Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

Evolution: Climate» Forums » General

Subject: Switching Climate to Flight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
(aka using the Flight expansion if you have the Climate Standalone game or the Evolution Base Game with the Climate upgrade pack)

I think I've seen all of this information in bits and pieces around the forum, but can I confirm this?

Flight should not be added to a Climate set
If you have Climate (or set upgraded to Climate) you should downgrade to "Evolution Base" before adding Flight

I gather the temporary downgrade process involves removing 48 specific cards and ignoring other details:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1923120194/evolution-cl...

(I gather the promised version of those instructions "with graphics" didn't materialise on BGG?)
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
"You can get an amazing gaming experience by using the Avian Species boards, the accompanying cardboard Flight trait, and the Cliff (everything from the Flight expansion except the trait cards) when playing CLIMATE. There won't be any dilution of the card mix since you're not adding trait cards, but the interplay between the constant food of the Cliff and the fluctuating food of the climate track Watering Hole creates a wonderful dynamic. Enjoy!"
4 
 Thumb up
0.25
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Clevidence
United States
Woodburn
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:
(aka using the Flight expansion if you have the Climate Standalone game or the Evolution Base Game with the Climate upgrade pack)

I think I've seen all of this information in bits and pieces around the forum, but can I confirm this?

Flight should not be added to a Climate set
If you have Climate (or set upgraded to Climate) you should downgrade to "Evolution Base" before adding Flight

I gather the temporary downgrade process involves removing 48 specific cards and ignoring other details:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1923120194/evolution-cl...

(I gather the promised version of those instructions "with graphics" didn't materialise on BGG?)


A preliminary version of the instructions were sent to Kickstarter backers. Presumably they'll be added to BGG after they've been revised.

The flight section currently refers readers to the 10 Feb. Kickstarter update and summarizes by saying that you use everything except the Flight trait cards.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
steven smolders
Belgium
Heist-op-den-Berg
Antwerpen
flag msg tools
badge
Love to play boardgames with my family and spending time toghter
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
You could add in flight but not all the trait cards from flight.
You can use the clif and the flight boards and add them to climate but not the cards for it.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rainbow Snake wrote:
Flight should not be added to a Climate set

True.
Rainbow Snake wrote:
If you have Climate (or set upgraded to Climate) you should downgrade to "Evolution Base" before adding Flight

I wouldn't call it downgrading, but you need to remove the Flight cards from your set to play Climate.

Rainbow Snake wrote:
I gather the temporary downgrade process involves removing 48 specific cards and ignoring other details:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1923120194/evolution-cl...

I don't remember how many cards it is, but you need to remove all of the Flight cards if your current deck is set up to play Flight.


Rainbow Snake wrote:
(I gather the promised version of those instructions "with graphics" didn't materialise on BGG?)

We will post everything on a Kickstarter update first. Then we will post the materials on our website and the BGG.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops I missed that there was just a Kickstarter update about this since I was part of a group kickstarter, not subscribed directly myself, so I don't receive any emails or updates.

domcrap wrote:
Rainbow Snake wrote:
Flight should not be added to a Climate set

True.
Rainbow Snake wrote:
If you have Climate (or set upgraded to Climate) you should downgrade to "Evolution Base" before adding Flight

I wouldn't call it downgrading, but you need to remove the Flight cards from your set to play Climate.

And vice-versa right? I'm talking about having Climate set up by standard and occasionally wanting to use the FULL flight set.

I'm calling it a "downgrade" to convert from Climate to Evolution-Base.
I could call it a "deconversion" since I have the base Evolution with the Climate conversion kit :-)

domcrap wrote:
Rainbow Snake wrote:
I gather the temporary downgrade process involves removing 48 specific cards and ignoring other details:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1923120194/evolution-cl...

I don't remember how many cards it is, but you need to remove all of the Flight cards if your current deck is set up to play Flight.

I'm talking about going from Climate -> Flight ... so you need to remove 6 (x7) trait cards that were Climate only, and 6 Climate only Carnivore cards... before shuffling in the flight cards.

domcrap wrote:
Rainbow Snake wrote:
(I gather the promised version of those instructions "with graphics" didn't materialise on BGG?)

We will post everything on a Kickstarter update first. Then we will post the materials on our website and the BGG.


Okay cool, just noticed it said something about being by the end of the campaign, so I wondered if it was still planned. Either way is fine, you're doing a great job.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Since I haven't played Flight yet, only just noticed that when you take out the Climate cards and add the Flight cards, you're swapping out 6 carnivore cards to add in 6 carnivore cards!

They have different food values though:

Climate carnivores: 1, 2, 2, 3, 3, 4
Flight carnivores: -4, -3, -2, -1, 7, 8
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert O'Hearne
United States
Ayer
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a significant difference. When you're playing a Carnivore, you often want to starve the Watering Hole.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
elcoderdude wrote:
That's a significant difference. When you're playing a Carnivore, you often want to starve the Watering Hole.
When you're playing a Carnivore, the numbers on the Carnivore card don't matter, either
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
runtsta wrote:
elcoderdude wrote:
That's a significant difference. When you're playing a Carnivore, you often want to starve the Watering Hole.
When you're playing a Carnivore, the numbers on the Carnivore card don't matter, either


Unless of course you decide to use the carnivore card as your vote on food
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.