tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Though he does not have his own podcast...Mark Herman is the most prolific wargame podcaster. Dude is on everything. Says a lot about how interesting and generous of a guy he must be.

Keep it up Mark...and the rest of the podcasters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Mitchell
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
I don't know what you have to say, it makes no difference anyway: whatever it is, I'm against it!
mbmbmbmbmb
gamesontables wrote:
Though he does not have his own podcast...Mark Herman is the most prolific wargame podcaster. Dude is on everything. Says a lot about how interesting and generous of a guy he must be.

Indeed! If you've ever played a social deduction game with him, you know that he gives away everything!

But seriously, the Ludology podcast is one of the great boardgame podcasts out there. And having worked with Mark and having counted him as a friend for a few years now, there is a lot of good insight into his way of designing games. The guy has seen, heard, and experienced things that most consimmers only dream of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victorius Deplorable
United States
Kinston
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This spot reserved for Judd Vance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johnny Wilson
United States
Wilmette
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Having read Wargaming for Leaders, I was intrigued to hear him talk about how he recruited the "competitor" teams for the business simulations and a little more about how they measured the results.

It was also delightful to hear him credit others for helping him create the card mechanic of We the People and share how the CDG mechanic evolved from game design to game design.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I could listen to Mark Herman all day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Conn
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any remarkable quotes or news from it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benny Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
recon28501 wrote:
This spot reserved for Judd Vance.

thumbs up.

I think Mark is a great designer, but I didn't like Churchill solo and I still have to learn his Pacific game. These days I like simpler systems.

Looking back his games I liked most were France 1944: The Allied Crusade in Europe and The Great Battles of Alexander

I think the problem these days is that the big names in wargaming all go just a little too deep in complexity. Berg, Volko even my favorite John Butterfield (Enemy Action: Ardennes) all went a little overboard in their career sometimes.

There is a reason The Russian Campaign: Designer Signature Edition got 820+ pre orders in 2 months time and Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! (second edition) with its solo expansion got critical acclaim recently.

Everyone has his/her own upper limit to learn heavy rules of course but mine is certainly not growing anymore now that I turned 60.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United Kingdom
Sheffield
South Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Talonz wrote:
Any remarkable quotes or news from it?

News - no.

Otherwise, the stuff about professional and military wargames is very interesting indeed. Anecdote City, population 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.