Myth» Forums » General

Subject: getting started playing Myth 2.0 solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone,

Myth was one of the first modern board games I purchased when I started to get into the hobby of solo board gaming. There was the big fuss over the rules at that time so I shelved it. But now the new 2.0 rules are out and I would like to give it a go. Bear in mind that unlike many others I don't mind one off (non-campaign) games and am looking for a relatively quick and thematic tactical adventure that is solo friendly. Given that and the fact that I pretty much just want to use the contents of the base box (I did buy some extra copies of the models that came in the base set because I heard there were not enough and picked up the big orc boss because he was available and looked cool) what advice do people have for me to get started?

Thanks in advance and have a great day!

Michael
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Roop
United States
Mendon
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is a series of videos that show how the game plays. It is possible to learn without them but they do such a great job that they are worth your time. Suggestion: set the game components out so you can recreate the example in the video and pause occasionally to allow you to play through the "live" version of the example. The systems just seem difficult because they are different than any other game in this genre. I learned with the 1.0 and 1.3 rules and converting to 2.0 made things MUCH clearer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
wulung chuanfa
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Beholm wrote:
There is a series of videos that show how the game plays. It is possible to learn without them but they do such a great job that they are worth your time. Suggestion: set the game components out so you can recreate the example in the video and pause occasionally to allow you to play through the "live" version of the example. The systems just seem difficult because they are different than any other game in this genre. I learned with the 1.0 and 1.3 rules and converting to 2.0 made things MUCH clearer.

Thanks for the reply and the advice. With regard to the videos I have seen some of them, but am worried that since they were made during the older incarnation of the rules that they may no longer be accurate and may actually end up confusing me.. do you have any video recommendations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They're still applicable, 2.0 isn't that different. However, Myth is a bear to learn even with the videos so steel yourself for an uphill slog trying to accumulate the necessary tactics and knowledge of how to populate tiles and evaluate threat.

Definitely watch all the videos you can, especially the Megacon ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Renwick
Australia
Avalon
NSW
flag msg tools
The actual game isn't that different after 2.0, so watching those videos shouldn't lead you astray. What 2.0 changed mainly was the clarity of the rules.

I personally like the Lucy cycle as a way of starting. Others recommend Slaugterfield as a way of learning the core of the game without having to deal with complications like traps or lairs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been playing Myth solo for some time now. The 2.0 rules seem much clearer but since I learned using the 1.0 rules they may seem easier to me then they really are. From what I have heard from other first time players, the 2.0 rules are good enough to start playing. When I first started out I would Play--reread rules--watch videos -- read forums -- repeat. I still find questions pop up while I am playing. At this point most questions are minor and I write it down and play how I think it plays then go online later and see if I can clarify the question either here on BGG or Megacons Forum. I plan on eventually introducing Myth to my Friday work lunch time gaming group (usually a 1.5 lunch hour). We currently are Zombicide nerds.

WARNING: Start saving money now. The base game will satisfy you for a few months but you will feel the desire to purchase more and more. The best deal is to get in on any Kickstarters they have or try to buy one on eBay that is not too inflated in price. I just played my first game with the Blackwall expansion and it was great. Also, Megacon games has two other games they are working on that take place in the Myth Universe.

Good Luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It took me two weeks of reading and watching videos and playing solitaire till I could maybe understand it well enough to teach it to my friend. I can't think of another game that had this steep a learning curve. It's a great game and a unique one but the manuals do not in any way facilitate learning.

The biggest hole in the manual is the part where it doesn't tell you what you need to know to set up the tile. What is too hard, what is too easy, etc. The second biggest hole is how you're supposed to use each character and their unique abilities to be effective on the board.

Most games provide a series of missions designed to introduce you to the rules and get you into the swing. This one doesn't. It's like sitting a new pilot in a F-16 simulator. Sure it's cool and someday you'll be a hot pilot but there will be ... umm... some learning experiences first.

Note that my friend, with someone who understood the system, was able to learn it in a couple of hours and play pretty well. This is SO much easier if the manual is in the box and someone is teaching you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathrin
Austria
Wien
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, the Slaughterfield game mode was a good introduction. It allowed me to get to know the heroes' decks, the enemies and the basic game structure with its different phases while reducing the complexity by leaving out some elements like traps, lairs, quests, Darkness deck etc. It isn't the most interesting game mode, but for me, the repetitive structure made it easier to learn the basics.
My first two games were with two heroes each (Soldier and Acolyte first, then Soldier and Archer). Then I started taking all three of them.

carbon_dragon wrote:
The second biggest hole is how you're supposed to use each character and their unique abilities to be effective on the board.

I agree that the rules should have been clearer in places, and that there should have been more guidance on how to set up a first game.
But the part I quoted - for me, this isn't a hole! Discovering this is one of the most fun parts of the game! How to best use each hero is very much something I want to find out for myself. I don't expect the heroes to "be effective" in my first game. I expect them (and myself) to fail, and learn, and gradually get better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The original rules had a 2 page or so start on what each character was good at and how to use them. This was inexplicably removed for v2. Not enough but something.

For a game which depends on you managing the threat level and making good decisions on tile population, there is precious little help to doing it. The rules themselves are there, it's just not enough to play Myth without a lot of staring down at the board and wondering what you should do next.

It's like being given your first home computer with an instruction manual translated from japanese. It's wonderful, but you have a lot of work ahead of you to get the best out of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MM
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
carbon_dragon wrote:
The original rules had a 2 page or so start on what each character was good at and how to use them. This was inexplicably removed for v2. Not enough but something.

They were removed so the rulebook could be 32 pages. It was all about cost savings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mistermannindy wrote:
carbon_dragon wrote:

They were removed so the rulebook could be 32 pages. It was all about cost savings.

That is very plausible but the reason for the 2.0 rules is usually that they wanted to improve them for learning the game. I believe your reason though.

Again though, as someone who bought the game with both sets of rules, I read them both. Both explained the mechanics well but neither really "taught" the game. The Megacon videos did a pretty decent job of that though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dreadknot Knotdread
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to remember how I learned the game. I think I started with the 'overview' book that came with 1.0 after reading the rules a bit. It was a decent attempt at a playthrough but I stopped half way through and hit the forums for some clarifications.

I tried watching the videos but they put me to sleep. I ended up working my way through the 'Lucy' chain and I still use that to this day to teach others.

Apparently though, they're working on a 'patch' right now that is supposed to be an excellent step by step intro for new players or just a good story module that experienced players can use. It's designed to be for both types. It's supposed to fix the old story quests from 1.0. Should be coming out in their fourth quarter patch, so any day now I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Being taught is the best way. Watching the videos is a poor second. The manual is maybe 2.5 million'th.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.