Subject: First play: Terrible. Second Play: Amazing! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jack McNamee
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
After my playing this game for the second time last night, I've fallen in love with it - but the first playthrough of the game went terribly. Hopefully my experiences can help you understand if this game is for you.

Play 1. I brought it to my weekly game group and grabbed some people in to play. I guess I'd call them "Medium-core" gamers; they come to play games each week, and some had played heavier games like Imperial Settlers. So, I was surprised when a couple of them were completely unable to understand the game.

The Bloody Inn has a lot of intricacies which new players will struggle to wrap their heads around. For example, each card has one meaning when it's in the inn, a different meaning when it's in your hand, another when its face up in front of you, and another again when it's face-down in front of you. Many of the people I played with left their hand of cards on the table instead of holding them - which confuses things even further! This is just an example - a couple of players were struggling with many of the basic mechanics even at the end of the game.

Play 2.Last night, I played it with a set of more hardcore gamers. We got a lot of the same questions and confusion, and we're still struggling to understand which strategies are good, but we had so much fun that we finished the game and immediately played it again. Every other turn, we were going "Oh - I should have done this instead!"

You need to play this game with a consistent group of people who are interested in slowly discovering and understanding the intricate strategy over multiple plays. If you want a simple, light game which most people can easily understand and play, this game is not for you.

The best fun in this game is figuring out the strategy with a group who can learn and grow together. If you have that group and you're interested in that experience, get this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Ryan
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear it!
I just bought this game, but haven't played it yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fandango wrote:
After my playing this game for the second time last night, I've fallen in love with it - but the first playthrough of the game went terribly. Hopefully my experiences can help you understand if this game is for you.

Play 1. I brought it to my weekly game group and grabbed some people in to play. I guess I'd call them "Medium-core" gamers; they come to play games each week, and some had played heavier games like Imperial Settlers. So, I was surprised when a couple of them were completely unable to understand the game.

The Bloody Inn has a lot of intricacies which new players will struggle to wrap their heads around. For example, each card has one meaning when it's in the inn, a different meaning when it's in your hand, another when its face up in front of you, and another again when it's face-down in front of you. Many of the people I played with left their hand of cards on the table instead of holding them - which confuses things even further! This is just an example - a couple of players were struggling with many of the basic mechanics even at the end of the game.

Play 2.Last night, I played it with a set of more hardcore gamers. We got a lot of the same questions and confusion, and we're still struggling to understand which strategies are good, but we had so much fun that we finished the game and immediately played it again. Every other turn, we were going "Oh - I should have done this instead!"

You need to play this game with a consistent group of people who are interested in slowly discovering and understanding the intricate strategy over multiple plays. If you want a simple, light game which most people can easily understand and play, this game is not for you.

The best fun in this game is figuring out the strategy with a group who can learn and grow together. If you have that group and you're interested in that experience, get this game.

Multi use cards are becoming very popular in games as of late (Take Castle Assault as just one simple example). Here in Bloody Inn cards can have several uses:

1. They can be accomplices.
2. They can be victims to kill.
3. They can be bodies to bury.
4. They can be structures to bury bodies under. (An Annex)
5. Resources to transition cards from one type to another.
6. If they are Policemen (of various types) they can be cards that penalize you.

Talking someone through the transitioning of the cards can be difficult for a "new" gamer. I teach this a lot, and I treat it like a path

Card --> Victim/Accomplice

Victim--->Body-->buried body
Accomplice--->Accomplice or Annex

You then explain that at each stage, the card has different abilities and impacts. (Most of which you read on the card).

Then you explain transitioning cards, and how that works.

Then people seem to get it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Mohnkern
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the real challenge in strategy for this game is in turn management. When you realize you've got 8 potential victims/accomplices every turn, and you've only got two actions, you have to choose your actions very carefully, especially when you have the police show up, and you' need to quickly figure out how to dispose of them, or how to bury your bodies.

It's interesting, because there's actually a cooperative component here, when the police show up, everyone who has bodies tends to "gather together" to figure out how to get rid of the police. I found it fascinating there were these periods of temporary truce, followed by everyone going back into their own corners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.