Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Introducing Red7: The game and the app

Probably my most played game in the past year is Red7, an ingenious filler card game by Carl Chudyk (designer of Glory to Rome) and Chris Cieslik (Asmadi Games publisher).

Red7 caters 2-4 players and can literally be played in 5-10 minutes, although you certainly can play it multiple times with cumulative scoring if you wish. It hits just the right note of being relative straight forward and quick to play while at the same time allowing tense and interesting decisions, with mechanics and game-play that can best be described as "clever". I typically describe Red7 to first-time players as follows: "It is like reverse Uno for smart people - can you be the last person playing a card?" It is a light, quick, and clever game where the colours and numbers of Uno meet the changing win conditions of Fluxx.

Let's tell you a little about it, and also introduce the recently released app.

Components

Red7 consists of 49 cards, with cards numbered 1 through 7, in seven sets of colours: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.

The genius of the game is that each colour also corresponds to a win condition:
● Red = highest card
● Orange = most cards of one number
● Yellow = most cards of one colour
● Green = most even cards
● Blue = most cards of different colours
● Indigo = longest run of cards
● Violet = most cards below 4

Game-Play

Everyone starts with a hand of seven random cards, plus one face up in front of them (your Palette).

On your turn, you typically play one of your cards face-up in front of you to add it to your Palette. You can also discard a card from your hand to the central Canvas to change the game to the win condition corresponding to the colour of that card. At the end of your turn, you need to be the player that is winning according to the win condition dictated by the card currently on the Canvas, otherwise you are eliminated.

The idea is to be the last player standing. There's some more nuances to game-play, including ways to draw more cards and also some optional advanced rules, but the gist of the game is about making sure that you can play a card to your Palette, or to the Canvas to change the current win condition, or both, to make sure you are "winning" at the end of your turn, otherwise you're out.

The App

For someone who enjoys gaming on an iPad from time to time, it was welcome news that a Red7 app has recently been released by Silver Bullet Games (App Store, Google Play). Since its initial release the app has had several updates already, so it is regularly being improved.

The app is true to the card game, offering all the same rules variation and options. It includes a tutorial to help teach you the game, and complete rules. Three languages are available: English, Polish, and German.

It also features settings for four styles of gameplay just like the real game: Basic, Advanced, With Points, and With Actions. The AI can be set on three levels of difficulty, and you can play with any number of AI or human players.

Recommendation

I've seen some reports of some UI issues with the initial release of the app, but with the version I played (ver 1.1.2) there were no real noticeable problems, and everything worked smoothly and accurately, just like the real game. If you're coming from the card game, it will take some time to get used to slightly different colours, and the use of icons instead of full text, but it's easy enough to adjust to this. The app manages the handling of everything quite nicely without being clunky or complicated, and I was more than happy with the user interface, finding it comfortable enough to use, and quite intuitive.

Digital gaming continues to see many wonderful games make the transition to electronic versions, and Red7 is another fine addition to the many excellent titles available. Get the card game, or get the app, or get both - either way this clever filler offers a lot to enjoy in a small package.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
mb The complete list of Ender's pictorial reviews: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/37596

Subscribe to this list to be notified when new reviews are posted.

If you made it to the end of this review and found it helpful, please consider giving a thumbs up at the very top of the article, to let me know you were here, and to give others a better chance of seeing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Barrington
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There were some unfavorable early comments on the ios app. Is the app now improved such that those comments no longer apply?

Thanks for any updates on this,
Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
AndAgainMA wrote:
There were some unfavorable early comments on the ios app. Is the app now improved such that those comments no longer apply?

Thanks for any updates on this,
Andrew

The initial release had a couple very annoying bugs that have been fixed since. The simple act of dragging a card was broken -- that is no longer an issue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. UDO
United States
Chandler
AZ
flag msg tools
designer
badge
[This space intentionally left blank]
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the art going to be updated to match the physical game? The digital cards look like cheap prototype cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Cieslik
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Banana!
mbmbmbmbmb
The studio decided to use their own art. We're working on getting an option in to enable the actual card art, but we haven't had time to properly chop up all the production PDFs yet. The change was targeted at doing iconography instead of text for language independence.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ender Wiggins
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndAgainMA wrote:

As I wrote in my review: "I've seen some reports of some UI issues with the initial release of the app, but with the version I played (ver 1.1.2) there were no real noticeable problems, and everything worked smoothly and accurately, just like the real game."

I'd still like to see an option for making the card design match the one in the physical game, but apart from that I didn't experience any real issues with the UI.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Chipman
United States
Zephyrhills
Florida
flag msg tools
the android app appears to be country-restricted. i'm gathering it didn't always used to be that way. any idea why google play is saying it isn't available in the US?

edit: aaaaaand today it is no longer restricted. close enough... SHIP IT!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bullet
msg tools
We have changed our development team and for one day there was a problem with country restriction. It should work now. We are launching new version in couple of days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bullet
msg tools
We are working on that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Silver Bullet
msg tools
Happy Cyber Monday. Red7 is just 0.99$ http://red7.app.link/download

Added:
- additional messages to better indicate if you're winning or not
- new look of buttons during game
- cards under current rule are highlighted
Some minor bugfixes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just checked. $2.99 in App Store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.