Subject: How aggressive do you have to be to get your games played? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you not say anything and your game group will ask what you want to be played?

Is it more of a "battle", and you need to set up the game on the table, without even asking others first if they want to play that game or not, and "guilt them" into playing?

If a game is already set up and you don't want to play, will you speak up and suggest something else get played? If not, will you do so if there's a united front?

do you rack up "waiting to play points" and cash them in after a threshold has been met? Fun story... some guy who didn't get any of his games played for almost a year used that as his chance to push Agricola on his group that's roughly between "nongamer" and "gamer" territory. A 3.5 to 4 hour game was about 2 hours overtime what they usually handle, but he didn't care. He suffered through the other games long enough and was cashing in. Amusingly enough, they enjoyed it! wowlaugh

EDIT: clarifications
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
bort
Australia
Brisbane
Qld
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I'd be looking for a new group if I didnt get any of my games played for a year.

I am aggressive as I need to be.

But the people I play with are usually pretty keen on new games, so getting a game on the table the first time isnt usually a big deal. After that, well - it can vary....

And yeah, sometimes you just have to put the game on the table and start setting up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
As the host, I on most occasions defer to what the others are more likely to enjoy playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete
United States
Northbrook
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't give them choices.

Pete (rules with a cardboard fist)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael J
United States
Folsom
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We use a pick system that ensures that everyone gets their games played. This system has helped our group tremendously. Rather than arguing over picks or trying to get others to choose YOUR game, now each player in our group picks a game and that's what gets played, no questions asked. We each respect each other's game preferences, and are all good sports about playing each other's games, period. Want to try a new filler no one has ever heard of? Done. Want to try a 3 hour brain burner? Done. No questions asked.

What makes this system work is that longer games cost more points. Teaching a new game costs more points. In the end, each person in our group commands the same table-time for their games as each other person. Players can choose how to divide up their table-time, with longer or shorter games, fillers, new games, old games, or even play testing games, and it all works out.

The system is this:

Players earn 2 points per week they show up at game night.

Points are tracked for 7 weeks, with points earned dropping off after 7 weeks. Therefore, a player has a maximum number of 14 points in their pool at any one time.

The order of picks for a game session is determined by the players with the most points REMAINING. Most points picks first. Fewest points picks last. Tie-breaker is based on who hasn't picked a game the longest.

Games cost 1pt per 75m:

< 75m, 1pt
75m - 150m, 2pts
150m - 225m, 3pts
> 225, 4pts

A player's remaining points is equal to: Points earned - Points Spent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games are expensive. I tend to buy more games than most people in my three gaming groups, so my games tend to hit the table pretty frequently.

In one group, I bring three games every week and usually one gets played (the other game or two is me purposely choosing to play something someone else brought).

In my second group, we play my games almost 100% of the time as it is my wife and I with another couple and they hardly ever buy/bring their own games.

In my third group, we play one game that the other couple brings and then finish the night with one of my games. It's always 50/50.

My wife loves to play games, but doesn't love to research them so I'm the one who always picks and purchases our family titles. Lucky me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Mansfield
United States
Poway
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
do you rack up "waiting to play points" and cash them in after a threshold has been met?

Yep. This is what I'll do with some of the more serious gamers I know. I'll play several times from their collections (the games are usually good, so I have no complaints), and sometimes we have a little overlap and start talking about games we both want to play, so we set up a session for that specific game. For a game that's only my collection, I'll drop some hints such as, "I think you'll like [Game A], it's like [Game B] but with a few twists and a different theme."

For more casual gamers, I tend to bring 3-4 games to a get-together and describe each one in turn before letting others decide, but they are almost always games that I want to play specifically with those people (i.e., not overly complex games that I can teach easily and which I know will be fun for them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cool User
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Group A is a large group with more than a hundred games brought to each session. I never bring games anymore because I know they will never get played. It doesn't help that I never have the newest, hottest game -- those seem to be the ones that are always on the table. The group is big enough with such varied attendance that I also hardly ever play with the same people more than once or twice a year, so there's no way to build up "credit."

Group B is just a couple of friends. I'm afraid I'm the crack dealer game pusher in this group. Sometimes I worry that I force too many new-to-me games here, but they are great about it and never complain, even when I express my doubts about bringing yet another new game.

I find that guilting someone into playing only makes it a bad experience for everyone, so I try never to do it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Our group is only once a month, and the number of people varies from 4-10, out of a pool of about 20 people. Two of us own a ton of games, and a couple of people own a handful.

The two of us who own the games decide ahead of time on one main game, which we announce through email a week or so before game night. Anyone who wants to play that game can chime in and claim a spot. Everyone who's left (assuming there are too many people for that first game), then has a discussion about what they'd like to play. We usually defer to whoever hasn't picked the longest.

It's rare that there is a conflict, but when there is, we'll give preference to the people who show up regularly. Someone who only shows up once a year isn't going to get to choose, although they are welcome to make suggestions, and the group may decide to go with that.

I always push playing one of my games because I know that I'm able to teach them fairly well to a new player (some of our members are terrible at teaching rules), and because I have a lot of games. Many of them are not good with just 2 players, so if I don't get them to the table at the monthly game night, it's likely they won't get played. This really only works because most of the people who attend own between 0-5 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Williams

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
mbmbmb
Our meetup group had an event every other Friday that allowed any old game that people wanted to bring, so lots of people brought in their games and there was no guarantee what you might get to the table. But basically, anyone who had a game would give a brief sales pitch for what they'd brought, and people would break out based on what they wanted to play. On the whole that works pretty well, but people tend to flee from games that look like dirt or which have a long play time, so those games would tend to find no particular audience.

