GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,822 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
15 Days Left

Support:

Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Grimslingers» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few clunky things to clarify in the Co-op mode rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Leo Brooks
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Steve.

It's your favourite pest with annoying questions again.

We played our first campaign/co-op mode game the other day with 4 folks, all of whom have played the VS version of the game more than once. We tried Normal difficulty. The first chapter was slow, kind of clunky, but the second chapter went smoother.

Here are 8 questions that came up to which, even with a thorough reading of the rules we couldn't decide on answers. Your wisdom is required, o great creator!

1. Hand Size - As you discard or even deactivate cards are they considered in your hand for your max hand size? The question came up as we continued to acquire items. Can they go into your hand up to your max even if there is cards in the discard pile? It would seem to me that they should go to the stash. Clarification? Just adding and adding to your hand as you gain items seems too over-powered for us.

2. At Jezebel Bridge how does the DNC actually work? Do you draw a card, resolve it, then the next person draws a card, resolves it until everyone has either fallen off or crossed? If this is the case, in a four player game if the deck is not shuffled between players, only 2 can successfully cross, which maybe is cool. Or do you draw a card and continue drawing until you resolve, then pass the deck along? Or do you add all the cards back and shuffle the deck between players?

3. Do not discard items (particularly the bullwhip) seem kind of Over Powered. Can you really use them over and over in each round of attack?

4. As soon as you kill a creature based on card resolution number, is it dead, or does it get to finish the round and deal damage if it's skill resolves after you knock it's hit points to zero?

5. I died (was defeated) in an unusual way at one of the landmarks with a dynamite card. Do I just resolve that and come back to life right away? Is that different than dying in a battle? Any good way to track who has been defeated x number of time? (i.e dice with pips showing?)

6. When starting another chapter immediately after completing the first one, do all spell cards in the discard pile go back to your hand? Or do they stay spent to offset the fact that you keep your level and reset HP and EP?

7. When moving on the map and reading through the story book, which resolves first? i.e. Story book prerequisite says you have to be at such and such a landmark (Iron Titan for example). Do you resolve story book first or turn to the page for the landmark and do those options (i.e. trading) first?

8. Overall, we had fun, but didn't fid it exceptionally challenging. Maybe we got lucky, but I like co-op games to feel like you are just on the edge of loosing to keep it interesting. I was the only one ever defeated, and then only once. Possibly we were not playing right? How would you qualify the success rate on normal difficulty?

Thanks again for all your help. I am going to the con this week and plan on playing this with my buddies there (I got them Kickstarter copies) so I would love to know your thoughts.

Leo

P.S. We sleeved all our cards as they were already showing signs of wear (my son LOVES the game) but then they wouldn't fit in the box. I made a custom box insert that I will have to upload a photo of if I can ever figure out how...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
1. Item's in your discard or deactivate piles do not count towards your hand size. If your hand is full when you try to bring them back, they will go straight to your stash.

2. One person crosses at a time. So one person draws until they either fall or get across. then you reshuffle.

3. Yes you can. In the 2nd edition of the game though, I changed all "do not discard" cards to "deactivate on use".

Also I'd note if you have a full 4 player game, you should try it on hard if you don't find it challenging.

4. If the creature dies, just like if a player dies, its cards do not resolve. However, everyone still alive will resolve the cards they played that turn, even if they are against the dead creature.

5. On normal mode you only have 3 defeats for the whole group, so I think it's fairly easy to remember how many times you've been defeated. If you don't find it easy, you can certainly use some other method of tracking it, like a piece of paper or a die.

The rulebook states how death works at each part of the game, so I'd refer you to that in terms of how a landmark defeat differs from a duel defeat.

How yes, when you die, you just revive to what the difficulty stipulates. So on normal you'd return to 3 HP and 3 EP (regardless of how much EP you had when you were defeated).

6. Yeah this is a mistake in the story booklet, some chapters address it and some don't. When you start a new chapter, return all deactivated and discarded cards to your hand. EXCEPT for in chapter 4, where you get rid of all your spell and item cards at the start.

7. At the start of an adventure turn (which is after you've moved) you check story prereq's. If those are not met, you resolve the node you are currently on, then move.

8. Each chapter gets progressively harder, with chapter 4 being the most challenging in terms of how well you know the game (hint hint, pay attention to landmark options).

With 4 players, I'd recommend Hard or impossible if you don't feel challenged. Also, the game can feel less challenging if not played right (which I'm not saying you are or aren't doing, just a note).

I do find that even if people don't play the game right, they still have fun in coop.

Let me know if you have more questions! Hope you have lots of fun showing it off to your friends!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Brooks
Canada
Gatineau
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again Steve.

We understood that it was 3 defeats per person, not per group, so that bumps the challenge up a lot. Also, if those item cards were deactivated that would slow those attackers down for sure.

I'm not entirely sure you understood question 7. It was more about using both the story text and the landmark abilities, particularly for the Titan in Chapter 1. Can you do both, and if so, in what order? Does that make more sense?

Also, when taking on the Witch King in Chapter 2, do you mix in the general skill cards with the witch's skill cards or no? Also, I am assuming you don't add a creature modifier? I think the rules mention this so I will go back and check, but if you had a quick answer that would be great.

The game is still super fun, just a little harder to get off the ground in a big co-op mode. Again, I think if we had made some play mats to keep track of all the cards (discarded, deactivated, hand, stash etc) it would help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Treefrog74 wrote:
Thanks again Steve.

We understood that it was 3 defeats per person, not per group, so that bumps the challenge up a lot. Also, if those item cards were deactivated that would slow those attackers down for sure.

I'm not entirely sure you understood question 7. It was more about using both the story text and the landmark abilities, particularly for the Titan in Chapter 1. Can you do both, and if so, in what order? Does that make more sense?

Also, when taking on the Witch King in Chapter 2, do you mix in the general skill cards with the witch's skill cards or no? Also, I am assuming you don't add a creature modifier? I think the rules mention this so I will go back and check, but if you had a quick answer that would be great.

The game is still super fun, just a little harder to get off the ground in a big co-op mode. Again, I think if we had made some play mats to keep track of all the cards (discarded, deactivated, hand, stash etc) it would help.

I answered 7 correctly but I'll try and explain again . When you go get to the Lone Titan, you would resolve that story part, then resolve the landmark part of it.

You do not add general creature skills or creature modifiers to the Witch King. 1st edition rulebook states this in a round about way. As in, it only tells you to add general creature skill cards and creature modifiers to creature from attack nodes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Gibson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
And I agree, playmats would be great! I will definitly be pushing for them to come with the next big expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.