Specter Ops» Forums » General

Subject: Check it out :) this should have been included in the game! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: watchlist [+] [View All]
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I've played this game a handful of times and the Beast is probably the most popular hunter. One thing I found a little annoying is his ability where he sniffs for the agent. The mechanic felt a little clunky at first because you had to actually look at the board and determine the Beast's range... it's not really that hard to do but it just felt a little fiddly initially.

I realised after reading some posts on here that as the agent you could just use the forumla to determine if you were in range (e.g., if your coordinates were within 4 letters or numbers of the Beast) but again, it feels a little fiddly for some people to have to figure that out on the fly. Here's what I did...

I like visual aids so I made a template for the Beast's senses. I took a transparent page divider that you would use in a binder (the best colour I happened to have was yellow and it shows up really nice). I got two squares and enough leftover to make another smaller template.

I made a large square that is 21.3cm x 21.3cm (you could measure for accuracy). This should cover a 9x9 grid on the gameboard with the Beast in the center. When a hunter decides to use the ability they remove their figure from he board and place the center of the template on the Beast's space and this will show the entire range of his ability to sense/sniff the agent. My game group thought this was really cool to have this out on the board to help them see where he was able to sense.

This template idea is even more valuable to the agent. I made a smaller square that's 6.1cm x 6.1cm and this covers a 9x9 grid on the agent's sheet of paper. It's used the exact same way and can be used to tell instantly whether or not you're in the Beast's range.

I used these templates for the first time last night and my friends thought it was a really cool and useful thing to have. I think it removed the fiddliness of the Beast's ability (which really wasn't that much to begin with). Also, I felt that it helped keep people immersed in the game because we didn't have to spend that extra few moments to figure out the range manually, and it just looked cool out on the board while the hunters pondered the possibilities of where the agent was hiding.

I'll try to show some pics in a little bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantastic! I heard someone else mention this idea before and agree 100% that it would be very useful. I look forward to seeing the pics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mirko Zennaro
Italy
Spinea
Venice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
May you share in download section
Many Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are the pics as mentioned above

This is what they look like cut out. The marks in the center would be aligned with the space the beast is currently on. I believe the small one is 6.1cm x 6.1cm The large one is about 21.3cm x 21.3cm but I suggest doublechecking those measurements if you decide to cut your own

Here is the large template on the board. I just remove the beast and align the mark on his current space. If there are any tokens underneath they will likely slide around so note their positions too. I don't know how to get around this.

Here is the small template that the agent would use. Works perfectly and you can tell instantly if you're in a spot that is detected by the beast.

I hope I've inspired all of you Spector Ops players
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hazlewood
United Kingdom
Bromsgrove
Worcestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely. I'll be on the look-out for yellow transparent page dividers now to make my own

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Starr
msg tools
Awesome! I thought of this briefly one time when playing with the beast. Glad to see someone doing it! Now I'm inspired to do it as well.

I didn't think about a smaller one for the movement sheet too, that's clever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shoosh shoo
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dollar store has these things. I was hoping to find a divider that was pretty stiff. The cheap ones I got from the dollar store come in a pack of 5. The yellow one seemed to show up the best at least underneath my lighting in the house. They're also flimsy but this isn't a problem as it still works fine. I would offer to send templates out to people but honestly it's more worthwhile to do it yourselves

Maybe someone will come up with a better idea than this and show us. For now Im quite happy with this idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.