I've now started a second event on alternate Fridays, where each event has a theme. With most people having a fairly small library of games, it's harder for people to bring a big pile of games, or even any games at all (in some cases), unless they have something appropriate for the theme. On the one hand, this means that I always end up getting one of my own games in, because I always have a thematically appropriate set of games to bring. But, on the other hand, this means that I keep needing to buy new games so that I can cover every possible game night theme! cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Stephen
Scotland
Dundee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the groups I'm in meets once a month. While all players in the group (5 of us) own games now, that wasn't always the case.

When we started it was myself that had the most (still do) and 1 other player had a few.

Initially it started out I would bring along a game or two and the other player who owned some would sometimes bring one. When then decided on the night what we were playing, or tried to fit in a game of everything brought along.

Over time as collections grew, it was still myself that was often the main decision maker on games brought along, which I often thought unfair, but nobody would speak up when asked so perhaps they didn't care.

Either way I suggested a 'solution': At the end of a session we pick (randomly) the name of who decides for next session. Once you've had a month of picking, your name comes out of the 'hat'. Thus over every 5 months block, we all get one month where we pick the main game(s).

As for who's games hit the table, it's often mine as I have the most, but we have a list of all games owned by everybody, so if somebody's game never sees the table, they have the chance to do something about it once every 5 months at least.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Ips
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Usually not at all, then again I of course have the best taste in games according to my own opinion

In all seriousness, it's usually not that hard as I tend to have somewhat overlapping taste in games with the folks I play with. For the rest we usually just go tit for tat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

We always decide what to play a couple of days before the gaming night, nearly always only one game. A couple of people pitch the games they would like to play, and everybody votes and/or vetoes. Vetoes are final, votes for remaining games are tallied, and that's it!

The rationale is that everybody should have fun, and there are plenty of games to be enjoyed. Of course this is also why there are some games that I never get to play in my gaming group, but usually I can try them at a meetup, convention, whatever.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L S
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're working under a reciprocal non-aggression treaty.

My friends let me choose which games we play.
In turn, I don't choose games that they don't enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will

Pensacola
Florida
msg tools
The Babylon Project was our last best hope for peace. It failed. In the year of the Shadow War, it became something greater, our last best hope for victory.
mbmbmbmbmb
It depends on who I am playing with. There are some who are pretty much up for anything, others who refuse to try new games & just keep wanting to play the same few, and others who are eclectic and indecisive, asking about a game they haven't seen me bring for a long time so that I bring it the following week and then not being in the mood for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
When I'm down for playing anything I'll message my friends something like this: "Hey, do you want to play games on Tuesday?"

When there's a game that I really want to play I'll message them like this: "Hey, do you want to play (insert name of game) on Tuesday."

When we don't go in with a plan it's usually a democracy. When we can't reach an agreement it comes down to rock, paper, scissors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
I left my game group because of that. No one would ever play my card games and I could care less for any of their games. We simply didn't belong together anymore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Usually more aggressive than I am.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus Hagenauer jr.
Germany
Surheim
Germany
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From time to time some player tells me I´d love to play xy again. And usually I try fullfil this wish.

But most times I pick some games (or just one ) I´d suggest to play and let them choose among those.

So basically I can bring to the table whatever I want as long as the player count fits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe H
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not hard at all. We usually have between 8-12 people show up to play games. I usually bring a clear bin of 6-7 games (with diversity of mechanisms and themes and weight) which I'd like to play or others have asked me to bring. This is more than anyone else.

I never immediately suggest a game from my bin but after a few minutes of "I don't know, what do you want to play?" I might pull one out.

I will also often push someone who hasn't been able to make our game group in a while (or who showed up late and missed the first round of games) to choose.

But, with the exception of a coupe of card games, I'm usually keen to play whatever someone suggests and often pull something out of another bag.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris SC

Madison
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I tend to prefer lighter fare than most of my group (I'm in the BGG weight 1.75-2.75, they skew more towards 3+), so it can be challenging to get some games to the table. For that group, I'll usually bring my heavier games or very short light ones and push for that while we're just sitting around. Either way, I bring ~3 games each time and would say I play 1 of those every other time.

When I want to play a lighter game, I'll bring that to other events I go to . We may or may not bust out a board game, but I know I'm prepared.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why not take turns choosing the games to be played? Then everybody is happy.

I don't have a regular group except for my husband and myself, and my husband is the most agreeable guy in the world (sometimes frustratingly so laugh) so he plays whatever I want to play. I asked him the other night why he can't be more opinionated about petty things like games and less opinionated about things that really have the power to upset me. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm not aggressive at all.. I enjoy gaming because of the people and the gameplay itself. It doesn't matter at all who owns the game.

My wife and I had our gaming group over to our house to play last night.. And even though I have a few games (Blood Rage & Lords of Xidit) which are NIS and I haven't played yet, I had a craving to play Dominant Species and Grifters. So I asked my friend to bring her copies of those games. We played both of them, and another game she just bought and wanted to try. We talked about trying Blood rage, but never got around to playing it. It doesn't matter, we still had a good time.

I don't see why game ownership even comes into play (pardon the pun) when choosing a game. So, I'm not sure why anyone would be "aggressive" about playing their own games. My group just plays whatever someone suggests and everyone agrees too.. it hasn't ever been a problem...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten D. de Jong
Netherlands
Zaandam
flag msg tools
badge
Quote:
How aggressive do you have to be to get your games played?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cheb
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer to be "assertive" rather than "aggressive"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.