Subject: A few questions from a beginner about rules rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Karl Brobakk
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Howdy!

I have the basic pack for Memoir 44. Just to be sure...

1) Am I right that there can be more than one fixed obstacle in one hex? I had the card "dig in" and had infantry units in hedgehogs...

2) Am I right that you can not dig in when in water?

3) Artillery fires at infantry in hedgehogs and get a flag and a star. Am I right that the flag is ignored when the artillery fire, like with any other unit?

4) Terrain: beach. Units moving ONTO beach can only move 2. Am I right that this means that tanks that are moving from the ocean (or other terrain) and onto the beach can only move 2? Or does that mean that tanks can never move more than 2 if they do any of their moves on a beach tile?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clexton27
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iolaos wrote:
Howdy!

I have the basic pack for Memoir 44. Just to be sure...

1) Am I right that there can be more than one fixed obstacle in one hex? I had the card "dig in" and had infantry units in hedgehogs...

2) Am I right that you can not dig in when in water?

3) Artillery fires at infantry in hedgehogs and get a flag and a star. Am I right that the flag is ignored when the artillery fire, like with any other unit?

4) Terrain: beach. Units moving ONTO beach can only move 2. Am I right that this means that tanks that are moving from the ocean (or other terrain) and onto the beach can only move 2? Or does that mean that tanks can never move more than 2 if they do any of their moves on a beach tile?

1. Yes, you may add a SANDBAG to any non-waterway hex. So, you can put a SANDBAG on a BUNKER, or a HEDGEHOG HEX.however, the defensive value is not cumulative.

2. No "Digging In" on a waterway hex. This would include OCEANS, FORDABLE RIVERS and FORDABLE STREAMS.

3. A unit on a HEDGEHOG HEX may ignore the first flag. So even a flag from an Artillery unit may be ignored. You MAY NOT, HOWEVER, ignore a flag from an Airpower Card.

4. FAQ Rules for BEACHES:
Quote:
Q. When an Armor unit moves two hexes along clear terrain, may it enter a Beach hex as its third hex of movement?
A. No. A unit that moves onto a Beach hex during any part of its movement phase (it does not matter if it’s the first or second hex)
may only move two hexes for its total movement this turn. The unit, however, may Take Ground or Armor Overrun and gain an
additional hex of movement that way.
Examples:
» An Armor unit moves ashore from the Ocean. The first hex is a Beach. The Armor can only move one more hex because it
is limited to two hexes total.
» An Armor unit moves from one Beach hex to another. The next hex is open ground, but the unit must stop after entering the
open ground because it moved onto a Beach hex first and is limited to two hexes.
» An Armor unit moves across one open hex then onto a Beach hex. It must stop when it enters the Beach hex because the
two hex limit applies when the unit enters the beach hex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anton Nieuwkoop
Netherlands
Klundert
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent questions by you Karl and answered by Clexton27.
You definitely read the rules to come up with those

Only one thing to add:
3. A unit on a HEDGEHOG HEX may ignore the first flag. So even a flag from an Artillery unit may be ignored. You MAY NOT, HOWEVER, ignore a flag from an Airpower Card and barrage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david Gorman
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmb
On point 1 while the defensive values (dice reductions) do not stack I think the flags you can ignore do stack.
I may have been playing it wrong for 11 years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clexton27
United States
Forest
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dagorman86 wrote:
On point 1 while the defensive values (dice reductions) do not stack I think the flags you can ignore do stack.
I may have been playing it wrong for 11 years.

There is no stacking for dice values OR flag reduction based on terrain alone. The only time that flag reduction MAY stack is when the unit itself that is being attacked has a separate flag reduction apart from the terrain reduction.

EXAMPLES:
A HEROIC LEADER (which may ignore the first flag) is in a bunker and has two flags rolled against him. He may ignore both flags because the terrain cancels one and the special ability cancels the second one.

An ITALIAN ARTILLERY unit (which may ignore the first flag) in a sandbag also may ignore two flags.

A JAPANESE INFANTRY (which MUST ignore the first flag) MUST ignore two flags
when in sandbags or any other terrain which May ignore one flag.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Brobakk
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Good answers, than you.

A short follow up on one example:
-Infantry in a hedgehog is digging in. That means that units that fire on them (infantry and tanks) get a -1 penalty because of the sandbag, but the defending infantry can still only ignore one flag, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Brobakk
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
A fast question:

One player uses the card "Air Strike" (just to use an example).
The other player plays "counter attack" on his turn and gets to do an air strike as well. Can player one play another counter attack card on his turn and and do a counter attack on the counter attack card, which was used to counter air strike, in order to get another air strike?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Iolaos wrote:
A fast question:

One player uses the card "Air Strike" (just to use an example).
The other player plays "counter attack" on his turn and gets to do an air strike as well. Can player one play another counter attack card on his turn and and do a counter attack on the counter attack card, which was used to counter air strike, in order to get another air strike?

