Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Helvard
Denmark
Aarhus C
EU
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the process of chewing through the rulebook and while I understand more and more of this (seemingly) amazing game, I wonder about one thing (well several, but I'll post them later )

If I have a biont in another player's bacteria as a foreign gene, why would I want to purchase a mutation for that organism? Wouldn't that just grant my opponent more cubes and therefor points? Not to mention more abilities?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Some ideas maybe. You will make that purchase by spending the other player's catalysts, and you will decide which mutation to purchase, so you could purchase one more favourable to your plans, one that gives you the upper hand when it comes to Red Queen attacks in case you also have a parasite attached to that player's organism. Plus it gives you more potential cubes to steal as diseased cubes from that host.
But that's only my rough estimate from what I think I know so far as I am also in the process of learning how this game works, and what players CAN do and what they are supposed to do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
グース
Japan
目黒区
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Another option is purchasing a mutation with HGT in order to reassign your biont, potentially leaving the organism without something useful )for instance as the green player I'm removing one Antioxidant shield by doing so.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
A simulation note: Biologists are just now catching up with the game question: what happens when a lifeform carries two different sets of DNA, when each need each other endosymbiotically, yet each with its own private goal to spread its own DNA? All eukaryotes, from slime molds to humans, carry DNA for their mitochondria separate from DNA for the rest of themselves. It is a brand new theory that this "difference in game victory conditions" is responsible for just about every puzzling aspect of the development of macroscopic life, from its very existence to its sexuality, nucleus, morphological complexity, and biodiversity of life today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gastonguay
United States
Pottstown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Act Three! Everybody Dies!
mbmbmb
Sometimes you want to keep it alive to have access to its home row.

Sometimes you want the HGT power as previously said.

Sometimes you just want to spend that player's catalysts so they can't make even MORE life, since the odds of their life surviving to end game can be small (if this is early life you're attached to).

Maybe a great card has been revealed that is perfect for another player and not great for the player you're attached to (You're on Blue who already has the DNA bonus, player Yellow doesn't have it, but it's just been revealed by Player Blue's purchase). You buy it so Yellow can't get it.

He's probably going macro anyway, so why not steal half the tropic bonus points (if it's near end game).

He needs one blue gene to become a worm. You use two blue catalysts to buy a red mutation.*

I think that's all I can think of right now. I play solo 9 times out of 10, so this is mostly thinking outside the box for me.

*not sure if this one's legal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.