Popular Tags: [View All]
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
When setting up your deck using the deck building rules, you are instructed to draw a random basic weakness and add it to your deck. When drawing the card, are you supposed to know which card got added or do you not realize what it is until you have drawn it during the game (or looked at your deck after completing the first scenario and spending experience points)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Grim Rule would say don't look.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You are allowed to know what your random Basic Weakness is, although it seems like a common new house rule for many groups is to keep it secret.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grudunza wrote:
Grim Rule would say don't look.

Grim Rule doesn't apply if the rule is in there somewhere or if the designer has clarified or ruled. I wasn't confident enough to say that neither of those instances has occurred.

Gaffa wrote:
You are allowed to know what your random Basic Weakness is, although it seems like a common new house rule for many groups is to keep it secret.

Do you have a source?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
jayelbird wrote:
Do you have a source?

Talking to the designers at Arkham Nights (plus followup answers Matt Newman's given on various sites since then). You're always allowed to know the contents of your own deck, so you can definitely look at the Basic Weakness you are dealt. Newman has said that he house rules it so it's a surprise, but by the book, you know what Basic Weakness you got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Martin
msg tools
mb
I prefer not to know what my basic weakness is at the start, but as soon as I draw it for the first time I'm going to know what it is for the rest of the campaign. Of course knowing in advance or waiting to find out makes no difference on its impact when it's drawn for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruno Wolff
msg tools
emart40x wrote:
I prefer not to know what my basic weakness is at the start, but as soon as I draw it for the first time I'm going to know what it is for the rest of the campaign. Of course knowing in advance or waiting to find out makes no difference on its impact when it's drawn for the first time.

Sure it does. You can take actions to mitigate the effect of a weakness for when you draw it. This is easier to do if you know the weakness you have, rather than just a range of possible weaknesses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard A. Edwards
United States
Lacey
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It is interesting that the Rules Reference does state "Each required random basic weakness is added to a player’s deck at the end of the deckbuilding process."

So even if folks decide to look at it before playing the first time, we cannot look at it before or during deck construction and adjust our card choices accordingly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Cook
United States
Denton
Texas
flag msg tools
*beep*
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you aren't going to look at your basic weakness before the game starts, you should probably wait to shuffle it in after you have your opening hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quoting the designer's tweet for a source for David's assertion:

https://twitter.com/NatsunoYoru/status/797118245396475905
Quote:
@InfinitNutshell @FFGames You don't have to keep it a secret... but it is pretty fun if you choose to. =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.