GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,298 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
17 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
6 Posts

Unfair» Forums » Variants

Subject: Anybody tried using 3 decks in a 2 player game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bobby Clark
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Deana and I have played using 3 decks in 2 player games to vary the choices but more importantly we have found that only using 2 decks by the last round we have a very small number of Park cards left in the draw. Even blueprints can be in short supply in some games.

Anybody else tried this? Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Finch
Australia
Carindale
QLD
flag msg tools
designer
badge
My hat? Definitely not a mind-control alien, no.
mbmbmbmbmb
You must be building pretty hard to nearly exhaust the Park deck!

I think 3 decks with 2 players will work quite well. We've done this on occasion when demoing the game, when it was already set up for 3 and only 2 wanted to play at that moment.

One aspect that you might notice is the availability of some park items is affected - there will be less competition for a larger number of attractions and upgrades, for example, and you may find that with fewer people building from the Park deck, it takes longer to cycle through the cards than normal. This will likely have the effect of making the easy blueprints easier, and the hard ones harder.

Overall, I wouldn't expect any major problems in playing that way though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erick Sklar
United States
Toms River
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes. With 2 players I also found the psrk deck a bit thin. Another deck would definitely help the variety. Even 4 decks woukdnt be a problem. In my first play at the suggested setup for 2 players , Robot and Pirate, I could only count 2 food outlet cards between the 2 decks. And I needed just one of those to complete a blue print. My opponent had both.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Clark
United States
Frisco
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We seem to run through the cards and by the last round with only 2 decks the options are pretty slim. Adding a third deck makes for more choices and leaves more unknowns for your opponent to wonder what your up to. I can see playing a lot that you will be able to know what blueprint your opponent has since you have seen the discards and what you have. Not much mystery in 2 deck games, but we still like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Brebach
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Gralem wrote:
Yes. With 2 players I also found the psrk deck a bit thin. Another deck would definitely help the variety. Even 4 decks woukdnt be a problem. In my first play at the suggested setup for 2 players , Robot and Pirate, I could only count 2 food outlet cards between the 2 decks. And I needed just one of those to complete a blue print. My opponent had both.

The relative availability of certain card types in the card pool is reflected in Blueprint reward points. So this is by design. Ie before taking a Blueprint on, it pays to be aware of what is already out on the table or available to you when making a risk assessment about whether to take on that Blueprint or not. Food outlets, Theaters and Sideshows are typically 1 per theme pack.

But it certainly doesn't break the game to play with an extra theme. Makes it potentially easier to meet all the requirements, but will take longer to find them because the deck is bigger but there are fewer people churning it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JiJi D
United States
Puyallup
Wa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My first few 2-player games had the park deck and bluprints running thin and then we realised we were playing the rounds wrong. We essentially were each taking 9-12 actions instead of just three. We didn't realise we had to advance the marker each time we performed one of our three actions and instead moved it when we each had performed three. Since correcting that, we haven't had deck thinning problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.