Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Our sky is overcast tonight, so no super moon for us tonight.

I decided to break out Leaving Earth and get in a solitaire game this evening to celebrate the moon's closest approach to the Earth in 69 years (even if I couldn't see it).

Attempting a very hard game of Outer Planets, one of the two medium missions I revealed was to put a man on the moon! The hard mission was Extraterrestrial Life (my favorite mission). This was going to be a fun game! Additionally, it appeared I could win the game by scoring the original missions and ignoring the Outer Planet missions--not that that is what I wanted to do!.

It turned out I could not land a spacecraft on the moon, so that eliminated the moon mission and forced me to attempt some Outer Planets missions.

After going for the grand tour and revealing quite a few additional points, 55 just for manned missions to Jupiter and Saturn (UGH!). It appeared I could still win with a Ceres Lander mission, and sending a massive spacecraft to Jupiter Orbit to get all four moon missions plus a man in orbit around Jupiter or one of its moons. All was going well, but the radiation level was 2 and I rolled poorly on the two year maneuver from Inner Planets Transfer to Venus Fly-By and lost both my mechanic and medic.

It went downhill from there after my craft arrived at Jupiter Fly-By and could not aerobrake into Jupiter Orbit. (I had 6 ion thrusters and my chemical rockets were needed to land probes on the various moons of Jupiter).

I had also surveyed every location but the moons of Saturn and could not find extraterrestrial life anywhere. After it was clear that I was going to lose in 1985, I flipped over Titan and Enceladus. It turns out there was aquatic life under thin ice on Enceladus.

Even though I lost, I felt like I didn't lose by much, although my mission points did not reflect this! If I had just rolled better on the radiation roll, or brought an Aldrin capsule with a few more medics instead of an Eagle with a lone mechanic and medic that would have solved one of two problems.

Bringing a Soyuz to aerobrake would have solved the other problem. Just two little things. Maybe next time I can finally score a very hard solitaire win.

I am so fond of the theme and narrative nature of this game. It brings me a lot of happiness and I am very thankful that Joe created such a neat game for all of us to enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Pollock
Canada
Saskatoon
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An excellent example for folks who wonder why they should bother with an Aldrin capsule and a big crew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skipper 2206
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great "super moon night" review ! (here i can see moon and not so much impressive.. much ligther but not so big)

gar0u wrote:
Additionally, it appeared I could win the game by scoring the original missions and ignoring the Outer Planet missions--not that that is what I wanted to do!.

Don't try this ?
https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1586180/solitaire-scoring

I only play with the rule N°3 (N°4 & N°5 seems too hard for my level)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WBRP wrote:
An excellent example for folks who wonder why they should bother with an Aldrin capsule and a big crew.

I think I have considered an Aldrin capsule full of medics almost every play of Outer Planets.

I usually get a late start and have a big, slow spacecraft on its way to Jupiter with a mix of astronauts to mitigate some risks of untested advancements (life support, landing, etc.), a lot of supplies for multi-year voyage, explorer payloads, etc--hoping to have some stuff in place to score some revealed missions. (So far that hasn't worked out, but I think it will eventually!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.