Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just wondering how open the game play is on this. Are there a lot of ways to approach the strategies? Do the colonies and the other cards allow for a lot of variability?

I've been playing a lot of Feast for Odin, which allows a lot of possible approaches, and variability from the cards. Can anyone compare for me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Leitner
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played twice, so take what I say with a grain of salt.

The variability comes from both the order in which places are revealed and the colonies randomized to the game.

The first era seems to consist of building farms and storage and obtaining sources of renewable resources, but there is opportunity to diverge a bit from your opponents.

My experience has been that the game really starts humming in the second Era.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have played the first two ages once and preordered the game. That said, I think I would use the designers built in variant where everyone gets a set amount of points to spend on buildings and just start in the second age, which seems to be where the differentiation really starts to be more possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikko Saari
Finland
flag msg tools
http://www.lautapeliopas.fi/ - the best Finnish board game resource!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I think in the long run playing eras II and III seems to be more interesting two-era game than playing I and II, but of course you need to play the era I at least couple of times to understand what it is you want to buy when starting from era II.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fridjof B
Norway
Tranby
Norway
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garry_rice wrote:
Have played the first two ages once and preordered the game. That said, I think I would use the designers built in variant where everyone gets a set amount of points to spend on buildings and just start in the second age, which seems to be where the differentiation really starts to be more possible.

Warning, silly comment ahead: It's almost as with children - their first year isn't that interesting. Starting in Era II is therefore comparable with adopting what someone else's started...
On a serious note, I found it rewarding to see my strategy through from A-Z, and wouldn't skip the "setup" (Era I).
About OP's question, I found it very open with a lot of variability, and with next to no player interaction (less blocking than aFfO).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing this and aFfO 6 times now. For me, Feast for Odin has lots more possibilities than Colonists. I feel that Colonists is much more tight, what with the storage problems and sustenance problems. There are definitely different options, especially with the different colonies each time, but to me it feels more like Agricola than Feast for Odin.
The colonies and improvements make a difference for sure, but they don't give you a entirely different strategy (in my opinion), just a different way to get resources/deal with sustenance/etc.
I love both games for what they are, but don't think they are very alike in 'openness'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not yet played AFFO. But I've played two full games of The Coloninsts, and 3-5 shorter or introductory games.

Th eboard layout makes a big difference as to how easy it is to do things; some layouts make certain approaches that much harder to take.

And the colonies and their embassies make for a varied game. A game with a Lord colony played quite differently from one without, for example. Though you can't really build all the colonies available in each game, so your route to the end of the game will be different from that of other players if you build different embassies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Okolica
United States
Washington Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played AFfO yet, so take this with a grain of salt, but I suspect it'll be less sandboxy than AFfO. I compare Colonists to 'Gric with 4 differences:
1. Instead of blocking, you pay the player(s) who put a worker on an action before you.
2. Action selection is spatially limited
3. You can't just stockpile supplies. Storage is limited
4. Improvements aren't super-powered. They're like average strength 'Gric improvements.

As others have said, the colonies that come up will change the complexion of the game some, probably like relatively strong (but not bannable) community occupations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.