played cards back into their hand. If it was an item card, then the Hunter would discard it. Dracula would discard the card he played, regardless of whatever card was played.

Regardless of whether the hunter card played is an item or one of the basic cards is played it remains on the table and is unplayable for the next round. Items are not discarded unless there is some specific reason.

Quote:
3. Dracula would then draw a new card to refill their hand. The hunter's would then take any remaining item cards and the Punch, Dodge, Escape card and choose one to play again. Dracula would then play one card from his hand new hand of cards (the 4 original cards + one new card), choose and play one card and then compare.

Correct, but the hunter now picks up the card played in the previous round and it is available to play again. The card played in the current round remains on the table.

Essentially hunter cards are not discarded unless specifically instructed and the hunters may not play the same card in successive rounds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What's supposed to happen when the "punch" card runs into Dracula's "strength" card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
rdbret wrote:

A round is the playing of one card by each combatant.

Quote:

Correct, although strictly all cards are played simultaneously.

Quote:
2. If the Punch, Dodge, Escape card were played then the hunter would then take those previously played cards back into their hand. If it was an item card, then the Hunter would discard it. Dracula would discard the card he played, regardless of whatever card was played.

Regardless of whether the hunter card played is an item or one of the basic cards is played it remains on the table and is unplayable for the next round. Items are not discarded unless there is some specific reason.

Quote:
3. Dracula would then draw a new card to refill their hand. The hunter's would then take any remaining item cards and the Punch, Dodge, Escape card and choose one to play again. Dracula would then play one card from his hand new hand of cards (the 4 original cards + one new card), choose and play one card and then compare.

Correct, but the hunter now picks up the card played in the previous round and it is available to play again. The card played in the current round remains on the table.

Essentially hunter cards are not discarded unless specifically instructed and the hunters may not play the same card in successive rounds.

Thanks for this but I'm still not sure I understand. Probably because I need a nap after playing this game till 1am last night. lol

Is their a good video anyone could recommend that shows combat done correctly, so I may visualize it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdbret wrote:
What's supposed to happen when the "punch" card runs into Dracula's "strength" card.

Punch does not cancel Strength, so the hunter takes 2 damage, then (unless the hunter has been defeated by the damage), the Vampire takes a point of damage.(Scratch that last, Strength cancels Punch)

The Punch card and Strength card remain on the table and Dracula draws another card to replace Strength. The next round now begins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rdbret wrote:

Thanks for this but I'm still not sure I understand. Probably because I need a nap after playing this game till 1am last night. lol

Is their a good video anyone could recommend that shows combat done correctly, so I may visualize it?

I'm sure someone could recommend one, although I haven't watched many and can't immediately point to one. I would recommend looking up the combat sequence listed in the reference guide and follow those steps strictly, that should lead you to the correct way to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much. I literally had a bit of a nap.

The issue with us was that Dracula would constantly play the Strength card pretty much negating Punch, which seemed to be the only way to attack Dracula and do any damage without an item card.

But whenever the strength card was played, it seems like the Hunter took damage but Dracula didn't? I'll have to go back and look at it later tonight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flavio Santos
Brazil
Brasilia
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rdbret wrote:
Thank you so much. I literally had a bit of a nap.

The issue with us was that Dracula would constantly play the Strength card pretty much negating Punch, which seemed to be the only way to attack Dracula and do any damage without an item card.

But whenever the strength card was played, it seems like the Hunter took damage but Dracula didn't? I'll have to go back and look at it later tonight.

If you pay more attention to the answers given, you will see that you played it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:
Hunter and Dracula play a card. Dracula sees if his icon is matched on the Hunter's card - if so it the Hunter card is cancelled. Any damage caused by Dracula's card is then applied to the Hunter.

Am I missing something, or is this exactly backwards? If the icon is matched, shouldn't it be Dracula's card that is canceled?

Quote:
Compare Combat Icons: The players check if the
combat icon on Dracula’s card matches a highlighted combat
icon on the banner of the hunter’s card. If it does, the effect on
Dracula’s revealed combat card is canceled

From my understanding, only a few things Dracula does can cause the Hunter cards to be canceled. For example, Mesmerize cancels the hunter card played against it, but again only if that hunter card doesn't first cancel Mesmerize by having the same symbol on it. In most situations when you have the hunter card not canceling the Dracula card, Dracula does his damage/effect and then the hunter does their damage/effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
Achtung_Panzer10 wrote:
Hunter and Dracula play a card. Dracula sees if his icon is matched on the Hunter's card - if so it the Hunter card is cancelled. Any damage caused by Dracula's card is then applied to the Hunter.

Am I missing something, or is this exactly backwards? If the icon is matched, shouldn't it be Dracula's card that is canceled?

Yes, you're quite correct.

rdbret wrote:

There are a few things to bear in mind here.

