Imperium» Forums » Variants

Subject: Capital ships need to have several qualitative advantages. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Fitt
Thailand
Chang Mai
flag msg tools
Capital ships should have several qualitative advantages. These compensate for their longer building time & higher Maint.# and they increase their usefulness in battle over and above their 3 strength numbers.

. . 1] The qualitative advantages of Capital Ships.
. . . . . a] They take 2 Hits to be destroyed during space combat. The 1st Hit, weakens its shields and reduces the Hit # to Hit it by 1; on Vassal mark the ship as “HIT”. A 2nd Hit destroys the ship.
. . . . . . . The shields are repaired and returned to normal at the end of the next enemy Combat Phase. The "HIT" is removed then.
. . . . . . . Planetary Defense Fire destroys a Capital ship (& CR) with any one “Hit”. But a ship with a HIT will suffer a +1 DRM , not +2 if also disrupted.
. . . . . b] Capital ships can seek out, move toward, and fire at other capital ships with their weapons, which being larger have longer range. So, Capital ships can always fire at any capital ship in the line of battle.
. . . . . c] Capital ships can split their weapon and fire at 2 ships, but 1 must be the one it is paired with; the other can be any ship in the line of battle. Split exactly in half, round down. If it is paired with 2 ships it must fire at them only. They can't make suicide attacks if they split their Beams or use double Missile if they split their Missiles.
. . . . . d] The B & B1 are built in just 1 turn. They are slapped together very fast, this explains their high Maint.#.
. . . . . e] Optionally, the Beams of Capital ships can be used at long range at ¼ strength; if split, 1/8 strength. Beams still fire 1st at long range and no suicide attacks. This is a big help to the Terran M.

. . 2] Capital Ships and Large cruisers (Shield str. = 5 or 6) can screen or cover 1 ship (i.e. MS or TR) inside/behind their shields. This ship may not fire or be fired at during this combat round. During the pairing process these pairs of ships are put out together at the same time and matched by just one ship (or pair if 1 is also screened).

. . 3] Optionally, CA & CR* and maybe CS take 2 Hits to be destroyed using the same rule. Recommended for CR & CA at least.

. * . Note that I want to let the Imp. buy/build CR from the start and Put "CA" on the "Bigger Ships Table" instead of the CR, so the Imp. can sometimes also buy/build CAs. This lets them build shield str. 5 cruisers from the start.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
I know that your approach is, "I don't play Traveller, so I don't care about the background," but most of Imperium's fan base is Traveller fans. Traveller doesn't use shield--ships have armor and a few active defenses (yeah, it contradicts the rulebook). While letting capital ships screen transports and the like is a good rule, Traveller fans will balk at this simply because of the justification.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Fitt
Thailand
Chang Mai
flag msg tools
elbmc1969 wrote:
I know that your approach is, "I don't play Traveller, so I don't care about the background," but most of Imperium's fan base is Traveller fans. Traveller doesn't use shield--ships have armor and a few active defenses (yeah, it contradicts the rulebook). While letting capital ships screen transports and the like is a good rule, Traveller fans will ball at this simply because of the justification.

Thank you for your comment.

OK, but why can't the "active defenses" of large cruisers and capital ships be good enough to protect a ship behind them? Or you could let the ship being screened defend with the Shield strength of the ship that is screening it.
. . Then you would be discouraged from firing at a TR which has a very strong Shield when there is a combat ship still shooting at you that might kill you.

If their controls were linked with "data link" then the 2 ships could maneuver as one. Or put another way each ship in the squadron is paired with 1 from the other squadron and those 2 ships move as 1.

The additional ships rule posted here in another thread [the one with the "Mine-layers"] has Imperial "Defense Cruisers" that can screen 1 other ship. My rule is based on that rule.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan McKinney
United States
El Segundo
California
flag msg tools
I have no problem with your variant, just thought that the fluff needed to be changed.

I like the variant of the variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.