Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to that sweet deluxe 2nd edition, I was able to pick up a copy of this wonderful game. I had read the rules prior to getting the game and felt pretty strong about diving right in as soon as I received mine. While I certainly did, I found I struggled with an aspect of the game that shouldn't have been so bothersome for me.

I wasn't quite sure how to set up a Transport Canoe 'chain.' The rules state that if you have one, you can pre-move your existing pieces around before the Movement phase. What it didn't tell me specifically was how to form a chain.

My first runthrough of the game (solo, playing Tonga versus Samoa), I was spending my Build points to get canoes left and right. I felt that I needed to first get them built so that I could travel to newly discovered islands (via the fun Exploration phase) and drop them off one at a time as I left my home islands. It didn't quite feel right and I wasn't sure I was playing the game properly.

The way I see it now, after getting some very nice advice from a particular game designer (whistle...laugh), I now view the 'chains' as more of a secondary creation after other islands have been established. Where I was "bread trailing" canoes from home to who-knows-where, I should have been sailing with my people, developing villages first, then connecting with the canoes later on to combine Build points and get those cool VP's.

Just to add, the face-up/face-down aspect was also a bit of a peculiar thing for me as it suggested to me that building and advancement across the map was rather secretive and forced players to simply trust each other to build legitimately.

Anyone else have trouble with the Transport Canoe Chains? If so, how did you end up grasping the concept and how would you teach it to new players? meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ballou
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The Canoe Train is formed during the movement phase, and then functions in the following turn. Remember that only face up canoes can function as part of a Canoe Train.

"You may not turn over any Transport Canoes to their face up side, or otherwise reveal any concealed Transport Canoes, until after your Transit pre-move."

So flipping canoes is fine if you want to disguise or hide other forces but you break the chain unless you have additional canoes ready to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Ferguson
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
Hokie Hokie Hokie Hi! Tech Tech VPI!
badge
Santa's Workshop - Coming from Rio Grande Games in 2017
mbmbmbmbmb
Occupy Boardwalk wrote:

The way I see it now, after getting some very nice advice from a particular game designer (whistle...laugh), I now view the 'chains' as more of a secondary creation after other islands have been established. Where I was "bread trailing" canoes from home to who-knows-where, I should have been sailing with my people, developing villages first, then connecting with the canoes later on to combine Build points and get those cool VP's.

Well, you generally want to get any new villages/islands as part of your main empire as quickly as possible. So, you'll discover an island on the exploration step, and then you'll want to build a colony to send out and make a village. As part of that, you'll likely want to take along as many canoes to chain back to your home island.

There are some tricks you can play...remember that an island you control, which is not connected to your home island still gets it's own separate pool of build points. Those can be used to build a canoe there to chain back into the main group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan McNeely
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I used the advice here to help with the next game I had played. The 'Chains' are certainly an issue of timing as I chose to be a little more concerned about sending colonies across the ocean to build villages first. I had initially wanted all of my build points to be in the same pool (hence my original rush to get chains made), but I found out that it really doesn't have to be a rush job from the get-go.

In fact, it appeared development and strategic placement was much more efficient when I wasn't worrying so much about the connections.

Thanks for the pointers! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gavanized Yankee wrote:
The Canoe Train is formed during the movement phase, and then functions in the following turn. Remember that only face up canoes can function as part of a Canoe Train.

"You may not turn over any Transport Canoes to their face up side, or otherwise reveal any concealed Transport Canoes, until after your Transit pre-move."

So flipping canoes is fine if you want to disguise or hide other forces but you break the chain unless you have additional canoes ready to go.
Aha okej, so when im done with all my regular movement (which have been units face down, and people just need trust that I play correct), I then choose which units to put face up and at this point effectly make my canoe chain for next turn. If not another player comes and kill them or make them retreat
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin McPartland
United States
Jessup
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
Oliver Hazard Perry leader counter from Amateurs, To Arms! by Clash of Arms Games.
badge
Warrior Band counter for Conquest of Paradise by GMT Games.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tolchock wrote:
I then choose which units to put face up and at this point effectly make my canoe chain for next turn. If not another player comes and kill them or make them retreat

Correct! But your Transport Canoe Chain does not only effect your Transit for next turn. It also can have an effect on your Building Step and your Victory Point Step- which are both later in the same turn.

Kevin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.