Subject: Chess960: First Imprssions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Pugh
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mb
I learned of this chess variant years ago but the other day I finally gave it a try. For those unfamiliar with this chess variant I suggest reading the Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_960

First, a little about myself and my opponent. I am an enthusiastic but mediocre amateur chess player. I have no official rating but if I were to estimate my rating I imagine it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1400 or 1600 based on my experience with the 10th Ed. Chess Master software. My opponent was a casual acquaintance who knew how to play chess but had clearly never studied the game seriously. He was at a loss as to what to do during the opening so I proposed that we try chess960; that way we would at least be in the same boat.

Our game was quick, casual and untimed but nevertheless lively. The randomized setup resulted in positions that analytically challenging. I highly engaged though I do not believe we were any more evenly matched than we would have been in a standard game of chess.

In chess960 it would seem that one is completely unable to rely on prior knowledge of opening lines. However, from my one experience it appeared to me that knowledge of the principles which underlie hypermodern chess openings would be invaluable to a player of chess960.

I would highly recommend this chess variant to anyone who would be interested in playing chess occasionally but is not interested in studying openings extensively. I would also recommend this variant to amateur chess players who are not particularly well versed in opening lines but are interested in casual play.

For the moment, chess960 is a game that has peaked my interest. I encourage anyone who knows how to play chess to try chess960; I found the experience very rewarding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McKinney
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wish this chess variant would become the standard for playing chess in general. Memorizing openings was to me not a very enjoyable part of trying to improve my chess skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r r
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actualy, opening books for Fischer Random are being developed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Betty Dingus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Paul!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Bush
United States
Radiant
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
auspal wrote:
I wish this chess variant would become the standard for playing chess in general. Memorizing openings was to me not a very enjoyable part of trying to improve my chess skills.

Be careful what you wish for. If 960 ever does become more popular than standard chess, opening memorization would not go away. It would be multiplied by 480 more or less.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
twixter wrote:
Be careful what you wish for. If 960 ever does become more popular than standard chess, opening memorization would not go away. It would be multiplied by 480 more or less.

So true ! Chess players can be amazing gluttons for punishment.

What Chess 960 does do: It injects some novelty into the ancient game, so if chess is feeling less than fresh for you, give this variant a try.

Personally, I don't think standard chess will ever feel tired for me, but then I'm no Kosteniuk (or Capablanca, who invented his own chess variant because he did think chess was tired).

Still, 960 is fun and forces you to think in new ways, especially in the opening and early middle game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Khoury
United States
White Oak
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UrchinStar47 wrote:

BOO!

I quit chess after watching two guys in high school that always brought chess magazines/books to class and argued openings and moves all the time. I had crushed both of them in middle school at one point or another. I played them in high school and was completely undressed. I decided it wasn't worth the effort to keep up with the geekses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alberto giusti
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Be careful what you wish for. If 960 ever does become more popular than standard chess, opening memorization would not go away. It would be multiplied by 480 more or less.[/q]

In Shuuro this problem doesn't happen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Bracey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools

Shuuro is hardly a good comparison as the game would be even worse for army building strategy (of course, actually its really dull because the best armies are the least interesting to play).

Robert

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alberto giusti
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chess Masters don't think so.... Do you have ELO Points? How many?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alberto giusti
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.riverhorse.eu/shuuro-reviews.htm
http://www.riverhorse.eu/adolivio-capece-shuuro

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Müller
Germany
flag msg tools
Opening memorization would completely disappear in Chess960.
You would have to remember moves in every one of the 960 positions which is impossible or you would do this for one particular position but there's only a 0.1% chance that it will appear in the actual game.

The only area where opening books will get multiplied by 960 is computer chess but that's not the case for humans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sisyphus1563 wrote:
I learned of this chess variant years ago but the other day I finally gave it a try. For those unfamiliar with this chess variant I suggest reading the Wikipedia entry: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chess_960

First, a little about myself and my opponent. I am an enthusiastic but mediocre amateur chess player. I have no official rating but if I were to estimate my rating I imagine it would be somewhere in the neighborhood of 1400 or 1600 based on my experience with the 10th Ed. Chess Master software. My opponent was a casual acquaintance who knew how to play chess but had clearly never studied the game seriously. He was at a loss as to what to do during the opening so I proposed that we try chess960; that way we would at least be in the same boat.

Our game was quick, casual and untimed but nevertheless lively. The randomized setup resulted in positions that analytically challenging. I highly engaged though I do not believe we were any more evenly matched than we would have been in a standard game of chess.

In chess960 it would seem that one is completely unable to rely on prior knowledge of opening lines. However, from my one experience it appeared to me that knowledge of the principles which underlie hypermodern chess openings would be invaluable to a player of chess960.

I would highly recommend this chess variant to anyone who would be interested in playing chess occasionally but is not interested in studying openings extensively. I would also recommend this variant to amateur chess players who are not particularly well versed in opening lines but are interested in casual play.

For the moment, chess960 is a game that has peaked my interest. I encourage anyone who knows how to play chess to try chess960; I found the experience very rewarding.

Perhaps post the starting position and the game score?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Providence
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JVKhoury wrote:
UrchinStar47 wrote:

BOO!

I quit chess after watching two guys in high school that always brought chess magazines/books to class and argued openings and moves all the time. I had crushed both of them in middle school at one point or another. I played them in high school and was completely undressed. I decided it wasn't worth the effort to keep up with the geekses.

FYI: Openings are the absolute last thing you should be studying, and hardly ever prior to reaching a rating of 2000 or so. It's just not worth the bang for the buck. Better time spent delving into strategic considerations, middlegame play, pawn structures, and endgame play. Leave opening theory for the masters...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago M
Argentina
flag msg tools
I think that Chess 960 only removes the time advantage that players who memorize openings may have. It DOES NOT, however, exempts players from learning and applying the PRINCIPLES OF CHESS OPENINGS (control of the center; quick development of the pieces; king safety; and the like) to each starting position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.