Subject: DoW and RC ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MICHAEL MCGUIRE
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As far as game mechanics go, is Dead of Winter comparable to Robinson Crusoe? Is it similar as far as trying to stay alive, collecting things, completing scenarios, etc?
Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Manore
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
Warlord beats Troll, Troll beats Elf, Elf beats Water Sprite, and basically everything else beats Enchanted Bunny.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dead of Winter and Robinson Crusie are nothing alike in my opinion. Both games share dice rolling, variable player powers, and co-operative play mechanisms as categorized by BGG. DoW and RC come across to me as having completely different feels when I sit down to play them. DoW has a hidden traitor, secret agendas, and voting even though it is Co-op, while RC has none of that. In my opinion, I would not put these two games as being remotely similar, but YMMV. I'd be interested to hear what other folks that have played both games say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will say they share some stuff.

First of, Dead if Winter has the different objectives which is clearly very different.

They share that you have a scenario with some story read in the beginning. The scenarios can be quite different but at their base level involve collecting certain ressources within a certain number of rounds. You collect these by going places to have random encounters which may also give some story.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are theoretically similar. I mean they share some aspects like:
- scenario based
- cooperative (semi-cooperative in case of DoW)
- survival theme
- exploration aspect (strong in RC, small one in DoW)
- events "that tell stories"
but actual gameplay feels absolutely different.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher
United States
Allentown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hey, buddy, can you spare a role?
badge
I jotted it down in my Risk campaign book. I always used to do that so I could replay my moments of glory over a glass of brandy in the sleeping quarters.
mbmbmbmb
... You can actually win in Dead of Winter. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aleksander Idziak
Poland
Warsaw
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lhowser wrote:
... You can actually win in Dead of Winter. whistle

That's probably true
Although my experiences are two games of DoW, both with everybody loosing - traitor manage to stop the victory of others but didn't manage to meet his other goals. In RC I've won every official scenario at least once. But to be fair I've played it many more times than DoW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Aristides
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RC plays equally well solo and with 2-4 players.

DoW I'd say you need 3-4 players, unless you are playing pure co-op without a traitor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.