1. As mentioned further up, Strength doesn't cancel Punch, so Dracula will still take 1 damage if that card combination is played. (as pointed out further down, ignore this I misremembered and misread Strength)

2. Hunters should do their best to avoid combat when they do not have any item cards.

3. Dracula can't continually play Strength, there are only 2 copies of the card in his 13 card combat deck, so he will be able to play it a maximum of twice in a single fight.

4. If Dracula is regularly plying Strength as his first card, maybe the hunter should consider opening with Dodge (if they want to stay in the fight) or Escape (to bring it to a quick close, which is probably wise if they have no items). Both of these cards cancel Strength.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
2. Hunters should do their best to avoid combat when they do not have any item cards.
This sage advice is compounded by the OP description of how they mis-played, discarding the items they did have after one use (instead of putting them back into their hand).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
DaveD wrote:
This sage advice is compounded by the OP description of how they mis-played, discarding the items they did have after one use (instead of putting them back into their hand).

Yes, judging by our results, I was pretty confident we misplayed combat. Hence, my post. But I just didn't know how and you guys are awesome in helping us figure it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
United States
West Fargo
ND
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:

1. As mentioned further up, Strength doesn't cancel Punch, so Dracula will still take 1 damage if that card combination is played.

3. Dracula can't continually play Strength, there are only 2 copies of the card in his 13 card combat deck, so he will be able to play it a maximum of twice in a single fight.

4. If Dracula is regularly plying Strength as his first card, maybe the hunter should consider opening with Dodge (if they want to stay in the fight) or Escape (to bring it to a quick close, which is probably wise if they have no items). Both of these cards cancel Strength.

For #1, Strength does cancel Punch, but I agree with your other points.

Strength text:
"...
If he played "Punch," "Crucifix," or a WEAPON card, cancel that card.
..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
traemyn wrote:
DaveD wrote:

1. As mentioned further up, Strength doesn't cancel Punch, so Dracula will still take 1 damage if that card combination is played.

For #1, Strength does cancel Punch, but I agree with your other points.

Strength text:
"...
If he played "Punch," "Crucifix," or a WEAPON card, cancel that card.
..."

Yes you're right, not sure how I managed to misread the card notes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I found this. It proved very helpful.

R.

COMBAT

If a hunter is on Dracula’s current location at dawn or dusk, combat occurs. A delayed hunter on Dracula’s current location participates in the combat. If combat is at dusk or night, Dracula resolves the at night effects of his combat cards.

The hunter takes 1 Dodge, Punch, and Escape card from the hunter combat card piles and adds them to his hand of item cards (these do not count toward his hand limit).

Dracula shuffles the Dracula combat deck and draws 5 cards.

Resolve combat by following these steps:

1. Choose Combat Cards: Each player chooses 1 card from his hand and places it facedown. The hunter must choose one of his cards that has a banner (red or yellow).

2. Choose Engaged Hunter: Dracula chooses one of the hunters in the combat to become the engaged hunter. Only that hunter can block Dracula’s combat card. If there is only one hunter in the combat, he is the engaged hunter.

3. Reveal Combat Cards: All characters in the combat simultaneously reveal their chosen cards.

4. Compare Combat Icons: Check if the combat icon on Dracula’s card matches a highlighted combat icon on the banner of the engaged hunter’s card. If it does, the effect on Dracula’s revealed combat card is canceled; and Dracula ips that card facedown.

5. Resolve Dracula’s Effect: If Dracula’s revealed combat card was not canceled, Dracula resolves the effect on the card; then he ips that card facedown. Dracula’s Pride ability restricts when he can play Escape as Mist and Escape as Bat.
If all hunters in the combat are defeated after Dracula resolves his card’s effect, the combat immediately ends.

6. Resolve Hunter’s Effect: Each hunter in the combat resolves the effect of his card (it remains in the play area). If a hunter’s card is canceled, it is ipped facedown and not resolved.
If an effect on a hunter’s card defeats Dracula, the hunters immediately win the game.

7. Check Combat Status: If Dracula has played 6 combat cards, the combat ends immediately.

8. Refresh Hands: Dracula draws the top card of the Dracula combat deck. Combat cards played during this round remain in front of the hunter who played it. Hunter combat cards played during the previous round are returned to their owner’s hand.

Players continue resolving combat rounds until a combat ends in one of these ways: Dracula has played 6 combat cards; Dracula wins the game by advancing the influence track to space 13; the hunters win the game by defeating Dracula; all hunters involved in the combat are bitten, defeated, or have escaped; or Dracula resolves Escape as Bat or Escape as Mist.

After combat ends, each hunter in the combat places his hunter combat cards (Dodge, Punch, and Escape) back in the combat card piles near the board. Dracula shuffles all Dracula combat cards into his deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Bretsch
United States
University City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About that Strength Card.

The cards says:

The engaged hunter suffers 2 damage.

If he played, "Punch", "Crucifix" or a "Weapon" card, cancel that card.

So what is the best card to play to defense against "Strength" if you feel it is coming? And why?

Many thanks!

