Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Please keep in mind this was off one play. But based on the one play I didn't feel like they are as underpowered as Ive heard they are.

I was able to use my workers ability to cross the river to eventually place a mech in the center area, produce a second mech and move them into the factory to secure that for my leader on a later turn. Then with the seafaring ability I only needed to retreat to an adjacent lake. On a later turn I retook the factory for good.

I ended up losing because I abandoned the factory to try and spread out more (dumb move). I lost by 1 point, but felt like the Nordics were not as helpless as I had heard.

Has anyone else experienced good fortune with them? Or was that a lucky game?

Also, they are my favorite mechs...love the spider-boats.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Seafaring ability is one of the best yet most often overlooked abilities in the game. You can use it to bait an enemy into spending lots of combat power to defend the factory while you spend none, fall back to the lake, and then roll him up on the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
The Seafaring ability is one of the best yet most often overlooked abilities in the game. You can use it to bait an enemy into spending lots of combat power to defend the factory while you spend none, fall back to the lake, and then roll him up on the next turn.

Yes exactly! It makes the Nordics relentless in a way. It gives an opponent 0-2 stars, which means you may not want to try that tactic vs Gunter, but it could be helpful in the long run.

I was just so surprised that based on all the negativity around them, I found their abilities to be very beneficial.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see them as under powered, people are just playing them incorrectly. Play to their strength, which is what you should do with any of the factions/action board combos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan S
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
dukane wrote:
Please keep in mind this was off one play. But based on the one play I didn't feel like they are as underpowered as Ive heard they are.

I was able to use my workers ability to cross the river to eventually place a mech in the center area, produce a second mech and move them into the factory to secure that for my leader on a later turn. Then with the seafaring ability I only needed to retreat to an adjacent lake. On a later turn I retook the factory for good.

I ended up losing because I abandoned the factory to try and spread out more (dumb move). I lost by 1 point, but felt like the Nordics were not as helpless as I had heard.

I never got the sense people were saying they were underpowered. What are you referencing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LiLNipsFatal wrote:
dukane wrote:

I never got the sense people were saying they were underpowered. What are you referencing?

Talking to people in one of my game groups, but also earlier this summer I thought I read some comments here that people thought the Nordics had the least probability of winning due to their previews weaker abilities.

I'll have to go back and look up specific examples, but I remember reading these things.

Also, a podcast (four corners maybe?) claimed the ability that allows workers to cross rivers was pointless since the first mech everyone deploys is the river walk ability. Therefore the Nordics special ability is only an advantage in the first few turns.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabrice Dubois
France
La Garenne Colombes
Hauts de Seine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Faction Discussion: Nordic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Stat
United Kingdom
Salisbury
Wilts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've won with the Nordics a couple of times, so I agree that they are not inherently under-powered, you just have to play them right. My strategy is described here: [blogpost=https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/58208/aar-27-september-20...], much better than I can do it.

And yes, they do have the best mechs
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Scholtanus
Netherlands
Beek (gem Montferland)
flag msg tools
The first few times I played them I didn't really like the Nordic Faction. But with a bit of luck, some help from my opponents and a useful objective for once, I managed to secure the victory with a non-combat based triple star placement in a single turn. Max Popularity, 4 Structures and 8 Workers (I think it was 8 workers).

I still vastly prefer Crimea because of the faction bonus, but my opinion of the Nords have gone up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had good games playing the Nords. IMHO the factions are pretty well balanced overall. The catch is that they each play differently & require different strategies. Some are more obvious than others (Rusviet whistle ) and those that are a bit harder to grok have had the underpowered label applied to them.

Like Brian, I really like Crimea. However, I've had good luck with the other factions--though Saxony is a bit tougher for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Although they have performed adequately in our games my group is rather concerned that in the long run they won't be able to keep up. Most of their recent wins were more due to bad playing by opponents rather than particularly good playing from them with their toolkit.

At first we thought that swimming was pretty good. It was originally sold as "Hey they can build their first mech outside their home. Isn't that cool?" Then as we got better and better other factions were able to get their first few mechs quickly too. All of a sudden that first mech wandering around the wilderness all alone basically became a easy combat star for factions like Saxony and even Polania who have abilities that can move them around the board really fast and unlike Russviet who can get their leader out, that lone mech cannot get encounters or combat cards forcing us to question why we even cared about having him outside in the first place. I mean who cares if you can get a mech outside when you're dealing with multiple opponents who can basically teleport from their home to various parts of the board looking for combat stars?

We also found that after swimming to the first village we found little to no more use for the ability. If the game was longer and the board bigger we'd probably find more use for swimming but with games ending as quickly as they do makes using a move to move a single worker once space even if it is across the river rarely significant since mechs and speed replace worker movements pretty quickly.

