Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Weiss
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got the game, very excited to try it out. As a former Middle School teacher here in Ontario who staged mock Riel trials in his Grade 7/8 classes, this was an insta-buy for me.

That being said, I'd love it if someone came up with an Automa-style deck so I could play it solo. I may give it a shot over winter break.

Keep up the great work, VPG!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
tiberiusdw wrote:
That being said, I'd love it if someone came up with an Automa-style deck so I could play it solo. I may give it a shot over winter break.

Me too . Please keep us posted, if you do create an Automa for the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Emrich
United States
Irvine
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is an Automa-style deck? I've not heard that name before.

Thanks,

Alan Emrich
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Alan Emrich wrote:
Please forgive my ignorance, but what is an Automa-style deck? I've not heard that name before.

Thanks,

Alan Emrich

Automa is the name I've used for bots I've created as part of my work for Stonemaier Games (Scythe, Viticulture, and Between Two Cities). They each consist of a ruleset and a deck of cards.

They're all made using a specific design approach that I've described in a series of blogpost: The Automa Approach I: A method for making solitaire modes for multiplayer games.

Since I published those posts other people have started creating bots using that approach and using the name Automa.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I should add that these bots are created to take the place of human players in a multiplayer game so that you can have more players than humans in the game. The main goal is to make multiplayer games solo playable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McLean
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since it's already card-driven, I'm not sure an Automa-style deck would be the best way to go about designing a solo bot. A flow-chart similar to the COIN series charts for each side would probably work better.

Just my $0.02

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Weiss
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gocamels wrote:
Since it's already card-driven, I'm not sure an Automa-style deck would be the best way to go about designing a solo bot. A flow-chart similar to the COIN series charts for each side would probably work better.

Just my $0.02

I love the COIN series, and use their flow-charts for solo play often. But they can be quite clunky, and I think for a game a small as Riel a flowchart system would have almost as many rules as the game itself, whereas an Automa-driven card system would be simpler.

Only ten more days (for me) til Winter Break, then I get down to business!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.