Hide
17 Posts

Allegiance: A Realm Divided» Forums » Rules

Subject: Simultaneously Deals Battle Damage rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Yeoh
msg tools
For this rule, what happens when the hero is attacked by a unit? For example, the mad king is attacked by a unit, and his royal guard is also defending an attacker, can the royal guard take the damage that would be dealt to the king first, subsequently take damage from the unit attacking it if he is still alive? Or the guard have to take the damage dealt to him first, then absorb the remaining damage dealt to get king?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xerial wrote:
For this rule, what happens when the hero is attacked by a unit? For example, the mad king is attacked by a unit, and his royal guard is also defending an attacker, can the royal guard take the damage that would be dealt to the king first, subsequently take damage from the unit attacking it if he is still alive? Or the guard have to take the damage dealt to him first, then absorb the remaining damage dealt to get king?

If I am not mistaken, the attacker decide on the order of attack if he send his units to attack simultaneously. Meaning he can force the Royal Guard take damage first when defending against an attack and then subsequently choose to deliver the damage from unit to the Hero for being undefended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Yeoh
msg tools
Applying this, does it also means that it makes the royal guard decree much weaker? Since you can essentially kill the guard first so that it cannot soak all the damage dealt to the king.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
xerial wrote:
Applying this, does it also means that it makes the royal guard decree much weaker? Since you can essentially kill the guard first so that it cannot soak all the damage dealt to the king.

In Allegiance, you always attack the enemy hero, unless you have an ability which says, "target unit." But the fact remains that normal attacks are always against the hero. The player can choose to have his units step in front of the attack and defend, but doesn't need to.

So, t answer you, there is no difference in how the Royal Guards take damage. They simply always soak all the damage they are able to. It's simply better to defend with them so they can hit back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Underground Games
msg tools
publisher
Units attack the enemy hero by default, then the defending player can choose for some of their units to defend against certain attackers.

All damage is dealt simultaneously, and if possible, a Royal Guard controlled by the defending player takes some of the damage dealt to the King (if the Royal Guard has health remaining to absorb some damage).

For example, let's say a player attacks with two units that have 4 attack power each. The defending player has a Royal Guard, and uses it to defend against one of the attackers. When damage is dealt, the Royal Guard will take 4 damage from the unit it defended against, and have 2 health remaining. This means that 2 damage from the other attacker will also be dealt to the Royal Guard. In the end, the King would take 2 damage, and the Royal Guard would be destroyed after taking 6 damage.

As C B noted in the post above, the same result would occur if the defending player didn't defend with their Royal Guard at all (2 damage to the King, 6 to the Royal Guard). The only difference is the Royal Guard gets the chance to deal damage back to an attacker if it defends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Yeoh
msg tools
Thanks, then the decree that let the royal guard absorb all remaining damage won't be applied if he dies defending a unit, hence it is better that the guard don't defend anyone that can kill him, so he can tank all damage being being dealt to the king. This right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Assuming I declare an attack using 2 Units and each has the Attack Value of 2. The Mad King send his sole Royal Guard which have no damage to defend against a Unit.

Will it be possible that after declaration of defenders, I play an Action card that deal 4 direct damage to a Royal Guard and then choose to resolve the attack against the defending Royal Guard ao I can destroy it and allow my other Unit to deal damage to the Mad King.

I am asking this is because if the undefended attack is made first, then I will not be able to deal damage to the Mad King. This is because the damage from the undefended attack will be transferred to the Royal Guard first. Even though the Royal Guard may have been destroyed in this process due to the initial damage it receives from the Event Card I play on it, the attack from my other unit cannot deliver any damage to the Mad King as I believe that any defended attack will not deliver damage to the Hero even if the defender is removed from the board.

Please let me know if whether my above understanding is correct and despite the attack will resolve simultaneously but the order will ne determined by the attacking player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

The attacker can declare as many or as few attacks as he wants. You do not have to attack all at once (except vs the Ranger with one of her armor's).

In your example:
- you're attacking with 2 strength 2 units at the same time
- the defender has a chance to react
- once that chain resolves (i.e. the 2 attacking units are declared), then
- the defender announces he's defending one of the units with the Royal Guard
- now you can react to announcing of defenders and play your damage action against the Royal Guard
- once that chain resolves (i.e. the Royal Guard gets wounded)
- then the battle happens, your unit deals 2 damage to the Royal Guard, killing it and the RG hits your unit back; and your 2nd unit hits the King for 2 damage

If you had announced the 2 units attacking separately, it still might effectively play out the same, but there are obviously more chances for reactions. You could even attack with the first unit (this way you pick which unit gets counter-attacked instead of the other player), let it resolve. Then as a separate event chain play your damage action. Then announce the 2nd attack.