As a result the way the Nords have been playing recently is to take advantage of their access to all the terrain types to build up whichever category seems best while trying to avoid heavy conflict til they've built up some firepower but even this backfired on them. They were building up in the north west but due to being outside their home Polania decided that going after them and stealing their resources would be a great idea. This has happened more than once and to be clear this has happened in the early game while the Nords are trying to build up (Polania got good encounters).

I guess the best way to summarize our thoughts on swimming is that while it does give them access to parts of the board and territory quickly it's often very marginal as other factions can usually break out pretty quickly too and rather than giving them first dibs on stuff it just makes it more risky to get the stuff they want if they try to use it to set up camp outside. In the long run it just doesn't hold up for us.

Our Other Issue is with artillery. I've seen someone describe it as "only really useful in 2 player" and for the most part I agree. If your opponent has 8 or less power then of course it is also useful in combat but often in our games players have too much power to make artillery useful even when the nords have tried getting their firepower up quickly (Other factions just usually match them). Compared to Russviet, Crimea or Polania who's combat abilities give direct assistance in combat and/or saves/gains them resources, artillery is just really underwhelming. In 2 player you can take advantage of it with their ability to retreat to harass your opponent but tactics like that just don't work once another player is added into the mix.

The shining Jewel of their Toolkit is of course seaworthy. Being able to go into lakes AND retreat without being sent back home is great and has been a big factor in their game but that alone just does not make up for the issues we are beginning to see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure 'bout other combos, but I found that the Nordics match up very well with the Engineering mat. I won with that combo in 19 turns a couple of games ago...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Dewsbery
United Kingdom
Sutton Coldfield
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I kicked butt last night using the Nordic/Patriotic combo, despite being surrounded on both sides and with the Russviet able to move onto the NE peninsula way before I had any mechs. I sent everyone across the river, rushed to 8 workers, before folding back into my homeland for the mid game. I leapt out on the final turn, finishing with a winning fight and an objective card.

One of the easier factions to play IMO.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Ek
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Sorry, but you should not put your thoughts in writing on any faction after one play, period. This game is so deep and complex you probably shouldn't do it after 10 plays of one faction. I think on the forums every faction has been called the strongest and the weakest, which only attest to incredible balance of the game. Anyways, if everyone will start a thread after one game it will produce so much noise a new player like myself will never be able to find any useful information here. Please stop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ardagast wrote:
Sorry, but you should not put your thoughts in writing on any faction after one play, period. This game is so deep and complex you probably shouldn't do it after 10 plays of one faction.
Actually, I think it's fine to post after playing a single game.

It's just in the wrong forum section: It's something to post in 'Sessions', not in 'Strategy'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Zappala
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
I believe that a lot of the bias about blue is based on the win percentage on the stonemaier site.

I am a magic the gathering player, and one thing that I have discovered is that people tend to do a lot of group-think around statistics and make a lot of judgments. In our playgroup, blue is the most winning faction in 21 games. Here is the rundown:
wins/total games:
blue: 29%
red: 24%
yellow: 19%
white: 14%
black: 14%

These stats are skewed however because some factions just happen to be drawn more than others.

My personal win percentage while playing blue is 75% which I have player 6 times, but my win percent with yellow and red are both 0% from losing my first and only plays with these factions. Additionally, this seems to happen a lot with our group even though we deal the faction boards and action boards randomly. 40% of my total plays were with sucky black. And all of the top players in our league have won half of their games using a single color (none of which happen to be white or black, coincidentally).

My conclusion would be that white and black are not very good factions to play, but I resist casting a bias opinion... but I take that back, black sucks. I have played it 8 times and won twice, and I believe that those two wins were just because my missions and the other players play-styles those games allowed me to win. Against any savvy players, black will have a very hard time and will likely lose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ardagast wrote:
Sorry, but you should not put your thoughts in writing on any faction after one play, period. This game is so deep and complex you probably shouldn't do it after 10 plays of one faction. I think on the forums every faction has been called the strongest and the weakest, which only attest to incredible balance of the game. Anyways, if everyone will start a thread after one game it will produce so much noise a new player like myself will never be able to find any useful information here. Please stop.

Fair enough. I'll voice no opinions until I get a statistically significant number of plays in to voice an opinion so I can further the meaning of the internet.

Or, you can read my headline and think...after one play?! Pshh, no need to bother. I never hid that fact. And I never claimed one play was enough. But I do think first plays have an interesting place in our discussions. They are the starting point, they give our initial thoughts that sometimes turn into our only thoughts on things...they are the diving off point to which I found it worth noting that my initial play yielded much different results than I've heard others claim.

As always, I never profess to be correct...these are just observations.

Point taken about the sessions forum, that would have been more appropriate, my apologies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Denning
msg tools
He posted an opinion, and has been very civil and open-minded thus far. I think it's fine.

I'll be honest, the swimming thing isn't SUPER great, imo, but it does give you access to ALL 5 resource hexes right off the bat, which is really nice. Nordic can get whatever they want, easily. Also having 2 villages lets you get that production running nice and early, with easy access to villages no matter which direction you go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.