The Others» Forums » Rules

Subject: Zhi too strong rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bene D
Germany
flag msg tools
Hey guys,

We have played our first round of The Others and we think Zhi is too strong. He gets one die for ech fight he survived. Thats crazy. After a couple of fights he is killing everything with thousands of dice.

Is this correct? Or does his marks have a cap/are deleted at the end of the round? Or is he really that strong?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Yes that's correct. I don't see how that's all that broken.

Compare for example to Roco (or Brad? Don't have the game in front of me) who already starts with 2 successes on ranged fight - not a roll, 100% success.

Or Odin that gives a +1 die to anyone whose injured, that's effectively a +3/+4 to fights.

All it means is that you have to either kill Zhi fast, or avoid him entirely and take out other people.

Yes, the game has huge balance issues, but Zhi is manageable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diversion Architect
msg tools
mbmb
I am with you on him being stupid strong. Not in an overpowered sense- since he is killable. But in a "wow my power is way less exciting by comparison".

I'm not sure what his intention was, and its very strange to have his ability on a shooter that is so rarely used as a shooter, but maybe that's just my play group.

I think he'd be a lot more fun if it was like Baldur- only on fights he starts- and to make the shooting matter, only on ranged fights he starts- hell let him mark himself before the shot (and have the bonus for that fight) and it's still better.

The above comment about Rocco isn't so valid because Rocco's ability requires ranged fights, which are rarely part of a big mission ending fight.

Odin's ability makes the whole team feel powerful- which is fun for the whole team- unlike Zhi imo. The delicate balance of actually wanting wounds (but not dieing) is also much more exciting.

We haven't changed anything about Zhi, but I probably will do that or start randomizing the FAITH team picks since he has been chosen for the team in far more games than any other character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
diversionArchitect wrote:

I think he'd be a lot more fun if it was like Baldur- only on fights he starts- and to make the shooting matter, only on ranged fights he starts- hell let him mark himself before the shot (and have the bonus for that fight) and it's still better.

Hm, the sin player obviously shouldn't start a fight with Zhi when the chance to kill him is small, which should lead to this automatically, or I am missing something here?

As for the OPs question, did the FAITH team win that game? If not, I don't see that much of a problem - apart from what DA said about the internal team balance.
My solution to the "problem" Zhi would be to kill him, and fast.
Obviously, you just shouldn't attack him with too few monsters.
I also am not sure how Zhi manages to get that many fights in a game where the heroes should not always actively seek fights and try to achieve their objectives fast. Maybe that varies with different mission types, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
Yeah... I have to agree with Chris above, how high did Zhi get for you?

In most of my games, the game ended on round 2 at most or maybe just scratching start of round 3.

If the Sin player isn't being stupid, he won't attack Zhi unless he really thinks he can take him out or get close to it. So Zhi isn't getting a lot of bonuses. We're talking at most by the end of the game what? +4?

The above comment about Rocco isn't so valid because Rocco's ability requires ranged fights, which are rarely part of a big mission ending fight.

Seriously? Ranged Fights are rare part of a mission? You guys are really playing it wrong. Ranged fights are the best thing you can do in missions since you do with relatively low risk since you can either kill them before they attack you, block their passage via other heroes or just pick someone that's too far.

There is virtually no penalty for going ranged, not even less chance to hit like in Arcadia Quest and you're rolling the same amount of dice. If you're not doing enough ranged fights, you're doing things wrong.

If you are only dealing with monsters in buildings, you are doing things wrong.

Now back to the point...

Zhi will be the best ranged character in the long term but he also starts really really weak. He can't kill as much as other characters of his class. You'll note that all blue characters have 3 dice to fight except Rocco which gets 2 hits.

And most of their abilities let you make auto kills which means that they kill better than Zhi.

Being best at long term isn't as useful as you think considering the game shouldn't last that long.

Zhi is good. But he is not all that powerful and yeah, I wouldn't automatically pick him in every mission.

He needs 72 fights just to be on par with Freya (who still has better defense)

And doesn't get autokills like Eagle, Rocco or Nicole and he doesn't get to act as much as Polly and Julia.

And Manuella gets more upgrades per turn than him.

We haven't changed anything about Zhi, but I probably will do that or start randomizing the FAITH team picks since he has been chosen for the team in far more games than any other character.

I think randomizing is important, otherwise the game will be the same every time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.