Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex Borders
United States
San Francisco Bay Area
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. I noticed several tiles (e.g. Robot Workshop) have all 3 icons (Dome, Triangle, Star). If I'm playing with the end-game scoring tile 'Diversity' does this tile count as having all 3 icons (effectively making that tile worth 4 points by itself) or is it instead any one icon (i.e. 'wild')?

2. The blueprint tile 'Panacea' awards any two resources and is the ONLY tile I've seen that does not say 'Max 3'. Does it in fact hold unlimited resources?

3. In the example turn on page 4, "She chooses to keep her points hidden." Are points hidden or not? I was confused.

4. Speaking of points, in the 'Achievements' expansion, each Achievement "Awards X points at end of game." All other point-scoring is done by taking point tokens from the supply, or at least that was the implication I had. Is there a reason for this exception? Or are there other tiles that only award points at end-of-game?

5. In game setup, is the resource Exchange 'full' (no one can sell to the exchange, and players can buy any resource for 1 point)? This is my interpretation but it doesn't feel right. I'd be really tempted to put resources on all 3 spaces as part of setup as a visual aid.

6. It doesn't affect game play, but it's bugging me. What do the two tubes carry? My gut feeling is the fat one carries air/water, and the skinny one power, but I'd feel better if the designer provided an authoritative answer. Call me weird.

7. Another purely thematic question - why is one of the resources 'rock'? Can I call it 'minerals' instead? It just seems more appropriate.

This will hopefully hit the table tomorrow night. Looking forward to it!

Alex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexborders wrote:
7. Another purely thematic question - why is one of the resources 'rock'? Can I call it 'minerals' instead? It just seems more appropriate.

You might not want to call them "minerals" in your home... the theme police might knock on your door!

Personally, I'm calling the rocks, "unobtainium", and just praying that the theme police don't find out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
alexborders wrote:
1. I noticed several tiles (e.g. Robot Workshop) have all 3 icons (Dome, Triangle, Star). If I'm playing with the end-game scoring tile 'Diversity' does this tile count as having all 3 icons (effectively making that tile worth 4 points by itself) or is it instead any one icon (i.e. 'wild')?
It has three Icons so it's worth 4 points.

Quote:
2. The blueprint tile 'Panacea' awards any two resources and is the ONLY tile I've seen that does not say 'Max 3'. Does it in fact hold unlimited resources?
This is the Late Game tile, so it's not going to get triggered very often (possibly twice), so I suspect that it's a moot point.

Quote:
3. In the example turn on page 4, "She chooses to keep her points hidden." Are points hidden or not? I was confused.
Me too. As money=points and the coins are printed on both sides it has never crossed my mind that there might be hidden information in this game.

Quote:
4. Speaking of points, in the 'Achievements' expansion, each Achievement "Awards X points at end of game." All other point-scoring is done by taking point tokens from the supply, or at least that was the implication I had. Is there a reason for this exception? Or are there other tiles that only award points at end-of-game?
If you took the points rather than the achievement tile that is "cashed in" at the end of the game, it would affect the economics of the game because points are also money and could be spent.

Quote:
5. In game setup, is the resource Exchange 'full' (no one can sell to the exchange, and players can buy any resource for 1 point)? This is my interpretation but it doesn't feel right. I'd be really tempted to put resources on all 3 spaces as part of setup as a visual aid.
In a 1-, 2-, or 3-player game the Exchange starts with 1 coin on each resource (you can sell one of each type) In a 4- or 5-player game you cannot sell resources at the beginning of the game.

Quote:
6. It doesn't affect game play, but it's bugging me. What do the two tubes carry? My gut feeling is the fat one carries air/water, and the skinny one power, but I'd feel better if the designer provided an authoritative answer. Call me weird.
One's a transport (rail) tunnel and the other a services tunnel IIRC

Quote:
That's weird, I always remembered them as Ore and Space Rocks, not Rock and Crystal. Rock/Ore is converted to Crystal in the Reactor, that always seemed thematically right to me.

This will hopefully hit the table tomorrow night. Looking forward to it!

Alex[/q]Let us know how you get on and what player count you use. (The 3/4/5 cutovers are interesting to me because of my group sizes)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Bennett
United States
Newton
Iowa
flag msg tools
Can you feel the Threat Level rising!?
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with mccrispy's answers above, except regarding hidden points, as it says in the rules on page 4: "Note: player resources, tiles and scoring item counts are public information, but point totals may be kept hidden." So it's an option, but I've never used it. Keeping points open info hasn't appeared to affect the gameplay thus far.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bilben04 wrote:
I agree with mccrispy's answers above, except regarding hidden points, as it says in the rules on page 4: "Note: player resources, tiles and scoring item counts are public information, but point totals may be kept hidden." So it's an option, but I've never used it. Keeping points open info hasn't appeared to affect the gameplay thus far.
One of the (few) benefits of hidden VPs is that it reduces min/max analysis in the later stages of the game: if people don't know for sure what you have in points on hand, it's very difficult for them to spend hours calculating all the possible ways to beat that score. Of course with coins of different sizes, they would have to be hidden behind a (non-existent) screen or kept in a bag or some such. We generally play open and haven't found it to be a problem (excepting wrt "posturing"/gamemanship: "you're doing a lot better than me, you'll win", etc.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

mccrispy wrote:
Of course with coins of different sizes, they would have to be hidden behind a (non-existent) screen or kept in a bag or some such.

Yeah, the question is how to keep the point tokens hidden! Unless you bring your own view block, it'd be a challenge - especially in the late game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Cunningham
United States
Edgerton
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The note on keeping points hidden or revealed is all about personal preference. If you have a player who point-counts every.single.action, then just stack your coins in various denominations to make it impossible to know EXACTLY how many you have. I personally play my points as an open pile, as the groups I play with know it's not worth the time to track exactly how many points each player has.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I.like.how.you.wrote.that.!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.