Subject: Dormitory Question [Spoilers] rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Spoiler (click to reveal)
We had a question about TU expenditure in the Dormitory. Marie and Felix arrive at the location and go to the space with the man in bed. The team decides to spend 1 TU which allows them to make rolls on the test to free him. Marie goes first, and in one roll frees the man which reveals the next card. The next card is a lock card where you must fight the man. Felix hasn't used his action from the TU, so can he fight the man now within the SAME TU OR must a new TU be spent for Felix to fight because it is a different kind of test to fight?

I hope this makes sense. We played it that because Felix hadn't actioned from the first TU and we were forced to reveal the card that we didn't need to expend another TU, however, reading some other threads about how TU are spent, I think we played it wrong. Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasvik -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am quite sure that Felix may spend his action for fighting Salvador Dali within the same TU. I don´t have the rules with me, but I remember that it says somewhere that every player may adopt their planned action to the situation after someone else triggered something within the same TU...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wouldn't this mean that whenever somebody is stuck on a lock card, the only decision is for every player to go to this card, seen as once it's beat the other players who haven't done an action that turn can then go to another location and read that card anyway? You can't leave until that lock card is resolved anyway, so why would you ever not do this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasvik -
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We were a group of three. If I recover right, one of us went on that card and got stuck there. We decided that it would be enough if one other player may help while the other one kept on exploring the rest locations of the room and thus saving time!. So only one other player moved there...and that made perfect sense...

In case you trigger a (locked) card where no one else is allowed to help the other players may keep on going what they wanted to do ... unless the card says otherwise...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
I can confirm that the second character can use their action to fight. This is one of the best examples of learning how spending TU and characters taking actions in whatever order you want to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hainz
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwalms wrote:
Wouldn't this mean that whenever somebody is stuck on a lock card, the only decision is for every player to go to this card, seen as once it's beat the other players who haven't done an action that turn can then go to another location and read that card anyway?

No, because for moving (two times in that case) you have to spend TU as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeGon wrote:
tigerwalms wrote:
Wouldn't this mean that whenever somebody is stuck on a lock card, the only decision is for every player to go to this card, seen as once it's beat the other players who haven't done an action that turn can then go to another location and read that card anyway?

ha, I'm still struggling with this!

So basically if you move you may not perform a test until the next round of TUs?

The first time you turn a card over and see there's a test on it then it isn't until the next TU that you get to roll for a test I assume? So you'd never roll a dice on first reveal of a card?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
When you move to a new location, you read the base and everyone goes to a card and reads it. Then you can spend 1 TU for each person to do an action, either:
a) Roll for a skill test
b) Move to a different card
c) Do nothing.

If a card has non-skill test stuff on it, you can do it after reading and not spend a TU.

If a card has you "reveal immediately" another card, then that card replaces your current card, so you don't have to move to it (pg14). Sometimes you just get state tokens though, and actually have to move to the card with the state token. You just have to pay attention to the wording.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
tigerwalms wrote:
LeGon wrote:
tigerwalms wrote:

ha, I'm still struggling with this!

So basically if you move you may not perform a test until the next round of TUs?

The first time you turn a card over and see there's a test on it then it isn't until the next TU that you get to roll for a test I assume? So you'd never roll a dice on first reveal of a card?

Yes that's pretty much right. You have to spend a TU to do a skill test.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Walmsley
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
When you move to a new location, you read the base and everyone goes to a card and reads it. Then you can spend 1 TU for each person to do an action, either:
a) Roll for a skill test
b) Move to a different card
c) Do nothing.

If a card has non-skill test stuff on it, you can do it after reading and not spend a TU.

If a card has you "reveal immediately" another card, then that card replaces your current card, so you don't have to move to it (pg14). Sometimes you just get state tokens though, and actually have to move to the card with the state token. You just have to pay attention to the wording.

Hope that helps!

That explains it perfectly, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
mbmbmbmbmb
How and when you have to spend TU is one of the trickiest parts of the game, and it shouldnt be, but it is.

I explain it as "any time you need to pick up the dice and roll them for a skill test, be it combat, thieving, or trying to open a can of anchovies, it costs you a TU to do so".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Hainz
Germany
BW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
soosy wrote:
When you move to a new location, you read the base and everyone goes to a card and reads it.

Sorry, I don't mean to be fussy, but you should be more explicit here (this can be important, I think of a very peculiar location in "Asylum"):

You may choose to go to different cards B - ? and read them. You can also leave the location instead after reading card A by rolling the time die again to anticipate unwelcome encounters and tests.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.