Hope this helps.

-----

James,

I don't have the game in front of me and it's been a while since the King has been played. What decree are you talking about? Could you give the wording of it? I don't remember a decree which would make a difference in how you attack the RG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Yeoh
msg tools
Thanks CB. Here's the image. I'm starting to think I'm playing it wrong, what does this card actually do?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, I stand corrected. You are right to ask about timing. I would think that when this decree is active, that all the damage from each announced attack would get blocked. So, as the attacker, I would be more likely to split my attacks up into one unit at a time. The advantage to the King is he would get more couner attacks in before the RG dies. There is more strategy than that at play, but I'm not going to itemized it here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Choong
Malaysia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
Ok, I stand corrected. You are right to ask about timing. I would think that when this decree is active, that all the damage from each announced attack would get blocked. So, as the attacker, I would be more likely to split my attacks up into one unit at a time. The advantage to the King is he would get more couner attacks in before the RG dies. There is more strategy than that at play, but I'm not going to itemized it here.

What if the Royal Guard already has 4 Damage and is used as a defender while I am attacking with 3 units and each unit has 2 Attack Value. Will i as the attacker be able to choose to resolve the attack and Counter attack with the Royal Guard, this effectively destroying it and the damage from my other attack can be placed on the King.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
brighknight_216 wrote:
What if the Royal Guard already has 4 Damage and is used as a defender while I am attacking with 3 units and each unit has 2 Attack Value. Will i as the attacker be able to choose to resolve the attack and Counter attack with the Royal Guard, this effectively destroying it and the damage from my other attack can be placed on the King.

You can choose the resolution if you attack one unit at a time, yes.

If the Oath of Loyalty decree is active, then if you attacked with all 3 units at once all 6 damage would get blocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Yeoh
msg tools
C B, that is how I'm playing it, and yes it gives advantage to the king by forcing the opponent to attack over multiple turns. If you have other tricks in this regard, maybe you can share it with us over at the strategy section? Or here! Would be very interested!

My only doubt for the above is cuz units are supposed to die the moment they hit 0, hence the confusion on timing.

Just wanting to be absolutely clear though, is this correct and covered by the rule book?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
You mentioned, "attack over multiple turns." I just wanted to make sure that you realize that you can attack more than once per turn, as long as you have unexhausted units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Yeoh
msg tools
You're right, that's what I meant to write

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Underground Games
msg tools
publisher
xerial wrote:
Thanks, then the decree that let the royal guard absorb all remaining damage won't be applied if he dies defending a unit, hence it is better that the guard don't defend anyone that can kill him, so he can tank all damage being being dealt to the king. This right?

Oath of Loyalty will still work if the Royal Guard defends. Essentially that decree means that if you have at least one Royal Guard when battle damage is dealt, the Royal Guard(s) take all damage that would be dealt to the King that battle (the Royal Guard could be dealt more damage than it has health). Oath of Loyalty ensures that the King won't be damaged by battle damage if he has at least one living Royal Guard when the damage is dealt.

If there are no Royal Guards remaining in subsequent battles (even in the same turn), then damage is dealt to the King as normal.

brighknight_216 wrote:
Assuming I declare an attack using 2 Units and each has the Attack Value of 2. The Mad King send his sole Royal Guard which have no damage to defend against a Unit.

Will it be possible that after declaration of defenders, I play an Action card that deal 4 direct damage to a Royal Guard and then choose to resolve the attack against the defending Royal Guard ao I can destroy it and allow my other Unit to deal damage to the Mad King.

I am asking this is because if the undefended attack is made first, then I will not be able to deal damage to the Mad King. This is because the damage from the undefended attack will be transferred to the Royal Guard first. Even though the Royal Guard may have been destroyed in this process due to the initial damage it receives from the Event Card I play on it, the attack from my other unit cannot deliver any damage to the Mad King as I believe that any defended attack will not deliver damage to the Hero even if the defender is removed from the board.

Please let me know if whether my above understanding is correct and despite the attack will resolve simultaneously but the order will ne determined by the attacking player.

In this instance, an action card that dealt 4 damage to the Royal Guard would reduce the amount of damage the Royal Guard absorbs for the King. It doesn't matter if the action card is played before or after declaring attackers, as long as it is played before battle damage is dealt.

When you reach the step where battle damage is dealt, essentially just look at the Royal Guard and apply damage to it until it has no health left, then the remaining damage from undefended attackers is dealt to the king as normal. If Oath of Loyalty is in play, instead assign all undefended damage to the Royal Guards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Yeoh
msg tools
Ok thanks everybody! That cleared up one of the grey areas left for me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.