Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick Williams
United States
Allendale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
Hi Guys,
Just thought I would share some pics with you. I probably spent way too much time on these trying to get them to look as good as some of the other pics out there on the net. Let me know what you think. Enjoy!

You can't see very well from the pics but there is crackle paint over lava underneath each foot of the gray Golem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Really a fantastic paint job. I'm very impressed. How did you get the bases to look like dried lava?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Gorgeous! Especially that master golem. I hope you have that on display somewhere and not hidden in a game box!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Herwig Riedl
Austria
Graz
flag msg tools
roll the hard six
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
well done!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Octopus
msg tools
Looks awesome! What kind of finish are you using? Just starting out painting my minis and I see a ton of conflicting info.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Williams
United States
Allendale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
To get the dried lava effect I did the following.
1. Painted the base black.
2. Painted lava around the feet (orange, red, yellow).
3. Painted the base with Folk Art Crackle Medium. This is a thin clear layer that assists with the crackling process and helps adhere the crackle paint to the base.
4. Mixed black paint with Deco Art Media Crackle Paint (White) to get the color I wanted. Then I painted the entire base with the mixed crackle paint. I had to move quickly here because the crackling process begins within 10 - 30 seconds however it should be left to dry overnight.
5. Once dry, I dry brushed the base with increasingly lighter grays until it looked like cooled lava or the coals of a wood fire.

That's pretty much it. Here is a picture of the mini before step #3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Williams
United States
Allendale
Michigan
flag msg tools
mb
When I'm done painting I spray the mini with a Matte Finish. I think mine is Krylon Matte Finish. Be very careful doing this and use short bursts of spray. Otherwise you may coat the mini with too much and clouding of your colors (especially metallic colors) will occur. Additionally you may get too glossy of a finish.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those golems look awesome. I haven't gotten around to painting mine yet, but hopefully they will turn out half as well as yours did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Egghead Hobbies
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Your Golems look fantastic! I'm excited to get a video done for them in my Descent painting series. Yours are definitely some of the better ones I've seen when doing my research. Keep up the great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rivsung
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great job. I quite like the bases. I'm just getting started with mini painting, (mostly still buying stuff) but I'll be happy if they come out 1/2 as nice as yours.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.