Ryan

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
rdbret wrote:
About that Strength Card.

The cards says:

The engaged hunter suffers 2 damage.

If he played, "Punch", "Crucifix" or a "Weapon" card, cancel that card.

So what is the best card to play to defense against "Strength" if you feel it is coming? And why?

Many thanks!

Ryan

Well, Dodge would be an easy one, as it cancels Strength before it ever happens. Ditto any other card with the same symbol as Strength (except maybe Escape or Holy Circle, if you want to continue fighting.) Garlic would be the other one, and it would cancel any Fangs attack if they did that instead of Strength (and do damage to Dracula to boot).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayde Holland
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
8. Refresh Hands: Dracula draws the top card of the Dracula combat deck. Combat cards played during this round remain in front of the hunter who played it. Hunter combat cards played during the previous round are returned to their owner’s hand.

Am I right by saying this then...

Round 1 - hunters and dracula choose and play one card. Once cards are resolved dracula discards his card (which functions as a round counter) and draws a new card, bringing his hand back to 5 cards.

Round 2 - The hunter leaves his card played in round 1 face up on the table. The hunter and dracula now each play a new card, the same way they done it in round 1. The cards are resolved and dracula discards his card.

At this point, the Hunter now takes the card that was played (and left) on the table in the first round, and returns it to his hand, but leaves the card he played in the second round on the table, leaving him unable to play that card for the 3rd round of combat.

This system continues until someone defeats his opponent or until 6 rounds of combat have been resolved.

Is this right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
waydeholland wrote:

Round 1 - hunters and dracula choose and play one card. Once cards are resolved dracula discards his card (which functions as a round counter) and draws a new card, bringing his hand back to 5 cards.

Round 2 - The hunter leaves his card played in round 1 face up on the table. The hunter and dracula now each play a new card, the same way they done it in round 1. The cards are resolved and dracula discards his card.

At this point, the Hunter now takes the card that was played (and left) on the table in the first round, and returns it to his hand, but leaves the card he played in the second round on the table, leaving him unable to play that card for the 3rd round of combat.

This system continues until someone defeats his opponent or until 6 rounds of combat have been resolved.

Is this right?

Yes that is correct, although combat can also end if all the combatants on one side escape. Also it is possible that hunters may have to discard the card they play in some circumstances (Dracula plays Strength against Crucifix or a weapon at night).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
waydeholland wrote:

Is this right?

The only other slight tweak I'd make is that rather than "discarding" Dracula's cards, you just leave them face up on the table. This both serves as a counter for when Dracula has played enough cards to escape and lets the hunters check which cards he has already used.

Looking through the various rules and FAQ, I can't find it saying one way or the other what you're supposed to do with Dracula's cards (other than not shuffle them back into the combat deck until after combat), so you could play it the way you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DaveD wrote:
waydeholland wrote:
Once cards are resolved dracula discards his card (which functions as a round counter) and draws a new card, bringing his hand back to 5 cards.

Yes that is correct, although combat can also end if all the combatants on one side escape. Also it is possible that hunters may have to discard the card they play in some circumstances (Dracula plays Strength against Crucifix or a weapon at night).

To quibble a little: there is no "discard" (in the usual meaning) for Dracula. See 5 Resolve Dracula’s Effect: "Then, [Dracula] flips that card facedown and it remains in the play area."

Those facedown cards (along with any face-up Plotting cards) are used to count rounds -- when (after resolution) there are six Dracula cards on the table, combat ends (7. Check Combat Status).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason
United States
Brooklyn Center
Minnesota
flag msg tools
randiv wrote:
DaveD wrote:
waydeholland wrote:
Once cards are resolved dracula discards his card (which functions as a round counter) and draws a new card, bringing his hand back to 5 cards.

To quibble a little: there is no "discard" (in the usual meaning) for Dracula. See 5 Resolve Dracula’s Effect: "Then, [Dracula] flips that card facedown and it remains in the play area."

Those facedown cards (along with any face-up Plotting cards) are used to count rounds -- when (after resolution) there are six Dracula cards on the table, combat ends (7. Check Combat Status).

Ah, there you go. Kept looking through all three documents and couldn't find it. So officially, face down if they are a result that's already resolved/cancelled and no longer applicable. I say that because I think you'd need to leave others face up (Mesmerize, if nothing else).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jepmn wrote:
randiv wrote:

Ah, there you go. Kept looking through all three documents and couldn't find it. So officially, face down if they are a result that's already resolved/cancelled and no longer applicable. I say that because I think you'd need to leave others face up (Mesmerize, if nothing else).

Correct. Mesmerize and Plotting are the two cards that have the text "Keep this card face up until the end of the combat." (Plotting can be turned face down later to cancel Punch, Dodge, or Escape.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Michaels
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick q: On the escape as... cards, the hunter card is still resolved, then Drac/Vamp escapes, right (if it isn't cancelled)? In other words, it combat doesn't immediately end.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.