Yes

https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/content/cards_compe...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Brobakk
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
1) Can you decide to move into or deeper into the ocean on your own turn?

2) A lot of cards (behind enemy lines), and some places in the rule book it is written that "terrain is ignored". This is the case with artillery. What about obstacles? For example: the artillery card states that terrain protection is ignored, but it does not say anythnig about obstacles on the card. In the book they mention that there are no deductions for artillery.

So:
a) artillery firing on units with sandbags: the sandbags have no effect?
b) Can enemy behind the lines (and similar examples) move through wires, or do they have to deal with obstacles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes. This question is covered in the FAQ

2) In this case "terrain" includes obstacles. So

a) Yes, sandbags have no terrain protection against artillery. This should be covered in the FAQ.
b) Yes, BEL card can move through wires, bunkers etc. Treat each space moved in BEL as a separate one-space movement. Caves are a special case and unit must stop after moving through case (see FAQ). The FAQ lists summary of movement with BEL for many terrain types.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Brobakk
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Once in a while we end up playing cards on a flank where we do not have units in order to improve our hand. If your hand is good and you still do not want to do anything on your turn, you still have to play a card, right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, you must always play a card. This should be pretty clear from the rules, but if not, its true anyway.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Brobakk
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Another question:

9) Operation Luttich

Hill 317:
"The allied player may plan his "recon" cards as an Air Power strike for that section".

Does "that section" mean:

a) The section written on the "recon" card?
b) The section where Hill 317 is?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The section indicated by the Recon card.

The hill is essentially a "spotting" hex (and has to be occupied) but air strikes are called anywhere on the board, according to section on Recon-1 card.

The scenario is actually "Counter-attack on Mortain" for others that are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Brobakk
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Awesome Karl, thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Brobakk
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Air strike:
Flag = retreat 1 hex.

What about the French resistance?
-1 hex as mentioned on the card or
-1-3 hexes as normal when they retreat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In this instance the unit retreats according to its rules, so if indeed French resistance units retreat 1-3 hexes (I don't remember), retreat up to 3 hexes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Brobakk
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
A few more questions:

1) Units have to attack adjacent units. Does that go for artillery as well, or can they fire on whoever they wish within their distance?

2) The behind enemy lines card states that "terrain movement restrictions are ignored". Does that include fixed obstacles also? Can you go through wire for example?

3) Hills: "terrain protection applies only against units battling from below". Does that mean units that are situated at a lower altitude, or only adjacent units below the hill?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Sasinski
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Iolaos wrote:
A few more questions:

1) Units have to attack adjacent units. Does that go for artillery as well, or can they fire on whoever they wish within their distance?

Which rule states that only adjacent unit can be attacked? Such attack is "close assault", attacking not adjacent unit is called "ranged attack".

Iolaos wrote:

2) The behind enemy lines card states that "terrain movement restrictions are ignored". Does that include fixed obstacles also? Can you go through wire for example?

It includes obstacles.

Iolaos wrote:

3) Hills: "terrain protection applies only against units battling from below". Does that mean units that are situated at a lower altitude, or only adjacent units below the hill?

It applies to all units not on the hill hex, not matter where other hill hex is.

Second and third questions are clarified in FAQ

https://www.daysofwonder.com/memoir44/en/advanced-play/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Majfrost wrote:
Iolaos wrote:
A few more questions:

Which rule states that only adjacent unit can be attacked? Such attack is "close assault", attacking not adjacent unit is called "ranged attack".

Memoir '44 Rules wrote:
A unit adjacent to an enemy unit must Close Assault this unit if it chooses to battle. It may not
fire on another, more distant, enemy unit instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Sasinski
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ups, my bad

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Brobakk
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
If you have additional die due to for example "their finest hour". Will you get an additional die with your tanks in the second battle also after an armor overrun?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Sasinski
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hello... Do you have spare 10 seconds to download the FAQ I posted above?

FAQ - Finest Hour wrote:
Q. Does Armor keep the additional die for an Armor Overrun attack?
A. Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Brobakk
Norway
Oslo
flag msg tools
Yes, I have downloaded and printet the FAQ. Thanks for the link.

And by the way, the document is 77 pages. It is a good tool and sometimes very helpful, but it is not always convenient to find the answers to certain questions there.

It is convenient to ask questions here at the forum though, and it seems to me that many people are happy to help out by answering them too...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.