Craig J
United States
East Hampton
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

Here’s a question that deals with games and their expansions…

When learning how to play certain games that are considered “broken” or unbalanced in their natural state, is it better to learn and play the base game first, or move directly to the expansion rules?

Case in point; the following game expansions fix many problems with their corresponding base games:

- Dunwich Horror for Arkham Horror
- Shattered Empire for Twilight Imperium, 3rd Edition

Any thoughts on the matter would be much appreciated…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, play with the rules that work better, whatever that means.

If later versions clean up and clarify to the betterment of the game, use 'em.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Di Ponio
United States
Lake Orion
MI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have noticed that a lot of expansion rules actually make the game system they are designed for even better! One personnel experience is with DOOM. I liked the original...but it needed more...when the expansion came out, there were more optons to the way the game could be played (ex. Deathmatch, capture the flag) and made the game WAY more enjoyable!

In other games....new expansions also include updated rulebooks! Advanced Tobruk is a system that did a good job with that aspect. The rules were adjusted and clarified and were backwards compatible with al their games in the system.

Now games with just ONE rule book that has basic and advanced rules is a 'player interest' call. If you want the full experience of the game which uses the mechanics to its fullest capacity as the designer developed, then learn the basics...play a game...and with the rules in your head, tackle the advanced secton.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Hunter
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
badge
To approach the Other in conversation is to welcome his expression, in which at each instant he overflows the idea a thought would carry away from it. It is therefore to receive from the Other beyond the capacity of the I...
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree I almost always try to play with the most recent rules where possible. I don't think it matters too much for your first game. I also try and play with all the rules unless it is particularly complex, say a very heavy wargame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls