Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
10 Posts

The Oracle of Delphi» Forums » Rules

Subject: Played tile wrongly and got 2nd place: Ship Tile - Advance all Gods rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kirov Ever
msg tools
Just played the game yesterday for the first time.

I had THAT tile. That one. The gamemaster and owner of the set ruled that the gods start on the first white cloud. That became my base level.

Let me elaborate on what is this base level. He ruled that gods cannot advance if they are on the base level, even if the oracle die has their color. And that the gods/goddesses had to be on the first white cloud, to begin with, if they were to be eligible for advance. Everyone's base level were those dark clouds. My base level was on the first row of white clouds.

Two mistakes:

I read here that my base level was supposed to be the row that indicated the number of players. I SAW THE SYMBOL of people figures gathered about a table but didn't ask was that was. There were 4 players. So my gods DID start on the correct level after all.

I read here that the only base level were those dark clouds. So by these rules, I should not have had any base level, to begin with.

Still got second place, though. If true, if I had NO BASE LEVEL and if my gods got to START HIGHER UP at the 4p mark, I could have swept the game.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1666406/ship-tile-advanc...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1662821/ship-tile
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
cyampagn wrote:
Just played the game yesterday for the first time.

I had THAT tile. That one. The gamemaster and owner of the set ruled that the gods start on the first white cloud. That became my base level.

Let me elaborate on what is this base level. He ruled that gods cannot advance if they are on the base level, even if the oracle die has their color. And that the gods/goddesses had to be on the first white cloud, to begin with, if they were to be eligible for advance. Everyone's base level were those dark clouds. My base level was on the first row of white clouds.

Two mistakes:

I read here that my base level was supposed to be the row that indicated the number of players. I SAW THE SYMBOL of people figures gathered about a table but didn't ask was that was. There were 4 players. My gods could have started higher.

I read here that the only base level were those dark clouds. So by these rules, I should not have had any base level, to begin with.

Still got second place, though. If true, if I had NO BASE LEVEL and if my gods got to START HIGHER UP at the 4p mark, I could have swept the game.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/1666406/ship-tile-advanc...

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1662821/ship-tile


Yes your gods should have started at the space marked for 4 players. Which is the first white cloud so it sounds like you did that correctly.
Yes, since your gods are on the white clouds they are eligible to move when an opponent consults the oracle (rolls their dice). It sounds like you did that incorrectly.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirov Ever
msg tools
Thanks Jon Ben! Edited my post. I did start at the right level. But still. But still, not knowing this it could have been a 3p game and we advance to the 4p line.

First game so not much was expected. Our game was fraught with mistakes. A 4p but we only placed 3 cubes (offerings!) later having to add a fourth cube randomly because all 4 yellow cubes had been offered to temples and I was the last of the 4p who have not accomplished the task. Imagined the look on our faces when they realized I could never win the game because I had not yellow cube!!!

I also realized some abilities allowed gods to move twice, or 2 movements shared between two gods. Alas the game had too many intricacies about it but was good!

I loved my tile but I felt awful knowing I could have moved gods on every turn! (if the oracle die color matches and that god is not already on a throne)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florian Kalenda
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it's essential to move one more god up into the white clouds on your very first turn if you want to play competitively and don't have the said ship. That gives you a fair chance of profiting from others' rolls.

If your opponents don't do that and you own the Advance gods ship, you certainly have an advantage.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Jaffee
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Florik wrote:
I believe it's essential to move one more god up into the white clouds on your very first turn if you want to play competitively and don't have the said ship. That gives you a fair chance of profiting from others' rolls.

If your opponents don't do that and you own the Advance gods ship, you certainly have an advantage.

Whenever I play, I can't help but think I should spend my first turn getting 3 different gods started up the tracks on turn 1.

But this does come with a cost... going first is a benefit, so starting by just bumping up gods that may or may not get further bumped is like giving up your first mover advantage.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Ben
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
Of course I've been up all night! Not because of caffeine, it was insomnia. I couldn't stop thinking about coffee.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
sedjtroll wrote:
Florik wrote:
I believe it's essential to move one more god up into the white clouds on your very first turn if you want to play competitively and don't have the said ship. That gives you a fair chance of profiting from others' rolls.

If your opponents don't do that and you own the Advance gods ship, you certainly have an advantage.

Whenever I play, I can't help but think I should spend my first turn getting 3 different gods started up the tracks on turn 1.

But this does come with a cost... going first is a benefit, so starting by just bumping up gods that may or may not get further bumped is like giving up your first mover advantage.


Agreed. There is often some low hanging fruit to take advantage of, and deny to others. A nearby cube with a corresponding nearby temple. A shrine close to its delivery point, and so on. Getting to these highly accessible goals is worth a couple god bumps.

Of course if you have nothing effective to do then opening with god bumps makes sense.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Zeeb
Germany
flag msg tools
Most people in the thread already gave the correct answer. I jsut wanted to add a more official reply:

If you have the mentioned Ship Tile, all your Gods start on the white cloud that correspond to the number of players.
If you play with less than 4 players, you should pretend that the other lines do not exist.
Yes, the Ship Tile allows yout to always benefit from the other players' rolls.
Please keep in mind that you can only advance ONE OF the Gods per roll (if it "fits".)
If you use a God's special power, you return it to the white cloud corresponding to the player number. So, yes, the player with THAT tile, in a way, does not have the lowest line (brown line). He/she will never "need"/use the lowest level.

Best,
Martin, translator, for H@llGames
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Saskia Jansen
Netherlands
Voorhout
flag msg tools
I played this game three times now. The first two times, we used the rule that when you use the God's power, he goes back to the white cloud with the player number. So they basically never leave the clouds anymore. And I don't mean just the player with That tile, but all of us.

Tonight someone said that when you use the God's power, they go to the black cloud at the bottom. Meaning you have to get them on the white cloud again by using a dice. Is this correct?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
SaskiaJ wrote:
I played this game three times now. The first two times, we used the rule that when you use the God's power, he goes back to the white cloud with the player number. So they basically never leave the clouds anymore. And I don't mean just the player with That tile, but all of us.

Tonight someone said that when you use the God's power, they go to the black cloud at the bottom. Meaning you have to get them on the white cloud again by using a dice. Is this correct?


Yes. From page 8 of the rules:

Quote:
When advancing a God from the lowest row, place it on the row showing the number of players participating in the game. Otherwise advance it by 1 row.

Advancing a God during another player’s turn
Whenever another player rolls the color of at least 1 of your Gods that is not on the lowest row when Consulting the Oracle, you may advance 1 of them by 1 step.

Special Actions of the Gods
During your turn, if 1 or more of your Gods are on the topmost row of the God Track, you may use their Special Actions. After using the Special Action, return the God back to the lowest row of the God Track.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Zeeb
Germany
flag msg tools
It might be unclear what the "lowest" row is, but please compare it to the mentioned Ship Tile.

Indeed, the "lowest" row is the brown one (below the images), not the white one!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.